Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2013 bike that I bought as a leftover, still has the original tires. Not sure if I should still ride them. 3600 miles on it
Inspect for crack lines.
How does it feel when you squeeze/pinch it ? Does it still feel like rubber?

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
202 Posts
I have a 2013 bike that I bought as a leftover, still has the original tires. Not sure if I should still ride them. 3600 miles on it
9 year old tires...I'd replace them. Why's this even a debate at 9 years. The tires have been sitting on the bike for 9 years, not some climate controlled warehouse stacked with no load on them like in the best case scenario in this video. If it was 2-3 years, meh, I'll burn through them in 6mo or less. 9 years? Nine. Years? Dude. Just fork over the $250-$450 for a new set.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
People always want rules. If you are the person making the rule, you have to be ultra conservative or you get the, "You told me ever 7 years and it barely lasted 6 yrs and 11 months..."

If you say 5, they will be happy when it's good at six.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
I picked up a 9 year old NOS VFR800 once. The tires were round and black with lots of tread with no weather checking (cracks). But they were a little slippery and on closer inspection, the surface didn't feel like a new tire. Based on a fingernail test the rubber had hardened a bit. They looked so new that I still put a few hundred careful miles on them while I waited for new tires to arrive. I just rode like the roads were wet.

Reactions: jjscsix and arthury

·
Registered
820 Posts
I want to meet the guys who know the answer. In order to know the answer, you have to have ridden enough old tires to know when you have reached their limits. It’s like helmets. Did the guy who found out that after X number of years old helmet you will die if you crash.

In fairness, a halfway decent and lucky rider can slide on a set of tires without going down, but to take liberties with a quote from a famous actor “do you feel lucky today?”

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
You would also need to know the storage conditions. I had a customer who could store apples for years at a time . They used a refrigeration system and a nitrogen enriched environment to store them in.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I bought a bike once with old tires. I don't remember how many years. They were as hard as glass. I had to get home, so I said "what the hell". I deflated them to about 10 psi, and got them hot as hell. 10ish miles later I stopped and added more air, but intentionally not enough. Those first couple miles were a riot ..... zero traction. I pulled the tires the next day.

My 95 Bimota only has 3000 original miles. The guy crashed it and parked it. I'm getting the bodywork back from the painter soon. 1994 tires. I put a post in Marketplace for free burnout tires. A guy with a Honda 600RR bought them. We speculate he can probably do 10 minute burnout, but doubt there will be much smoke.

·
Registered
113 Posts
100+ years. Didn't you people see that Twilight Zone episode where the bank robbers stole millions in gold bars, put themselves in cryogenic chambers for 100+ years and then the chambers opened up. Then they got in their truck which started right up, tires still full of air, and drove off. Al least until one of them wrecked the truck.

But still, that proves you can go 100+ years on tires, fuel and all auto parts.😎

1 - 10 of 10 Posts