Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just figured up my motorcycling expenses for the year. Payments, interest, gas, parts, repairs, and insurance came to $7543.98. If that sounds high, well, it is. It includes what I paid to repair it after the deer-ending (actually, there's a few more items for that, but they'll go on the 2018 expenses), which was covered by insurance money. But instead of taking it to the shop and paying full retail and labor to fix it, I bartered for used muffler cans, had the bags repaired at the local body shop and then added new green trim, skipped fixing the rear wheel (cosmetic only, not a safety issue), and am in the process of doing my own labor on it. I took part of the money saved there to do Ivan's flash, add a gear indicator, add a custom tank pad (another 2018 item), and upgrade the shift spring, shifter, and horn. The rest will go toward paying it off early.

It was also an expensive year for gear: $2256.22. But I invested in a Motoport jacket and pants and an Arai, plus other stuff.

Guess I better keep teaching motorcycle classes to keep the Tupperware fund solvent!:grin:

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
Lori, I wonder if its something like those Kuerig coffee makers? Meaning, they will almost give you the coffee maker because you need to buy those little k cups to use it. When you figure the coffee cost (K cup, per pound) its almost 50.00, per pound.

So, we go into our shop and see a new Ninja, marked down to 7999.00. If the average owner buy it, and then spends 3k, per year with Kawasaki, it does not take long before it was a decent deal, for all.

I wonder if Kawasaki has a rough idea of what that average figure will be?

·
Administrator
410 Posts
My cost of ownership on my Ninja last year (which included the purchase of the bike, was about $7000 :D

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first rule of motorcycle cost of ownership..........is to never talk about motorcycle cost of ownership.
...unless you're a motorcycle industry professional and your tax advisor says you can deduct a portion of your expenses!:nerd:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, and its hard to cost out a nice, summer day when you dont own a motorcycle.
A nice, summer day is priceless, motorcycle or not!:smile_big:

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have spent a good bit of money on mine with performance upgrades such as a full exhaust with Ivan's tune, full suspension rebuild etc. I know I have a lot of money invested in my 2013 that I will recover maybe a fraction of if I sell........but it was worth every penny.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts