Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting this thread to detail what mods have been done to the '14 N1K both for tracking purposes and discussion.

Mods thus far:

1. Puig dark smoke screen
2. Folding levers
3. Tankster grip pads
4. Pilot Road 4's front/ rear (190/55 out back)
5. Urban Brawler Black slip-ons, no db killers
6. Corbin pilot seat (recommend using grommets to mount as to eliminate vibration)
7. Power Commander V
8. Removed air box restricter plate from under the air filter

Coming Soon:

1. Akrapovic 4-1 full exhaust kit
2. K&N Air Filter
3. Evotech tidy tail

Please feel free to ask any questions on the above, would be glad to help/advise/discuss... :cool:

Chrome

-

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Air box restriction Plate? Really? I had no Idea. Any Positive change noticed?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Air box restriction Plate? Really? I had no Idea. Any Positive change noticed?
Hey Max, to be honest, I don't think I will see a major change until I swap out the stock air filter for the K&N. I did run the Z1000 '14 PCV Map today for a 100+ mile ride and she did pull harder. The bike felt more responsive in any gear and I did feel a bit more front wheel lift when rapping out 1st through 3rd with KTRC off :) If I can I will swap out the air filter and take her out again before I do the exhaust kit. I did also notice that she felt real smooth at 4500 RMP and 70 MPH. I forgot to take my Contour camera out with me today to capture any of this :(

·
Registered
483 Posts
My mod list would be to make more power so I could further reduce my gearing and still be just as quick :) Crazy idea huh :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mod list would be to make more power so I could further reduce my gearing and still be just as quick :) Crazy idea huh :)
Not crazy at all :) I too have been reading up on some sprocket changes :D

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Here are mine so far:

Puig dark smoke racing wind screen
OEM engine protectors
OEM front axle sliders
OEM heated grips
OEM gel seat
Progrip tank protector
Go Cruise throttle lock
Race Tech full suspension upgrade
Sylvania LED headlights and marker lights
Pilot Road 4s 190/55 rear
Kriega Luggage System
Also... powerlet heated jacket liner and warm n safe heated gloves

Reactions: Chromeaha

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here are mine so far:

Puig dark smoke racing wind screen
OEM engine protectors
OEM front axle sliders
OEM heated grips
OEM gel seat
Progrip tank protector
Go Cruise throttle lock
Race Tech full suspension upgrade
Sylvania LED headlights and marker lights
Pilot Road 4s 190/55 rear
Kriega Luggage System
Also... powerlet heated jacket liner and warm n safe heated gloves
Tell me more about your LED headlight upgrade please. Very interested in that.
thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would also like to hear about the LED's. I've been considering the BK motor projector head lights for our bikes. LED tech is getting closer, so i would wait if it knew that something was working. with the Z1000 running factory LED's, i know it won't be long.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Greetings gentlemen.... the thread Adding Lights to See and Be Seen has the info for lighting upgrades. I should be clear though... my side marker lights are LED but my headlights... the H7s.... are Sylvania's top of the line regular headlight bulbs... screwed that up in my list of mods above. Sorry 'bout that! I bought both at the local NAPA Auto Parts and installed them myself. Reasonably easy to install. They produce a whiter light but not really a brighter light... I hope they help motorists separate me from the sea of halogens. The way to get a brighter light is to go HID which is a whole 'nother ballgame because you will need to install a ballast.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Greetings gentlemen.... the thread Adding Lights to See and Be Seen has the info for lighting upgrades. I should be clear though... my side marker lights are LED but my headlights... the H7s.... are Sylvania's top of the line regular headlight bulbs... screwed that up in my list of mods above. Sorry 'bout that! I bought both at the local NAPA Auto Parts and installed them myself. Reasonably easy to install. They produce a whiter light but not really a brighter light... I hope they help motorists separate me from the sea of halogens. The way to get a brighter light is to go HID which is a whole 'nother ballgame because you will need to install a ballast.
cool cool. Yes i have already ordered my LED park lamp bulbs, should be here in a few days.
Now the easiest way to install these from what i can see is to remove the instrument surround panel, this will give me better access to the park lamp bulb covers. Correct?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Alright Gents, the tear down had begun! Right and left fairings are off along with the exhaust :) Removing the fairing was pretty easy, I would say on a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being most difficult, it was a 2.5. The exhaust came off even easier than I expected. All in all it was one hour to remove all of this.

Side note: I remember reading somewhere that on a new bike, an owner should check the manifold flange bolts for tightening at the time of the 1st oil change. I would like to confirm this as 4 of the 8 flange bolts were loose, all of them being loose on the left side of each flange (removed with my fingers loose, like SUPER loose!).

The new exhaust will be installed tomorrow! Super excited to try it out once the weather breaks... Looking like rain here the next few days yet, perhaps I'll get out and break in those PR4's on some wet roads :)

Enjoy the pics...

Also, pondering offloading the Urban Brawlers, let me know if you might be interested (paypal perhaps?). They are super clean, less than 1K miles on them, can upload pics if interested...

-

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
what is that plastic box with the hoses going to it, in the third pic?
is this a California model?
I am not certain exactly what you are referencing, perhaps the radiator line that runs along the top of the engine in pic #3. I do not believe this to be the Cali model...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Along with the Akro and K&N install, I went ahead and removed the secondary butterflies and removed the slip on dbkiller as well. I loaded the PCV map for 'Arrow Full Exhaust w/dbkiller removed' and stock air filter - 17-055-003. Being that the weather here sucks at the moment, I only went for a quick ride, and whole-e she-ot! Even on the wet roads she was pulling super hard in 1st and 2nd. Once the weather clears I'll be able to get out and abuse her a lil bit :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts