Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this bike have transmission issues? The UK based magazine, "Ride" has a feature on the z1000sx. In this article they tell us everything we already know about this bike. Nothing new. Nothing you couldn't learn in a five minute forum visit. This is the March 2020 issue. They dont even mention an ecu reflash.

They do warn owners about an issue with 4th gear and they do specify "early bikes".

I'm not sure I agree. I know we have had a few people talk about transmission damage. One just recently, in fact. I know 2 of the three issues I saw, on rider forum were quick shifter related. I also remember one issue where the owner had crashed.

I know we do t see everything, but between this forum and the z1000 forum, I dont think we've seen enough evidence to say this bike has transmission issues, overall.

·
Registered
284 Posts
March 2020?

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It really is March of 2020. They have always been several months ahead of reality.

Rikifumi, I wonder how the 2020 ninja will be with it's quickshifter? That's scary when a magazine bike has issues. Figure they are still hand picked and checked over 100%...maybe?

·
Registered
284 Posts
It really is March of 2020. They have always been several months ahead of reality.

Rikifumi, I wonder how the 2020 ninja will be with it's quickshifter? That's scary when a magazine bike has issues. Figure they are still hand picked and checked over 100%...maybe?
Haha, that's funny. Why would they even release magazines with a timeline 2 months ahead? Wonder how it helps them?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does this bike have transmission issues? The UK based magazine, "Ride" has a feature on the z1000sx. In this article they tell us everything we already know about this bike. Nothing new. Nothing you couldn't learn in a five minute forum visit. This is the March 2020 issue. They dont even mention an ecu reflash.

They do warn owners about an issue with 4th gear and they do specify "early bikes".

I'm not sure I agree. I know we have had a few people talk about transmission damage. One just recently, in fact. I know 2 of the three issues I saw, on rider forum were quick shifter related. I also remember one issue where the owner had crashed.

I know we do t see everything, but between this forum and the z1000 forum, I dont think we've seen enough evidence to say this bike has transmission issues, overall.
the magazine claims the transmission problem is with the early bikes meaning early ninjas or early release 2020 bikes?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ozzy, they dont get any more specific than saying, "early bikes". I believe they are talking 11..12....13 year early as the 2020 bike isnt even available yet. Even if they had a 2020, they would have very little experience with it.

I believe the dates are ahead of reality because of the news stands, or magazine stores that were popular over the past years, but not so much anymore. The date being so far ahead means the paper version could sit there for 3 months and never look out of date.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I vaguely recall someone reporting problems with their bike not staying in fourth gear, and a photo of a worn shift fork.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The exact words are:

The number one issue is gearbox wear. Its not a problem affecting many bikes. There was no official recall, but its significant enough to mention. First symptoms are false neutrals (Usually 4th to 5th), then hesitation, or skipping, under acceleration, then finally, refusing to go into gear. The only fix is dropping the engine and fitting a new gearbox, which is predictably expensive.

Then, in the closing section it says "Not so good...Heavy steering, potentially delicate transmission on early bikes."

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was also strange in the way they dealt with overcoming this " issue" . They mention that a test ride is important and be sure the bike you are testing will stay in gear..especially 4th. Wow.....thank you, from the no **** department.

I know that my stock clutch was pretty bad. I'm not sure everyone had this on the 11-13 bikes. A few did. Others never mentioned anything . My stock clutch never would release properly, it was noisy, and very inconsistent as you left stop lights and such. Drilling for better oil flow helped . There were way more complaints about the clutch than transmission issues.

·
Registered
332 Posts
RC, my 2012 has been flawless in the transmission/clutch department. 22k miles now. Maybe the previous owner did the oil hole drilling of the basket. Anyway, it's not as light as my 2018 Slipper/Assist clutch. It's more old school clutch effort (a bit heavy compared to modern standards). But the clutch action and feel is fantastic. So easy to launch the bike and the clutch grabs on strong. I do have to time the shift/clutch action perfection to get a smooth transition in the first 2 gears at anything below 6k RPM. Above that I can almost "quick shift" the transmission with very little clutch. Really prefer the feel of the '12 clutch over the slipper-assist '18 clutch, but I would like the lighter clutch effort.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I used the "tilt the bike to the right" method after every oil change to deal with the dry clutch issue on my '11 and '14. Still amazed that one oiling of the plates every 5k miles keep them from sticking/chattering. 41k and 68k miles respectively with no problems.

I hardly ever use the clutch above 2nd gear. A little pressure on the shifter, dip or blip the throttle for up or down shifting and away you go.
6" of snow last night so there won't be any blipping or dipping for a while... :(

Reactions: mr.sand

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The assist slipper really does not have a great feel, does it? It's an excellent clutch, and a brilliant idea, but the feel just isnt there compared to a normal clutch. It's still worth having, just a different feel. Mines better after several thousand miles. That sticking sensation became less as time went on.

I think that is due to how those built in ramps stick together. It's an odd sensation when those begin to slip apart. It's almost like it sticks for a split second, then separates.

Kenors, if this bike had transmission issues, I feel like you would have had them. You've had several ninjas, and lots of miles.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Haven't there been a couple posts from people experiencing popping out of gear issues?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Kenors, if this bike had transmission issues, I feel like you would have had them. You've had several ninjas, and lots of miles.
But, I am almost never shifting near redline. I'm fairly easy on equipment except for occasional crashes. :(

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know my shifting was a thousand percent better after installing the factory pro shift spring. It was difficult and time consuming to install, but very worthwhile. Its 40.00 for a 2.00 spring, but really works.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts