Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, if this isn’t the right category to post this let me know and I’ll repost.

I have a cracked area of fairing on my ninja 500 where the right signal light fits into the fairing. Due to this damage the signal light won’t stay in place for more than a few days. The damage was caused by my bike tipping over in a wind storm.

I will be selling this bike because I have a new ninja 1000 coming very soon. I’d like to fix this but not sure on the best way to do it.

Should I use fiberglass or epoxy of some sort. Make a little mold with tape to rebuild the lip that the signal light fits into then just shape it to match the original then a little silver touch up paint. It will need to be strong and hold well to the existing plastic so it doesn’t just break off when I fit the groove in the signal light stem back into the opening.

Any and all tips and advice is greatly appreciated thanks everyone!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So know one here has ever done a repair on damaged fairing??? Should I put this in another discussion??

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX SE
67 Posts
Bad Luck that fallover. Plastic welding is what you are looking for as a repair option other than a second hand part.
I've had two experiences that need it it. Twice forgetting the disc lock and reversing back on a ZX9R and cracking the front mudguard, and the other riding over the top of a Wallaby at 100 KPH which cracked the belly pan of my ZZR250.
The process uses a small but very hot air gun which melts plastic into the crack. But it also destroy's the paint by burning it in the area of the weld.
I found few Shops locally did it, one a motorcycle Racer Shop that did repairs to the Club bikes after the weekend get off's and the other was a car based crowd that did bumper bar repairs and repaints.
Apparently cracked clear plastic headlights, indicator/Brake lens can be repaired too.

Rob.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bad Luck that fallover. Plastic welding is what you are looking for as a repair option other than a second hand part.
I've had two experiences that need it it. Twice forgetting the disc lock and reversing back on a ZX9R and cracking the front mudguard, and the other riding over the top of a Wallaby at 100 KPH which cracked the belly pan of my ZZR250.
The process uses a small but very hot air gun which melts plastic into the crack. But it also destroy's the paint by burning it in the area of the weld.
I found few Shops locally did it, one a motorcycle Racer Shop that did repairs to the Club bikes after the weekend get off's and the other was a car based crowd that did bumper bar repairs and repaints.
Apparently cracked clear plastic headlights, indicator/Brake lens can be repaired too.

Rob.
Thanks for the reply. I’ll check out a couple auto body shops locally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts