Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed my chain sounding off so i bought some of the chain saver chain wax with teflon a while back, was going to take my daughter for a ride so i tried it because it said it dried in 30 minutes, applied it liberaly and waited 30 minutes and off we went, definately quitened the chain down, so ill see how long it last, one thing about it it dont smell bad and dries fast with no sling off

·
Registered
709 Posts
Is "chain saver" the brand name?

I use stuff that dries fast too. I use either Bel-Ray or Motorex Road. All this talk about fling-off has never been a problem for me. Both of the brands I use are dry in about 10 minutes although I have never ridden the bike less than a few hours after lubing.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It says dupont chainsaver with wax and teflon in a yellow can and they have it at wal-mart in the sporting good section where the atv section is, just felt the chain and it definately has a waxy feeling to it, what i like about it is you can saturate the chain real good and it doesnt make a big mess, its in an aerosol can by the way

Reactions: Ishikawa

·
Registered
127 Posts
It says dupont chainsaver with wax and teflon in a yellow can and they have it at wal-mart in the sporting good section where the atv section is, just felt the chain and it definately has a waxy feeling to it, what i like about it is you can saturate the chain real good and it doesnt make a big mess, its in an aerosol can by the way
I have been using the same DuPont chainsaver lube and like it a lot.no mess
and seems to hold up well.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have been using the DuPont Chain Saver for a while now and notice that my chain stays much cleaner, much longer, so that I have increased my cleaning from 200-300 miles to 400-500 miles.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
Chain wax is awesome for the street. Not great if you mix dirt in, but it's great otherwise. Maxima makes good stuff, too.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Good stuff. I've found it lasts longer in the rain/wet as well. Maxima chain wax is good too, but doesn't seem to hold as well in the wet.

Give Motorex chain cleaner a try when it's time to clean the chain. It's pricey, but just a little bit of that stuff goes a long way. All the gunk that builds up on the chain and sprockets just melts off with that stuff.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like i found a new product, seems to work pretty good, chain feels good and slick

·
Registered
316 Posts
Used chain wax, wasn't a fan. Switched to belray and like it.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Added benefit if you accidentally spray chain saver on your wheel rim it will polish and wax it when you wipe it off

·
Registered
316 Posts
What didn't you like about it?
The chain I used it on didn't last well at all - 8k miles?? Backstory is I put a new chain and OE sprockets on the bike after the stockers wore out (hard spots, stretched) The replacement chain lasted about 8k when it started to develop spots that were stiff enough it was causing a lot of chain slap and it seemed to be stretching worse than the OEM, which went about 10k (the guy who owned the bike before me didn't clean the chain ever I think, it was dirty as **** when I got it).

Not on purpose, I ended up having to buy the same brand chain with a 520 conversion kit. It went 18,000 miles on it, no issues or hard spots before the bike got sold for my ninja. The only difference was the chain size and the type of lube I used, which I switched to using the belray one.

I suppose its a bit anecdotal, but I feel like the belray works better, and I like how it applies and stays on and doesn't seem to whip off at all. I had a good bit of fling with the chain wax that I was constantly cleaning off.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I've used Dupont Chain Saver for as long as I can remember. I have 47k mi on my chain (different bike) and it still looks good and holds tension.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It definately keeps the chain alot cleaner and it sure makes it slick.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
The chain I used it on didn't last well at all - 8k miles?? Backstory is I put a new chain and OE sprockets on the bike after the stockers wore out (hard spots, stretched) The replacement chain lasted about 8k when it started to develop spots that were stiff enough it was causing a lot of chain slap and it seemed to be stretching worse than the OEM, which went about 10k (the guy who owned the bike before me didn't clean the chain ever I think, it was dirty as **** when I got it).

Not on purpose, I ended up having to buy the same brand chain with a 520 conversion kit. It went 18,000 miles on it, no issues or hard spots before the bike got sold for my ninja. The only difference was the chain size and the type of lube I used, which I switched to using the belray one.

I suppose its a bit anecdotal, but I feel like the belray works better, and I like how it applies and stays on and doesn't seem to whip off at all. I had a good bit of fling with the chain wax that I was constantly cleaning off.
I see now. You're right about fling, that's for sure. I think that's part of the point with the wax based lubes. The wax gets dirty, and flings off the chain. Of course, if the chain is never cleaned, the stuff just builds up and turns into a mild lapping compound, lol. The Maxima stuff I use seems to have far less build up, and seems to fling less, and actually flows into the chain better. But hey, if the Belray works, then I'd stick with it as well.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I think they probably all work just fine, more personal preference than anything else.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After putting a few hundred miles on my bike after putting on the chain saver wax i am impressed, chain is clean and still slick when you feel of it.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ive come to the conclusion that chain saver chain wax is my chain lube of choice now, i love the way it doesnt smell toxic like what i was using before. I lubed my chain on the honda with the standard lube with teflon and all its other liquid properties and the bike has been basically sitting in my garage, got it out to ride and charge the battery and it was like the chain lube evaporated, couldnt believe how dry the chain was. Cleaned the chain and throwed the chain saver at it. I went ahead and reapplied to the ninja also, i actually dont dread lubing the chain now. I also believe the chain is alot quieter,So im off to walmart to try and find 3 or 4 cans to buy up.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
I've found chains that don't last long are often caused by people over maintaining them. As in constantly tightening it to the minimum level.

Unless it's way, way loose, nothing bad happens.

I would have said to avoid bel ray, which makes me wonder if we ride in really different weather conditions?

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RC i ride in dry conditions want ride in the rain, most of the road systems are paved asphalt where im at, so i dont do gravel roads and alot of the roads i maintain a constant speed except down shifting in the mountains. In my case its just keeping the lube on the chain.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts