Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously having trouble not cancelling the turn indicator off at the appropriate time. When I say serious ,a dangerous situation can quickly arise if another road user believes you are turning when you aint ! Can a timer be fitted to cancel the indicators.What makes it more awkward for me is I ride an R1200S often enough to get used to it cancelling after 10 seconds.I have noticed when riding with a regular group the number of riders that do not notice their indicators are still operating . Our ages vary between 60 and 87 , no jokes please; the over 80's ride sports bikes.:p:D

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have the same bad habit. I just tell people I was too concentrated on the road to worry about turn signals..........

I investigated a few options but I'm about to test a much cheaper option of a cheap (literally 2 bucks) Ebay flasher unit with a built in beeper. I drilled out the hole in the end to make it louder but I haven't had a chance to really test it out yet (late spring here..).

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've seen after market turn signal cancelers BUT they require you to modify your current turn signal switch to a momentary switch.

Here is one I was looking at.. Self Canceling Turn Signal Moduleâ„¢ - Signal Dynamics

I don't have the link to the switch modification but it looked pretty easy.. It just makes the turn signal switch not latch so you don't have to "push to cancel" anymore.

~Mark

edit: I forgot about this one.. it appears it can work with the factory switch.. I didn't dig too much into it as I'm constantly canceling my turn signal.. It's just habit, even as I'm heading down the freeway... http://www.kriss.com/tscancel.php

·
Registered
82 Posts
Manik, is that unit going to work with our switch? If so, it looks like a great idea.
I looked more into the kriss unit and it looks like it works with the style switch we have without modification of the switch. However, you do have to change how you use the switch...

Basically, you push the cancel and THEN push it the direction you want. The signal will then flash for 20 or so times (there is a setting for 15 or 23). When you hit the brakes (release them) it will restart that counter.

If you cancel it yourself pushing in the switch does nothing and pushing it to the dir you are going to go turns it on again..

If you let the self canceling cancel it pushing in resets the turn signal so pushing it in the direction you want to go works again.. They say You can also just push it the opposite way instead of in. For example.. When you want the left signal push it right then left.

This video shows it the best.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85P7qx8mXNg

From the manufacturers site (and the side navigation is not good).
Fits motorcycles with one hand operated switch on the left handlebar. All brands of cancel units (including ours) must be reset by moving the switch to or past the center position to reset the signals. This is easily accomplished by adopting a habit pattern when activating the signals - simply push in on the switch before moving it each time you are going to use the signals. We DON'T ask you to attempt installing little springs inside your factory switch. The factory switch is well designed for years of service so don't fool with it. Use our unit as designed and you'll have the same results as shown above.
~Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts