Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
Around 2006-2007, this was popular. It was never a good idea, but it solved a few issues, but created many more. By 2008, Kawasaki stopped doing it. Many 2006-07 zx10 owners eliminated this as well.

You cant really convert over to it because the ninja 1000 doesnt have room for the slip ons to sit under the fender. If you want it, find a 2006-07 zx10, or a older yamaha r1. Honda cbr 600 if you dont mind a smaller machine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Around 2006-2007, this was popular. It was never a good idea, but it solved a few issues, but created many more. By 2008, Kawasaki stopped doing it. Many 2006-07 zx10 owners eliminated this as well.

You cant really convert over to it because the ninja 1000 doesnt have room for the slip ons to sit under the fender. If you want it, find a 2006-07 zx10, or a older yamaha r1. Honda cbr 600 if you dont mind a smaller machine.
Thanks for the details @rcannan409

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
You should google search, "z1000 exhaust". Keep looking until you find the bikes from Taiwan or Vietnam. They have some exhaust systems that are even more insane than under the seat systems.

·
Registered
615 Posts

Yamaha did it too on their 1st gen crossplane R1. Always thought it looked gay. BUUUUT The burnt orange ZX10R with the undertail is so sick. There's one in pieces in the local shop. Would probably buy it, need to remember to ask the owner once it's rideable

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
You know, these pipes had some obvious drawbacks, but they burned your ***. Also, if you eliminated the cats, you smelled like fuel after any ride. Really a bad idea. Only suzuki was smart enough to not buy in.

Ducati butt f'ed themselves with this, and single sided swingarm. They were able to slowly eliminate the bad exhaust idea. I dont know if they will be able to overcome the swingarm. They let that become a part of who they are.

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
202 Posts
My 2005 CBR1000RR is under tail exhaust type.
If you live in a colder area, it's a perfect rear end warmer for the rider; not so cool & pleasurable for hot weather regions.

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
The look was awesome. It still is. That bike is almost 20 yrs old and that back end looks as new, and better finished that a new bike. By 2005, emissions were starting to be a larger deal. By putting the silencer under the seat, it let them make a longer exhaust pipe that didnt look stupid.

I dont know if it's fair to give credit to Buell. It's possible Japan had the same idea, but Buell started using the open area, under the swingarm, but before the wheel. When they started putting bread boxes there, it made the under seat systems something that you really didnt need.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Emissions could be one of the reasons, there is also performance as well.

Honda's MotoGP famous RC213V bike has an under tail pipe + side pipe (both).

Here's the list of the more current MotoGP bikes and looks like across the board, almost all of them are using under tail exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
I dont know if it's fair to give credit to Buell. It's possible Japan had the same idea, but Buell started using the open area, under the swingarm, but before the wheel. When they started putting bread boxes there, it made the under seat systems something that you really didnt need.
It had a lot to do with mass centralization. At least that's what Buell said when he first started cramming the exhaust there. The closer you can get mass to the line between the axles the easier you can get the bike to turn. I know there's lots of other factors but mass centralization was one of them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sounds like the under tail exhaust pipes are favored for the V4 engines because the it is positioned in a more direct manner to vent the engine. The front cylinders were vented by the right side pipe.

This may not be the case for the inline 4 cyl engines.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
I'm not seeing this in anything stock. Neither the Aprlia nor the ducati have underseat pipes.
What stock V4s are you seeing this in?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm not seeing this in anything stock. Neither the Aprlia nor the ducati have underseat pipes.
What stock V4s are you seeing this in?
I was referring to the MotoGP bikes.

·
Registered
615 Posts
One thing about the MotoGP bikes is that they have a right sided exhaust and an undertail exhaust, but just a single one. Doesn't make sense to me, but having a dual undertail exhaust doesn't really make sense either

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
562 Posts
I could be wrong (often the case), but I think you will find that Aprilla, Ducati, Honda, KTM MotoGP bikes are a V4 configuration. The fuel injection modules are located in the "valley" between the 2 banks of cylinders, so 2 seperate exhaust systems makes sense, as does joining each cylinder bank's 2 exhaust pipes into a single mufler outlet.

Yamaha & Suzuki are an in-line 4 cyclinder configuration, so joining all 4 exhaust together with a single muffler outlet is optimum.

·
Registered
2012 Ninja Z1000SX (Green)
39 Posts
The VFR 800 had under tail in the 6th gen. It's also a V4. Had a lot more space and didn't have the heat problems that other under tails had. Single sided swing arm too.....

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
That vfr did have both of those. With that bike, it's hard to say if those were really "new" features, or carry overs from the previous generations. But, we can assume Honda wanted them.

The undertail exhaust works on a v4. The two rear exhaust pipes can be the proper length, if you go undertail. If you try to run the normal exhaust, on the v4, you end up with all kinds of turns and bends. You see that with the ducati v4. Notice rhat the Akra exhaust system that fits it is 5000.00, too. Its very expensive to build a system, like that.

The Honda v4 was known for its single sided swingarm, going clear back to Hondas rc30. It would have been awkward to not use one.

Also worth noting is the bikes weight. The v4 is a heavy engine, anyway, and the bike weighed 535 lbs. That's after Honda did all they could to remove weight as compared to the previous gen machine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You know, these pipes had some obvious drawbacks, but they burned your ***. Also, if you eliminated the cats, you smelled like fuel after any ride. Really a bad idea. Only suzuki was smart enough to not buy in.
A friend of mine had a bike with under the seat exhaust, and said EXACTLY the same thing when I commented on how cool it was.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts