Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been running Bridgestone sport touring tires on my 2014, and am a bit disappointed with the mileage I'm getting:

Rear T30 EVO - 3,700 miles

Front T30 EVO - 4,500 miles

Rear T31 GT - 3,800 miles

I have run all these tires at 36psi front, 42psi rear.

Does this Ninja just eat tires, or are these Bridgestones known to not last? My previous sport tourer was an Aprilia Falco, and I used to easily get over 6,000 miles out of Bridgestone BT23 and Michelin Road 4 sport touring tires..

·
Registered
871 Posts
That is odd. I never ran T30s long enough, as I sold my Connie 14 that had them on after a couple thousand miles. I get 7-8000 out of S21 Bridgestones, and that is considered more of a sport tire.

·
Registered
82 Posts
>"Does this Ninja just eat tires, or" are you always On It? lol

I aim for 8 but will put on new tires at 7 if I have a long ride planned.

Pirelli Angel GT. Can't say enough good about them.

I don't have any experience with Bridgestones on a bike, so can't compare there.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here are the mileages I have gotten out of my tires. Pressures are normally 36 PSI Front and 42 PSI Rear.

My riding style I would describe as moderately spirited “Pace” riding (Yes, I’m a big fan of Nick Ienatsch’s “The Pace”), and I usually wear out both front and rear together.

2012 N1K

1. OEM Bridgestone BT-016’s ------- 3,200 Miles
2. Michelin PR2’s (180/55) ----------- 7,100 Miles
3. Pirelli Angel GT’s (180/55) -------- 5,600 Miles
4. Michelin PR2’s (180/55) ----------- 8,500 Miles
5. Michelin PR2’s (180/55) ----------- 6,100 Miles (Changed early for an upcoming trip)
6. Michelin PR2’s (180/55) ----------- 7,900 Miles
7. Michelin PR4’s (180/55) ----------- 7,300 Miles
8. Michelin PR2’s (190/50) ----------- 7,700 Miles

2017 N1K

1. OEM Bridgestone S20’s ------------ 4,300 Miles
2. Michelin PR2’s (190/50) ----------- 7,500 Miles
3. Michelin PR2’s (180/55) ----------- Currently at around 3,000 Miles (wearing nicely)

I've been pretty happy with the PR2's, but occasionally I do get curious enough to try something new. I really liked the feel of both the Angel GT's and the PR4's. I can't comment on the Angel's performance in the wet, but I can attest to the PR4's exceptional grip and confidence inspiring feel even in heavy rain. Having said that, I prefer the PR2's simply because they are more than adequate for my riding style, and they offer an incredible value for the price. They aren't the best at any one thing, but they still provide good solid performance in both the wet and dry. I've never felt I was giving anything up by sticking with the PR2's, nor have I ever "out rode" their capabilities.

If I had to ding the PR2's it would be that they aren't available in 190/55. That hasn't been an issue for me, as I've been happy with the performance improvements afforded by the 180/55. However, I would like to try a 190/55 just to see what (if any) difference there is.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, based on the responses so far, I'm considering Angel GTs and Michelin Road 4 or 5. And btw I'm running 190/55 in the back.

Michelin is very odd in that they still offer Pilot Road 2, 3, 4, and 5. Are the PR2s that you are using made recently, or are they old stock tires? I bought a Pilot Power 2CT for my Street Triple, that model has been around since 2006 I think, and it was made in February 2018.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
I wanted to see once last year just how many miles I could get from a set of AGTs so I diligently tried to be gentle on them and maintained air pressure like it was life altering important. Seemed foolish then, and more so today but you know it was one of those challenge myself type deals to see how far it could be stretched. Well lets just say I wasn't able to ace the challenge as there were just to many (DAMN HOLIGAN) tempting opportunities..... yet would still score myself a B+ which showed a lot of restraint for me. LOL

Made a little over 8500 miles on the rear and another 4000 miles after that on the front. pressures were near maxed out all the time and both were 100% shot at that mileage, and should have been changed somewhere around 1000 miles sooner then those figures but as I mentioned.... it was a challenge.
As someone else here may have already mentioned though just about any of the big brand multi compound high silica sport touring tires of today are light years ahead of we road on as younger men.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hmm, based on the responses so far, I'm considering Angel GTs and Michelin Road 4 or 5. And btw I'm running 190/55 in the back.

Michelin is very odd in that they still offer Pilot Road 2, 3, 4, and 5. Are the PR2s that you are using made recently, or are they old stock tires? I bought a Pilot Power 2CT for my Street Triple, that model has been around since 2006 I think, and it was made in February 2018.
MFG Dates for my current set are: F - 4417; R - 2016. The tires were ordered, and installed back in June.

These ages are relatively typical for the PR2's I order from Rocky Mtn ATV/Riders Domain (Formerly Jake Wilson). I've gotten them anywhere from less than a year old, to upwards of 2.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't understand why people only consider the Michelins, Pirellis and stones when considering sport touring tires when the Dunlop RS III's consistently beat them all in every independent test I've seen. And that's not only in tire life but wet and dry handling too. Mine have 3k miles and they look brand new. Plus, they handle far superior to the S20 sport tires that came on the bike. I've never experienced a good Bridgestone tire.

I don't know if they're superior to the new PR5 because I haven't seen any comparisons yet, but I know they handle as well as Q2's I've had. I don't think there's any other sport touring that can touch them.

Example: Dunlop Roadsmart III Performance-Touring Tire Review

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
Burt, thats a great comment, and its true, for me, That isnt a brand that really jumps out and makes me want to buy.

The tires that come on Japanese bikes are built to oem standards. They might say, Dunlop, Brigestone, or whatever on them, but they are built to a low quality, cheap standard. It would be a real surprise to have an aftermarket tire that was not better.

A good example is the bto16 tires that were on our 11-13 bikes. Those are trash. An aftermarket bto16 is a decent tire, although it lasts 1/2 as long as a Michelin of equal spec. That makes the 40.00 initial savings a non issue.

I might consider them for a concours 14, but on this bike, i won't be considering any tire that's projected to last 12,500 (rear) and 20,000 (front) That's what's shown in this test. https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/dunlop-roadsmart-iii-motorcycle-tire-review#page-3

I've upgraded my suspension and brakes. I'm not installing a tire that's hard. I want something more sport oriented.

The second part is why Dunlop and Brigestone can kiss my ***. The fact that they sell their name out on the garbage, oem tires bothers me.

I can't say I've loved every Michelin I've owned, but all have been a good value. I can't say the same for Dunlop or Brigestone. With mail order prices, im not paying over 350.00 for a full set of any brand, and I just don't like taking chances on companies who have burned me before.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My last set was PR4 and I was pretty happy with them until the front started cupping and the rear lost a lot if its performance and siping ability long before it reached the wear bars. These were my 1st non OEM tires on this bike so I had nothing good to compare to. I was going to get Road 5 next since those issues are reported to have been addressed but opted to give Roadsmart III a shot based mostly on price with rebates, comparable or better reviews to PR4, and a very unscientific theory some have that Roadsmart III are less squirmy on tar snakes.
After 1,000 miles and 1 track clinic I am very pleased. They seemed very stable, planted and sticky on the track but I have nothing to compare since it was my 1st track experience. I'd say they perform at least as good on the street as PR4 but have not been caught in the rain yet.
Time will tell how well they wear and I'll certainly know more after an upcoming 7 day trip through the Smokies and Appalachia.
I like these tires a lot more than the PR4's I had but that has a lot more to do with finally going with a 55 rear and pushing the forks up 6mm which totally transformed turn in.
As for the tar snakes: who knows? I have been on the same roads a couple times that have been nerve racking in the past without even a mild scare but I may just be getting better at navigating them or it could be just luck.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks @tomb393 for your thoughts on the PR4's and the Roadsmart III's.

I just wore out a set of Michelin Road 5's and here are my thoughts on how they compare to the Pirrelli Angle GT's. I've put over 32,000 Miles on 5 sets of Angle GT's on my 2015 Ninja 1000. When the Michelin Road 5's were released with all the glowing reviews (and the promise of higher millage) I thought it might be time to try a set.

1) Price per Set @ Revzilla:

Angle GT's = $328
Road 5's = $370 ---- The Michelin's are 13% More Expensive. Will they make up for it in higher millage or performance?

2) Wear:

Angle GT's = Always wore evenly front to back, and sides to flats. No Cupping, and very little handling change throughout their life.

Road 5's = The Front wore out 1000 Miles before the rear, and wore out on the sides first. The Rear squared-off and wore out on the flat first! I ride almost exclusively curvy roads with no highway miles. The Road 5's showed cupping both front and rear and got quite squirrely with the sides on the fronts being bald and the rear being squared off.

3) Tread Life:

Angle GT's = 6200 Miles Average thru 5 sets.
Road 5's = 5073 Miles on Front / 5950 Rear. ---- You decide, but most people will change them as a set at 5073 miles for a 22% Wear advantage for the Angle GT's

4) Cost Per Mile:

Angle GT's = .0529 Cents Per Mile
Road 5's = .0729 Cents Per Mile ---- a Huge 38% Premium for the Michelin Road 5's!!!

5) Performance and Grip:

Angle GT's = Confidant and Predictable dry grip, very few pucker moments. Never noticed a tar snake in 31,000 miles!

Road 5's = Confidant and Predictable dry grip, very few pucker moments except for their behavior with TAR SNAKES! The Road 5's seem to completely loose traction over every tar snake, then hook back up once on regular pavement. Many, many pucker moments with the 'snakes'. I almost lost it in a round-a-bout and had a serious muscle pull because of 'snakes'. I had to be hyper vigilant to avoid them, to the point of miss reading other road hazards.

So...

Early on I was hoping the outstanding wear that was reported might make up for the short comings with the tar snakes, but the numbers don't lie! In my book, they are not even close to the Angle GT's and I'm glad to have them back on my bike.

Next I do think I'll try a set of Roadsmart III's and see how they do!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Lots of road trips this year,,.

Ive got the Pilot Power 3's on with 6000Mi,,,,,,I should get 8000 on the back and the front looks like new,,.
My Previous BS S21,s got to 6000Mi before a puncture however they were flatt wearing pretty bad,,.

Got a say I think the Michelin's are wearing much better,,. I may try to go with two rears to one front!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Lots of road trips this year,,.

Ive got the Pilot Power 3's on with 6000Mi,,,,,,I should get 8000 on the back and the front looks like new,,.
My Previous BS S21,s got to 6000Mi before a puncture however they were flatt wearing pretty bad,,.

Got a say I think the Michelin's are wearing much better,,. I may try to go with two rears to one front!!
Lag, what is your opinion on the Michelin Pilot Power 3 tyres? I have them on my bike and I absolutely love the grip (dry/wet), the quick warmup in the morning and the linear tip-in. Fab tyre for me.

I’ve used the Pirelli Angels, Dunlop Roadsmarts and the Metzeler M7RR and to me the PP3 trumps (ha!) these. The M7RR is a great tyre but I don’t like it’s tip-in on tight turns.

I enjoy trying different brands and am considering the Metzeler Roadtec 01 as a replacement for the PP3... just to see if the grass is greener...

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
Bikram, thats what's on my bike, currently.

I have exactly 2000 miles on them. The front looks brand new. The rear is starting to square of, and I blame Ivan for that. He kept sending updated flashes, and I HAD to test them.....

I have so damn much flat ground, where I live. I'm 30 miles from any turns, unless the freeway counts. It flat spots damn near everything.

For the next set, im going with the Squidlious formula. He is a friend, from Rider Forum who never made it to this one. His plan was a sport tires up front....like our pp3. However, his back tire was a sport touring tire...like a pr2, or pr3. He said this worked really well and avoided that 2 rear to 1 front thing. He said that his were more of a 1-1 when he did this.

As far as brand, next time, m just not sure. I thought about something in the Pirelli line...,,,?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
"Lag, what is your opinion on the Michelin Pilot Power 3 tyres?"
I like the PP3's and can only compare them with the S21's and the original tires,. Both sets were rear 55's,,.

The PP3's seem to turn in more from the front during the initial part of the turn but perhaps a bit more work to increase lean angle,,. I thought the S21's were better for higher speed turns and required less input to increase lean beyond a certain point then the PP3's,,. For the same reason the S21's seemed less planted coming out of turns then these tires,,. I do believe the front PP3 has a sharper angle and rear has a less sharp angle when comparing the profile and this is evident from the side wall ware lines from the start,,.

I like the ware on the PP3's better, less squaring off on the rear, and the front looks like it will go 2 to 1 with the rear,,. The S21's started squaring off at 4 or 5 k and the front had cupping, also the rear punctured very easy once the tread became low,,.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts