Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 that I bought a few months ago, and I have started to notice that my bike starts better when it is cold than when it is warm. This seems strange to me as in my experience most bikes start better warm than they do cold.

Has any of you guys noticed it on your bikes?

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
I have a 2018 that I bought a few months ago, and I have started to notice that my bike starts better when it is cold than when it is warm. This seems strange to me as in my experience most bikes start better warm than they do cold.

Has any of you guys noticed it on your bikes?
When it is warm does it crank then shut off, if so its probably the fuel tank vapor locking, my bike has aways done that when hot, its a pain in the ***.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When it is warm does it crank then shut off, if so its probably the fuel tank vapor locking, my bike has aways done that when hot, its a pain in the ***.
Yes! it will turn over but then just peter out a quarter of a second later by the sound of it. I know when I come back to it after it has been sitting in the sun I can sometimes hear (what I assume is) pressure venting from the tank. Never noticed that on any of my previous bikes, I assume thats related? And is there anything that can be done about it?

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
I fixed mine. It did this the first month when I bought it.

The 18 might be different, but my 12 has a small, black tube running under the left (as you sit on the bike).

This tube was real y low quality and would kink whenever the tank dropped down into place. I then suspected it was some sort of a vent because when I removed the kink, the hard start never happened , again. Also, I never again heard that "woosh" as I opened my gas cap.

I cut the kink out and used a solid, plastic 90 degre fiting that I bought in a windshield washer repair kit. I believe it was 1/8 diameter.

It's easy to test. Nevpxt time you are in the hard start situation..my bike was so predictable, it happened whenever it was in the sun. All you need to do is open the gas tank before you try to start it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fixed mine. It did this the first month when I bought it.

The 18 might be different, but my 12 has a small, black tube running under the left (as you sit on the bike).

This tube was real y low quality and would kink whenever the tank dropped down into place. I then suspected it was some sort of a vent because when I removed the kink, the hard start never happened , again. Also, I never again heard that "woosh" as I opened my gas cap.

I cut the kink out and used a solid, plastic 90 degre fiting that I bought in a windshield washer repair kit. I believe it was 1/8 diameter.

It's easy to test. Nevpxt time you are in the hard start situation..my bike was so predictable, it happened whenever it was in the sun. All you need to do is open the gas tank before you try to start it.
Will try it out next time! And try your fix if it works. Thanks!

·
Registered
965 Posts

Mine was kinked a few years back (never to the point of hard starting) but I couldn't find a 90 degree fitting in the garage at the time. So I slipped some heavy duty heat shrink over the hose, got out the heat gun and sort of "heat formed" the bend so it wouldn't kink.

I probably should go back and fix it properly with a fitting as it's still a weird bend for a hose.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok in my case I found the idling in warm to be at 950 rpm as the culprit .all I did was to twist the rpm adjusting knob to increase it to the reccomended 1050+/- 50 . I set it to 1000 rpm and my problem is gone

·
Registered
180 Posts
I could be wrong, but I believe 1300 RPM is where it should be idling at. 1000 seems low to me.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Happens with my '18 all the time after a gas stop. I just thumb the starter for a second or two longer than normal.
My 15 is the same way. After riding awhile it'll take longer on the start button to get running. Even after opening the gas tank to get fuel.

·
Registered
924 Posts
If you have to open the gas cap to get air in the tank then the tank's vent hose is kinked/plugged. It's the same on my '11, '14 and now '18. On my '11 it first happened after the 25k mile service. It took a while to figure out why the bike sat in the garage whistling at me. Once I did my solution was to identify which hose sticking out the bottom of the bike was the vent hose and to grab it with some pliers and give it a tug. Straightened out the kink and all was good. Now I do that every time I raise the tank because, as has been stated, it's a wimpy hose and kinks easily.
As bikes get older and if you occasionally overfill the tank as I do, about once a year stick the air compressor on the vent grommit in the tank neck and give it a shot of air. A couple of times a bit of schmutz gets blown out of the hose.
To get back to the original post, maybe 3-4 times since I've been riding Ninjas, a restart after a gas stop has yielded the bike firing up and immediately dying. The solution has been just another 2 second hit on the starter button hit. Given it happens about once every 2-3 years, I haven't pursued a "fix".

·
Registered
367 Posts
To get back to the original post, maybe 3-4 times since I've been riding Ninjas, a restart after a gas stop has yielded the bike firing up and immediately dying. The solution has been just another 2 second hit on the starter button hit. Given it happens about once every 2-3 years, I haven't pursued a "fix".
Mine never starts then dies. It just won't start once I've been riding awhile unless I stay on the starter button a second or two longer than normal.

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
Chowda, the test for that is to open the tank before that hot start. Once it starts fine, and it will, that tells you it's time to follow what Kenors mentioned.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Give it a little gas when you start it up warm.

I did however have an issue with one of the hoses being kinked, I would stall sometimes when I blip the throttle. (Idle set at 1,150). I pulled on the hose and it fixed it, even the idling all was fixed all of a sudden.

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
Mine was really easy to fix. I had to remove the body work, but after that, it was a nothing.

Remove bodywork. Flip up the front of the tank. Do this when the fuel tank is near empty and the tank isn't very heavy.

Once the tank is flipped up, look under the tank. On the left side you will see a small tube attached to the under side of the tank. Maybe is @ 1/4", and black. Notice how when you sit the tank down, the tube gets folded. If they used good tubing, this would be a non issue. Good tubing will handle a bend, without folding. This stuff wont.

As a quick fix, I used a fitting from one of the windshield wiper fluid repair kits. I cut the kinked section out and substituted this 45 degree fitting. That was it. No more hard starting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts