Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Tires 50 vs 55

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  East Bay Ninja 
#1 · (Edited)
Im Curious if changing to a 55 tire in the rear as opposed to the stock 50..Will there be a greater Lean traction surface? Im Scraping Pegs with the stock tires and the Chicken strips are no where to be found.
Id like to continue banging corners on her but im afraid im running out of tire.
Any Positive input is appreciated. Work commuter bike once a week when not in the cager.

See less See more
#4 ·
okay........ Taller and more responsive the 55 is, Ive researched and found. This will be my new choice when getting new rubbers. Thanks.

#5 ·
I've not touched down yet. And I lowered my pegs. Now you may say that I must be riding my N1K like an old guy on a Harley, but I would disagree. I admit there may be some Walter-Mitty-Effect in my perception of how I'm riding, but the others with whom I ride tell me they can't keep up in the corners.

I submit it's about body position. If you ride like an old guy on a Harley -- keep your body vertical and push the bike over to go around corners -- you'll scrape a lot and run out of turning capacity quickly. But if you lean in and get your body on the inside of the turn, even hang off some and drop a knee, the center of gravity drops and the bike doesn't have to be leaned over as far to go around the corner.

I'm not claiming to be an expert. I'm still learning myself. When I practice good body position on a chalenging road with good pavement, I am amazed at how well the N1K corners -- very neutral (especially with a 55 rear tire) and controllable. I have about 1/4" of the so-called "chicken strip" on my rear tire, but to me it's not about that. It's about proper body position for better control at speed in a corner and not scaring yourself when you come into a turn too hot ...because you know the bike it more capable than you are.

#6 ·
Great info, And as for my body position, I have the option of a knee drag or a peg scrape. I too am told its hard to keep up with me, and Im also told it looks like the big boys on Moto GP how off the bike I can go to corner. Total agreement on how well this bike corners. Im amazed still that you have yet to experience a touch down. I can actually scrape just making a deep 360 on a road.
Nevertheless, i will be going with a 55 on my next rotation. Thanks for the input. Any links to video footage? I love videos and feel there aren't enough with our bike. Link if you got some. Hey this will be my new Post.

#7 ·
I just ordered a set of Pilot Road 4s with the 190/55zr17 rear. The guys I ride with say the 55 gives more contact surface. They are a little more expensive, but Revzilla gave me a really good deal on the set. I have not been happy at all with the stock Bridgestones, so the change is no doubt going to be great in any case.

#8 ·
Time for new rear sets. Most aftermarket rear sets will be 1" higher and 1" back. That will solve your clearance problem. Also, an old racer trick is to cut your pegs in half. That will also cure your clearance issue. But yeah, be careful. Sounds like your at the edge of the tire. Time for a track day I'd think!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.