Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked it up this morning. I was able to run the backroads home until I had to stop and put rain gear on. I put 120 miles on it, 110 nonstop. I also hit some fast curves that I ride all the time.

I am very impressed with it.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
I like that Honda. Glad you got the red paint Instead of the flat black. That's the last of the Honda cbr's that are still good street bikes . That's all over with the 2020/21 model.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The flat black looked good in the pictures, but I saw one in person (actually the 600) and didn't like it. I was cleaning the bike in my garage under some really good LED lighting and the red may be the best red I’ve ever seen.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have always liked Honda motorcycles. My first two bikes were Hondas. I had a 2007 CBR 600 RR that was probably the easiest bike to ride fast that I ever owned. I could put it where ever I wanted on the road with such ease.

Congrats on getting the CBR 1000. I would love to have one but my old body no longer tolerates the super sport riding position.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
When Honda has money to spend on the bikes production, the paint is incredible. I thought the Goldwings paint was like that, too. I think that ended up making the flat black bike look cheap. Not that it was, but high quality flat black isnt anything special, but the red was.

That's an impressive bike, in so many ways. Its light. 20lbs lighter than a zx10. Almost 40 lighter than the aprilia. Thats insane on machines that are not overweight to begin with.The traction control system is also fascinating. The hardware is the same as everyone else uses, but the way its used is something only Honda could do. Theres a ton of into on the cbr forum. The member "Rc45" should write a book. He understands the bike better than Honda does.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Just did a little reading. That is an awesome bike, but like johnmark, I don't think my body would like it.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
If Honda had any sense, they would keep it in the line-up and turn it into a Streetfighter. It could be like the fz10, but 40 lbs lighter. The 2020/21 model went in a completely new, non street direction, and its priced at 28,500.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have always liked Honda motorcycles. My first two bikes were Hondas. I had a 2007 CBR 600 RR that was probably the easiest bike to ride fast that I ever owned. I could put it where ever I wanted on the road with such ease.

Congrats on getting the CBR 1000. I would love to have one but my old body no longer tolerates the super sport riding position.
When Honda has money to spend on the bikes production, the paint is incredible. I thought the Goldwings paint was like that, too. I think that ended up making the flat black bike look cheap. Not that it was, but high quality flat black isnt anything special, but the red was.

That's an impressive bike, in so many ways. Its light. 20lbs lighter than a zx10. Almost 40 lighter than the aprilia. Thats insane on machines that are not overweight to begin with.The traction control system is also fascinating. The hardware is the same as everyone else uses, but the way its used is something only Honda could do. Theres a ton of into on the cbr forum. The member "Rc45" should write a book. He understands the bike better than Honda does.
Just did a little reading. That is an awesome bike, but like johnmark, I don't think my body would like it.
I have to admit that I did not realize just how extensive the change to the 2017-2019 version was until I saw the pricing on the leftovers and decided to research them more. It's amazing that the bike is basically as light as my 1199 Panigale.

I put another 150 miles on it this morning. I really like the bike a lot. Here is a link to a write up I did on the CBR forum on my initial thoughts on the bike...

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
I think your specific bike will be remembered as the last supersport that was built with real riding in mind.

The production rules, for racing, have ruined the whole category . Just like they did for Motoctoss bikes. 1.5 gallon fuel tanks? Things like that. In order to compete at the top level, the bikes had to become race bikes. As cool as that sounds, it really isnt in the real world. The zx10 is geared to do over 100 mph, in first gear, and its a close ratio transmission. If you gear it down, now you are turing 8000 rpm at 80 mph. Horrible for a long days riding. The major parts of the bike follow the same theme. The zx10 rr uses ti con rods. Awesome until you realize doing this added 5000 to its cost.

Honda had to follow the same path and rhe 17-19 fireblade is pretty much the last of its kind. Made with race potential, but not at the expense of real world conditions.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting observation. It will be interesting to see how the CBR1000rr-r sells.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
Its sounds like the USA is only getting 50 of the 2020 (2021?) Fireblade. It's only available as the high end, sp model, and its 28,500. Some of the other countries will get a base model, but even at that, the new base model is priced closer to 20,000. It will be interesting g to see if people will spend Ducati like money on a Honda. Maybe the price isnt that redicilous? The 2019 zx10rr has a list price of 25k. If I wasnt old and feeble, I would buy one.

As crazy/cool as the new bike is, your bike is 10-15 lighter. Some engineer went through that "old" bike and removed weight from anywhere it was possible to do so.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 28,000 is the rr-r which is virtually an all new bike to compete with the Ducati Panigale R. The SP is essentially a base rr with electronic Ohlins, ABS and Quick shifter standard and a titanium exhaust. It’s 20,000. The base rr is unchanged from what I have.

You are basically right except it did not turn out as originally planned. There never were any 2020s and the rr-r was supposed to be out a few months ago. But it’s now due in September as a 2021. But there will be base 2021s also.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
The model year gets confusing when they do it like that, doesnt it? From what they said , earlier, there was a base cbr1000rr-r, but we wouldnt see it in the US. They must have changed their minds, or that was regarding the 2020 that isnt here yet? I like the base model they show on Hondas uk site. It still has the red paint and is priced at 19,999 pounds, I suppose?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a 2015 N1k that I really like and have no intentions of getting rid of. But, I see folks (usually much younger than me) on those crotchrockets and I think that just once I'd like to ride one. 600, 750, 1000 it doesn't matter. From what I've read and videos I've seen they seem like they'd be super agile and easy to ride at a decent pace. Bet it's a blast!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts