Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For many years, and over 150,000 kms I used my ZRX1200, as a Multi-Day Sports-Tourer. The only real drawback was the absence of a centre-stand which made lubricating the chain a challenge while on a trip.

Fast forward to now, and my intention (should I ever emerge from Covid-19 lock-down) is to also use my N1K as Multi-Day Sports-Tourer. And again, the absence of a centre-stand is an issue.

I also note that there is a discussion that lubricating the N1K chain being "a pain", but it does not need to be.

There are a couple of commercial touring jacks available (Pack Jack & Quick Stand) but these are expensive, especially to import into Australia, and they are somewhat large and heavy.

So, after a couple of glasses of a fine Merlot, my solution was to just made my own.

** Edit: I should add that the original design was made some years ago for the ZRX and I have recently modified the length to suit the N1K.

It was cheap and easy to make (you only need a hacksaw & tape measure), and weighs only 170 g / 6 oz.

It packs down to a really small size for easy storage in your saddlebag (about the size of a tube of toothpaste) and it easily lifts the rear wheel off the ground which makes lubricating the chain so much easier. So much so that I usually lube the chain at the end of each day's ride.

I bought most of the parts at my local hardware shop. The only difficult part to find was the 8mm metric (M8) bolt that screws into the swing arm as it has a special (1.25) thread size.

If anyone is interested in making their own Touring Jack, let me know and I'll see if I can upload the building instruction. In the meantime, here are a photo for your viewing pleasure.

·
Registered
10,539 Posts
I like the idea behind that stand. It would also be useful if you had a flat tire. The sidestand doesnt help much with a flat rear tire. You could stuff this thing in there and have it support the bike.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Pretty cool sir...!

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
76 Posts
Nice. I tried I think it was the snap jack that you stick under the swing arm and push with your foot, but could never get the technique right and just pushed the *** end of the bike around. I did find a spot on the frame where I could stick a regular spare tire car jack when I want to lube and clean my chain though. That was an awesome discovery. Now I know that if I break down, a standard spare tire changing kit in a small car will work in a pinch if I can flag someone down.

I'd love some build instructions for this, though!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Neat idea. I've got these T-Rex spool adapters on mine right now, and I might try coming with something similar that uses that notch.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Do those just set the spools back a bit so the exhaust doesn't snap them off?
I believe that is the primary purpose. See here: T-Rex Racing 2014 - 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 / Z1000 Spool Adapters

They also allows you to use a different stand that engages the notches instead of the spools. I don't really need these, since I went with aftermarket exhaust from day 1, but they were bundled with the package I bought, which included frame & axle sliders, plus case guards. I actually like them for a different reason. I kept the stock plate holder (rear fender), which kinda gets in the way of the paddock stand handle. Moving the spools farther to the rear helps clear the handle.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I believe that is the primary purpose. See here: T-Rex Racing 2014 - 2019 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 / Z1000 Spool Adapters

They also allows you to use a different stand that engages the notches instead of the spools. I don't really need these, since I went with aftermarket exhaust from day 1, but they were bundled with the package I bought, which included frame & axle sliders, plus case guards. I actually like them for a different reason. I kept the stock plate holder (rear fender), which kinda gets in the way of the paddock stand handle. Moving the spools farther to the rear helps clear the handle.

I think your right. My spools are too far forward and I have a little bit of an issue with the lift hitting my rear fender stuff too.

But doing a pole lift off the spool could be a nice solution too since I don't want to remove my spools.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts