Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Name a part or parts that you installed on your bike that make a big difference in looks or functionality that are under $50.

Hoping there might be some small parts that make a big difference that I, or others, may have never thought to put on the bike....

Reactions: maddaveman

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been interested in checking out the crampbuster before....then one of my buddies started ragging on me...lol

You like it though? does it stay on 24/7 or just slip on for longer rides?

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Reflective tape, let's you personalize and makes the bike very visible. I've even added about 10" of it to my helmet. Most people can't tell it till after dark.

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
Motowerks peg lowering blocks for leg comfort for 500+ mile days & old knees. $42
Grip heaters for warm happy hands. Extends Seattle riding season to year around: $25
Pro Grip Gel grips for happier hands: $15
Throttle rocker/cramp buster for happier right hand. Free! Got it 30+ years ago and it just keeps moving bike to bike.

Blinker genies for visibility (runs turn signals as running lights): $25
5W LEDs for City Lights for visibility: $11/pair
6 neoprene washers under the front tank bracket for happier balls: $3 Less seat forward slope, less tank vibration transfers to seat.

Everything else cost more than $50.

·
Registered
11,209 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Crampbuster for $12. I have it on all my bikes since 2011. On all the time. Makes twisting the throttle so much easier. Highway riding is also more relaxed than without. Basically, you don't have to grip the throttle completely and squeeze. The Crampbuster grips and squeezes the throttle for you as you twist it.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
TPMS,,,,,,,around 50 dollars, handy set up and works great,,.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Tell me more about these blinker genies! Sounds awesome
Here you go:
https://www.customled.com/products/blinker-genie?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI37zxrcCb4gIVCyCtBh2pLQYPEAYYASABEgL8OfD_BwE
You do have to splice them into the wiring harness so a bit of know-how is needed but the added visibility is great.

Also, you'll need to replace the turn signal relay with a solid state one (~$8) so you don't get the fast blink phenomenon. You'll need to do that anyway if you replace the bulbs with LEDs.

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TPMS,,,,,,,around 50 dollars, handy set up and works great,,.
you have a link or brand suggestion? I've looked in to this in the past and heard mixed results on them, mostly negative...only reason I didn't get them

·
Registered
11,209 Posts
I would not use tpms sensors that tighten on to Schrader valve stems. These have been around for almost 200 years, and it's a foolproof system...as long as the core is in good shape.. The sensors we have, on cars, are built around this schrader valve design, and that's no problem. As the tire spins faster, it tends to force the valve stem to closed. Lots of things positive.

If you screw something onto a normal valve, it senses pressure by depressing the valve core. Almost like screwing on a tire gauge. It has a much larger chance of leaking. The threads on the valve stem become the sealing surface. These were meant to hold a rubber cap...not to hold back 40psi of air pressure.

It's not a horrible or dramatic thing, but it's never a good idea to take something that's "foolproof" and screw a piece of chinese made plastic to it.

The leaking risk is probably worth it on a boat, or trailer. On a motorcycle, you will feel a low tire and if your not checking your tires condition and pressure, on a regular basis, a number display is not going to help you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
6 neoprene washers under the front tank bracket for happier balls: $3 Less seat forward slope, less tank vibration transfers to seat.
Details on this? Is there a thread somewhere that goes through the install? (I'm not entirely clean on which bracket you are talking about installing washers on, but cutting down on vibes always sounds good to me).

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've been interested in checking out the crampbuster before....then one of my buddies started ragging on me...lol

You like it though? does it stay on 24/7 or just slip on for longer rides?
One stays on all my bikes all the time. I need to slab it an hour to/from the good roads.

·
Registered
11,209 Posts
I dont know how to count this...its either 250.00 for anew Sargent seat, or some where around 50 for a cover.

This 50.00 mod has ended up costing me abotu 1000.00 to figure out. Oh if I have to stay cheap a set of Vesrah brake pads make the rear brake useable and they are under 430.00.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vesrah-Rear-Brake-Pads-03-04-05-06-2010-2011-2012-2013-Kawasaki-Z1000-VD-434JL/223305536829?fits=Model:Z1000|Make:Kawasaki&epid=171247924&hash=item33fe0c153d:g:B2sAAOSw0UBZ6OQ0:sc:USPSFirstClass!84081!US!-1 But back to the seat....

Iv'e owned a kawasaki gel, sargent, Corbin, and stock seat. All of them sucked. This winter I decided to order a sargent (yes, a 2nd sargent) and planned to modify it. It has the best base to work with assuming someone wants to modify. All those mentioned seats had slippery covers too....hum...???.

When I ordered the seat it had the usual dropdown options. This time I chose "non welted, top stitch and their dtx fabric. The dtx fabric is a grip like material. Almost like 120 grit sandpaper. The seat is amazing. Very comfortable and it wont need mods. I know this cant possibly make a difference..the grip cover, but it does.

Motorcycle seat covers are easy too install. I seriously believe I could have fixed my stock seat had I added this dtx cover. Yes its still angled, but when you dont slip it really does not matter. In fact it actually sort-of works.

****, I see that seat covers are almost 100.00. Just cover half your seat and that will keep us under devs 50.00 limit?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The one I bought is a knock off from amazon, ill have a look if your interested however Im not selling anything,,!!

Ive had this setup on the original Valve stems for two full seasons and its worked flawlessly, deadly accurate and has never leaked an ounce of air,,. Its completely wireless and the main unit needs charging every two or three months,,. Its been sitting on the bike all winter and as soon as you touch the bike it wakes up and give an accurate read out even after months of storage,,.

Saved me once on a rear puncture,,. Heard a little pop, watched the pressure start to drop and within seconds after about three lbs loss there is an audible sound and it turns red flashing,,. The audible isn't enough to hear however the visual warning is more then obvious,. I have an OEM system on my BMW and I prefer this set to the factory install,,. The great thing about it is you have constant monitoring and no need to crawl around trying to get air and pressure gauges under those rotors,,.

you have a link or brand suggestion? I've looked in to this in the past and heard mixed results on them, mostly negative...only reason I didn't get them

·
Registered
11,209 Posts
Lag I offered the downside to the system you have. Thats really easy to do, but do they even make something like i'm talking about? Something self contained. To do that I imagine it would have to be installed inside the rim. ....just like our cars. Id mention the concours 14 but its system sucks donkey balls. Once its batteries wear out the tech wont even get out of his chair, for 50.00, and its sensors are 300.00 each plus programming. I can pay for my funeral for that.
Something like this. This would solve the problem i talked about. Damn im even under the 50.00 limit. A little harder to install, but you could wait until you buy new tires to do this.

https://www.amazon.com/genekun-Motorcycle-Monitoring-Waterproof-Protection/dp/B07L1C2RQS/ref=sr_1_20?keywords=motorcycle+tpms&qid=1557927386&s=automotive&sr=1-20

·
Registered
836 Posts
Details on this? Is there a thread somewhere that goes through the install? (I'm not entirely clean on which bracket you are talking about installing washers on, but cutting down on vibes always sounds good to me).
Check out the thread:
https://www.kawasakininja1000.com/forum/ninja-1000-appearance-modifications/23070-minor-cure-reducing-forward-seat-slant.html
Pretty self explanatory. The two bolts that hold the rear of the tank down and the front of the seat get raised up on washers. The first pics show metal washers but I used neoprene washers on the theory it would damp or isolate a bit of vibration. Cheap easy experiment.

Reactions: maddaveman

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quality earplugs. The kind that attenuate sound evenly with a filter instead of just being a simple piece of foam or rubber. Combined with a quiet helmet, it makes for such a nice experience on the road. I can hear my bluetooth unit clearly, but there’s no oppressive wind noise.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts