Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a top case and mount compatible with the factory hard bag option on the 14 ?

Seems like the Givi Monokey, mono rack systems say not compatible.
Givi site claims not compatible with the 35litre bags but I thought my factory bags are 28litre...I'm confused and don't want to pull the trigger on a $700
Mistake.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would definitely do the research beforehand. I just installed givi easy lock saddlebags and a givi topcase on my 2011. They used the same mounting anchor spots and work well together. I dont think the 14's have the mounting spots available. How are the grab rails secured to the frame?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The factory grab rails are replaced with new grab rails with saddlebag mount receiver
integrated into it. the confusing data I'm getting from the Givi website and my dealer is
They say the 39litre top case and mount is not compatible with the 35litre side bags.
My factory bags are 28litre....I can't find anybody that put a top case on a 14 ninja1000ABS
With factory saddlebags.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
fjscott check out ventura-mca.com. They make a luggage rack for 2014 w/ factory bags. I am sure you could make the Kawasaki top box work.

·
Registered
483 Posts
kawisaki sells them directly for the 2014's. It is in their swag catalog. Be warned after brackets and such the top box is about 800 bucks... ouch!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
kawisaki sells them directly for the 2014's. It is in their swag catalog. Be warned after brackets and such the top box is about 800 bucks... ouch!!!
Right, but if you scroll to the bottom on the kawasaki site you'll see a little asterisk that says top case not compatible with 28litre side bags... the question was has anyone found a top case that CAN be used with the factory side cases.

I too would very much like to know this!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The 2014 factory panniers are not compatible with any top case that I'm aware of. The way they are mounted wont allow for a top case bracket. Plus they are only 28 liters vs the givi v35's which are 35 liters each and match perfectly with the 47 liter top case and you have 117 liters of packability! The The Givi setup also has the quick release option so they detach and the frame comes off in 30 seconds. Not to mention that my entire setup cost less than the overpriced factory bags from Kawasaki. The givi monokey system uses 1 key for all the cases so it's very convenient.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I havnt found a single company making a top case mount for the factory 2014 side cases........you have to ditch the oem cases and go with Givi!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Too bad Kawi didn't make grab handle/rack attachments for the N1K like the new V1K has on it. Seems like they could have done a similiar top rack, even if just for the smaller topcase. Seems odd that they would have only done one or the other, seen as the the previous set up had the potential for both side and top case attachment?

·
Registered
20 Posts
As someone else mentioned earlier in this thread the Ventura rack does do the trick..

These are pics from another forum of folks who've done it successfully. It doesn't look the greatest but it works. I've got the Kqr 47 (Kawi branded givi v47) coming next week with the same setup.

One nice thing about it is that it can be reversed if you don't have a pilon...

I may try and use parts of this rack but have a fabricator make something that lowers it and bring it back a little after a while..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks like the top case is the only thing I'm going to have to work with for a while.. Just found out the oem sidecases are on backorder.. I've got a big trip planned for next month and I'm going to have to do it without them...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts