Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys - I'm not trying to start an endless thread on general tire preferences, but specifically a survey of what you have personally put on to your N1K and your thoughts.

I'm at about 7500 miles and absolutely need to change the OEMs. Generally I'd say that the Bridgestone S20R rear has worn and behaved pretty well. I'm pretty happy about how much rear tread is left. Nearly all of those miles are commuting so I'd expect to be much more worn by now on the rear.

The front is another story. I remember reading about needing up to 42psi in the front to get rid of the feel of the front end falling into corners at low speed. That's what I felt too, so I've spent all of those miles at pressures much higher than I'm used to running.

And now at 7500 miles the front has developed a very pronounced and strange looking profile. There a noticeable flat spot down the center (not unforeseen), but then have two flat spots on each shoulder about an inch wide, then another sharp corner off to what remains of the rounded shoulder. So basically when I look over the front end at speed it looks like the tire has 5 distinct sections.

Handling is getting strange (not surprisingly). The bike wants to really pull sideways when transitioning across grooves in the pavement and generally is getting twitchy.

So before I make a call on new rubber I was wondering about what other brands/models people have tried and what your feedback is, especially on the front.

As another reference, I've had Michelin PR2's on my FJR continually over the last 25,000 miles. I get about 8000 miles on average on those - usually its the rear getting down to the wear bars and the front usually seems to have some life left.

Thanks for any suggestions and comments you might want to share.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am in a similar situation Rusperry,just reached 6k kms and front is down to replace mode,rear may reach 8-9ks.I hear Continentals are good but I am a Michelin Pilot road 4 disciple.I got 16k kms on a 'Brick' 05 KGT and 14k kms on a Concours1400,mostly at 100 plus kph. Flogging a bike is not my style ,nevertheless the tires have virtually no chicken rings. I would like to see others experiences re mileages on tires.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I too replaced my OEM tires with Michelin Pilot 4s, and am very happy with them. At present, I only have 5k miles on them so I can't tell you how long they will last. I can say that the OEM Bridgestones needed replacing at 7k miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got about 2700 miles on the OEM Bridgestone tires before the front tire started becoming unmanageable by catching grooves and exhibiting unpredictable tracking. My mileage is mostly sport touring with no commuting or freeway riding.

I replaced them with my go-to tire, the Pilot Road 4. I have ridden on the Michelin Pilot 2's, loved them, and the 3's (hated them).

So far, the 4's are lasting about 6000 miles. Now with my latest purchase, I got the GT version of the 4 and after 1000 miles, they feel like a regular 4.

I am curious to find out if they will last longer. But the PR4's on other bikes I've owned have also lasted only about 5 to 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
828 Posts
My stock tires were shot at 4k. The rear pretty much totally. The front maybe had 1k miles left. As I mentioned elsewhere, I went with the Angel GTs (AGTs). I had been a die hard Michelin fan (Pilots and PRs) and the Pirellis are easily the equal, if not better, than the PR4s I have on another bike.

The AGTs seem to be wearing great even considering I spend a lot of time loaded (factory bags filled) and a tailbag as well as a lot of high speed running. Avg cruise on the highway is 85mph with triple digit bursts. I am using the A-spec rear and quite happy with the combo. No tram-lining, better road compliance, very good wet weather performance (who would have thought so much rain in a drought in California), quieter, and VERY good grip. They might be the best non-supersport tire I've ever used.

Regardless of what brand you choose, go with the /55 profile rear tire. It made a very significant improvement in handling.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am amazed by the low milage people are getting from their tires. Either you guys ride like banshees or are not inflating them to spec. At 5k miles my Michelins are looking good for at least another 3k and hopefully 5k. I usually keep my traction control in 3 to prevent wheel spin and do my shifts at 4k - 6k RPM.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Geld - perhaps you are riding it like a moped or a scooter... :)

The rear tire can be killed pretty quickly though. Run the bike fully loaded with the factory bags, add in high cruise speeds and if you want to kill it even more quickly accelerate hard too. Of course we can't forget the impact road surfaces can have as well.

I didn't ride it WFO all the time put I did have a few runs in there a vMax and a fair amount of time in the low triple digit zone. I can't say I did a ton of wheelies as I normally don't want to attract too much attention and just want to fly low most of the time... as if a bright candy blue Ninja could ever be discreet. :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've never had ANY rear tire last more that 6000 miles on any bike I've owned. I am always envious of others who can get epic mileages out of their tires and wonder if I am being too aggressive, if I ride on particularly abrasive roads, or if I simply replace my tires significantly earlier than most.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The rear tire can be killed pretty quickly though. Run the bike fully loaded with the factory bags, add in high cruise speeds and if you want to kill it even more quickly accelerate hard too. Of course we can't forget the impact road surfaces can have as well.
You don't need a lot of weight to kill a tire easily.
I just ride sportive, have my tires a little bit under spec inflated, and only ride with a semi filled tailbag (+3kg) and half filled tank bag (+2kg)
mostly -0.2 bar for the rear.

And only manage to get 3400-3700 km (2112-2300 miles) out of a PR3 or Z8.
That is until the canvas shows through ... and even wear for 80% of the tire.

There is a lot of extra wear once you start riding above a certain tempo.
Your tire wear really goes twice as fast (most noticeable when leaving black lines behind).

I don't do highway, only twisties. And only spirited riding.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have a 2000km commute (minimum - sometime up to 2500km) each week. I can't afford to burn through a tire every 10 days of riding. If I was just on backroads, mountains, twisties, etc. then I could ride more aggressively. I have to balance fun against having to change out tires.

Sure if I just ran the bike at the track, on sticky tires, they might last a weekend or 3 but I have other bikes for that.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I changed my OEM tires at 5268 miles and both were showing cords at the end of a 120 mile run. I changed to Angel GTs with 55 profile in the back and can't believe the difference. I was planning on trying a set of Pilot Road 4's but I'm so impressed I plan on my next set also being Angle GTs.

I do however trust the opinion that most any premium rubber on this bike will not disappoint, and that they will be worlds better than the OEM Rubber.

My only regret is that I waited for the OEM's to were out instead of replacing them earlier...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Personally I believe hard accellaration would be one serious quick wear factor and sustained high speeds would be another,and breaking hard at stops.I am not guilty of any in the main, I seldom exceed 110/120 kph ( 70/75 mph) and seldom exceed 5000 revs.With the 15 to 16 front sprocket and 41 to 39 rear sprocket changes I get a true speed of 100kph at exactly 4000 revs.I remember some years ago that truck tires stored for some time gave higher mileages ,they seemed to harden. I am not sure in this day and age many motor cycle tires get stored for long.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The trade off with hard tires is reduced grip. That is why many current tires are dual compound. They are harder in the center for better mileage and softer on the sides for grip in the turns. Works pretty well for most folks.

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
Day, do you have a go-to tire I'm sure you've used up a set or three with your Ninja, already. As far as the Angel GTs, is that what you will by next, or again?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input guys - I've ordered some Angel GTs, including the taller 190/55 rear. It will take some time to give any kind of update - I'm sure when brand new they're gonna feel great compared to the worn out scabs I have on there now!

·
Registered
370 Posts
At 18,000 miles, I just installed my third set of Michelin PR4s. My tire mileage has been consistently 9,000-ish miles. I don't feel I ride sedately, either. When I bought my 2015 in November 2014, the dealer agreed to remove the marginal OEM tires and mount a set of PR4s (with the 55 aspect ratio) for a small additional price. That's all I've ever had on this N1K and always the 55 profile. Perfection for me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for a benchmark we can work from Omniron.My originals at 7k kms is down to the wear mark on the front tire ,the rear has probably another 2 or 3 k kms. Your 9 k miles is approx. 14 k kms ; on my personal observation that is very good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys, I've been running s20 on my third gen z1000 for a couple of years now. They are a great tyre. Usually about two rears to one front. I've just fitted the s20evo with 55 profile on the rear to see how it goes. Sped the steering up a bit but i suspect I've lost some top speed stability. I've recently got a ninja 1000sx and was not sure what to fit. Just ordered some t30evo as this is mainly my touring bike. I'll let you know what the verdict is once i have some kms on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got the Angel GTs mounted up this weekend. Odometer was showing 8429 miles on the original OEM Bridgestones - the rear was so flat that the tire would easily stand on its own, and the front looked more like a racing slick than a street tire!

I'm not going to blame the Bridgestones since that's more miles than I've put on any other tire, but as expected the new rubber makes me remember how nice the handling was when I got the bike compared to the last few weeks of riding. Transitions across pavement interfaces and uneven road was getting so twitchy that I was scaring myself daily.

Thanks for the feedback - I'll try and remember to come back and update my feedback after a couple of weeks of riding.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts