1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki Ninja 1000sx
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood

Sports equipment Automotive tire Gadget Vehicle Gas

Nearly got 10,000kms out of OEM S22's, looking at going to Road 6's as I ride 120kms on the highway monday - friday. I think I know the answer im going to get to my next question, but will I get another 400kms out of this tyre to get to my tyre shop or am I trailering it there??

·
Registered
619 Posts
If that wear was all way around the tire I would trailer it. If not I would ride it. Many of my S21 and S22 looked like that when I changed them.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
679 Posts
To quote Dirty Harry . . . " do you feel lucky ? " Enjoy the 400 km drive, with your bike & trailer.

If you find a Harley Dealership along the way, stop and take a photo of you bike & trailer. The Harley crowd just love those kind of photos.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
You did this wrong. What I did was took a long trip (~3k miles) that turned out to be super hot :( and super fast :) and after a scorching 800 mile last day got home and just crashed. The next day I washed the bike and discovered this. I my case, I pulled the tire and drove it to the shop about 10 miles away. I can't imagine how long that last day would have been had I seen this before I left Heber City. Or I'd have found a shop and just did it there.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
679 Posts
<< snip >> will I get another 400kms out of this tyre to get to my tyre shop or am I trailering it there??
Just a thought, but rather than trailering the whole bike, have you considered just removing the rear wheel and taking it to your workshop ?? Its not a big task if you have a rear paddock stand.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
569 Posts
You did this wrong. What I did was took a long trip (~3k miles) that turned out to be super hot :( and super fast :) and after a scorching 800 mile last day got home and just crashed. The next day I washed the bike and discovered this. I my case, I pulled the tire and drove it to the shop about 10 miles away. I can't imagine how long that last day would have been had I seen this before I left Heber City. Or I'd have found a shop and just did it there.
View attachment 34087
Whoa ... this is scary.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a thought, but rather than trailering the whole bike, have you considered just removing the rear wheel and taking it to your workshop ?? Its not a big task if you have a rear paddock stand.
Yeah I had thought about that but going to replace front tyre as well, it doesn't look as bad as the rear.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
223 Posts
Yeah I had thought about that but going to replace front tyre as well, it doesn't look as bad as the rear.
Mate, if that's your rear at 10,000k then your front is definitely f.....ked as well.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
569 Posts
How about ordering the tires online and change it yourself at home?

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
223 Posts
Geeze, that doesn't look too bad at all.
A bit hard to properly tell from the photo, but it looks like there's no feathering on the sides and the wear indicators are still below tread depth.
My front was pretty well done by 8,000klm - I was running 36/42psi front/rear.
If you run your hand from side to side can you feel any sort of flat-spotting - in other words how does the roundness/profile feel??
As a matter of interest, what pressures have you been using?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Geeze, that doesn't look too bad at all.
A bit hard to properly tell from the photo, but it looks like there's no feathering on the sides and the wear indicators are still below tread depth.
My front was pretty well done by 8,000klm - I was running 36/42psi front/rear.
If you run your hand from side to side can you feel any sort of flat-spotting - in other words how does the roundness/profile feel??
As a matter of interest, what pressures have you been using?
It has squared off a bit just between the ends of the center grooves but doesnt seem too bad. Just running recommended pressures like you 36/42.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts