Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted on this forum last May that I was between this, the C14, and F6b. I finally tired of riding that big beast and my wife said if I got something she could ride, she would, if not, well then no more riding for her.... Hopefully she can deal with riding this one. My 13 year old rode down on the F6B and back on the N1K. There's definitely not as much room on this bike, but I much prefer the 340 pounds less weight and awesome power and steering feel. Did not follow break in period..... The dealer is 90 miles from home, Sport Cycles in Rockingham. I've bought the following bikes from them new: 99 ZX9R, 2004 GSXR600, 2008 CBR1000RR, 15 F6B Goldwing, and now this. No one touches their deals. They just dropped the 15 N1K to $8999. Their only fee was the $85 doc fee. I lost some money on the F6B, but he offered me over $1k more than our local dealer and the crazy price on the bike! Can't wait to ride it in better weather, it was about 52 degrees and crazy 30mph wind gusts. Not fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
828 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. Hopefully your wife is on the small side because the pillion seat doesn't offer much room. Definitely a complaint of my wife's.

Put some more time on it and tell us what you think about it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
FB6 is a really,really cool bike. But if you walked away from it then it did not meet your needs.

The Ninja is fun for sure. I hate the name but the bike is great.

Hope you have fun on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Other than the low end torque, I never really "loved" the F6B like so many seem to. Now if this bike fills my desire for a 03-06 600 CC sportbike, I may look for an inexpensive bagger type that she would ride.

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
I know an f6b, concours 14, and other 700 lb bike has room, but I agree with you. For most ridign conditions, I'll take something smaller, physically.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Congrats and welcome from NC. I bought my 2015 from Brian at Sportcycles a couple of months ago. Awesome place. I have purchased 3 bikes from them since last year.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I posted on this forum last May that I was between this, the C14, and F6b. I finally tired of riding that big beast and my wife said if I got something she could ride, she would, if not, well then no more riding for her.... Hopefully she can deal with riding this one. My 13 year old rode down on the F6B and back on the N1K. There's definitely not as much room on this bike, but I much prefer the 340 pounds less weight and awesome power and steering feel. Did not follow break in period..... The dealer is 90 miles from home, Sport Cycles in Rockingham. I've bought the following bikes from them new: 99 ZX9R, 2004 GSXR600, 2008 CBR1000RR, 15 F6B Goldwing, and now this. No one touches their deals. They just dropped the 15 N1K to $8999. Their only fee was the $85 doc fee. I lost some money on the F6B, but he offered me over $1k more than our local dealer and the crazy price on the bike! Can't wait to ride it in better weather, it was about 52 degrees and crazy 30mph wind gusts. Not fun.
WOW - great price. Hard bags included?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, didn't get bags since I wanted to make sure my wife will even want to ride. I did order the oem tank bag and tank protector since they give 15%off and I know that bag fits right. Also 20 liters!! I'll get soft bags if she hates it for the few solo weekend trips I might take with NC sportbike friends.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, what are the first few mods to consider that aren't big mo? Already looking for a FE. Saw someone suggested at 16th front sprocket. Exhaust looks like a waste of money for the minimal gain, Ivan's ecu seems the best b4b. Other thing I'm looking for is a a better windshield for wind protection.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Depends on how you use it. If a lot of highway running, the 16T up front. Ivan's reflash should be factory equipment. The lights suck worse than any other bike in recent memory. Urban Brawlers are great bang for the buck and save a lot of weight. With the ECU and mufflers it smooths out.

The 16T gets your revs down at cruise and helps out on vibes, improves MPG but does NOT hurt peak acceleration up through the gears. It does take a touch of rollon in 6th but Ivan more than gets that back.

I will be putting a better windscreen up for sale shortly. I have lightly tinted one. A better windscreen really helped me out on the highway. The stock is mostly decorative.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
So, what are the first few mods to consider that aren't big mo? Already looking for a FE. Saw someone suggested at 16th front sprocket. Exhaust looks like a waste of money for the minimal gain, Ivan's ecu seems the best b4b. Other thing I'm looking for is a a better windshield for wind protection.
I did the windscreen, tail-bag and flash and am now working on the seat. I agree, with Ivan's flash the exhaust can be a waste of money. I may do slip-ons just for looks and sound but even that would be last on my list.
For me its:

Windscreen- Puig
Seat- custom
Flash- Ivan
Luggage- Kawi tail bag come in handy (I already have the factory hard bags as well)
Tires- 190/55 spec, Angel GTs or Power Pilots
FE- haven't decided
Rear shock- ohlins

That's all I'm doing and I may wait on the rear shock. The rest of the mods are a must. When I get my seat back I'll see if I need the flatter Z1000 pegs for more room but that's all I'd do with the pegs. Can't set them back with those cans in the way and can't drop them without scraping.

Many do much more than this but this is all I'd ever notice having an impact on the way I ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats! I bought my 15
from Sports Cycle too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sounds like you've been doing your homework. For me, the 16T sprocket was a huge improvement due to the annoying buzziness around 6K RPM. Considering it's a fairly cheap and easy mod, it's a no-brainer for many of us. Of course, better seat and windscreen is nice. And, if you're looking to enhance touring comfort, risers and maybe even lowering blocks for the pegs might be worthwhile. If you're an aggressive rider, a tire upgrade is in order, maybe PR4's or Angels and definitely, the "55" spec on the rear tire. Lighting is another area needing improvement. Take a look at some of the latest LED H7 bulbs for the headlights. A couple of us can make suggestions on that. I could go on but maybe that's enough for starters.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Look at some of my early posts. I went into great detail about the mods and I did and why. Probably around December when I was putting a lot of miles in a short time on the bike. I did in depth performance modeling on the bike as well.

Some good info here on my impressions.
http://www.kawasakininja1000.com/forum/ninja-1000-general-discussion/6873-long-review-my-2014-ninja-1000-abs-after-24-hours-1400-mile-ride.html

Performance Modeling here:
http://www.kawasakininja1000.com/forum/ninja-1000-general-discussion/7001-n1k-performance-modeling.html

·
Registered
456 Posts
No, didn't get bags since I wanted to make sure my wife will even want to ride. I did order the oem tank bag and tank protector since they give 15%off and I know that bag fits right. Also 20 liters!! I'll get soft bags if she hates it for the few solo weekend trips I might take with NC sportbike friends.
Don't buy the OEM tail bag, it's a disappointment. Never used mine, bought the Nelson Rigg sport tail bag.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts