Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big shout out to Friendly Powersports in Slidell, Louisiana. Took the bike in to get the clutch switch replaced under warranty. I thought the switch malfunctioned because I could only start the bike in neutral and the cruise control was not working. Since the bike was about at the mileage for a valve check and throttle body synch I asked them to do this as well.

This is how it could have gone: "Well sir, sorry but the switch is not covered under warranty because it looks like a rodent or some critter chewed through the wires in the switch (yes this actually did happen). We'll have to charge you for that. Yes we'll do the valve check and the throttle synch because the manual says it's ready. Total labor is about 8 hours". So you can see where this cost was going.

But this is how it actually went: "Well sir looks like a rodent chewed through the wires in the switch but we explained this to Kawasaki and we pushed to have this covered under warranty which they agreed to. As far as your valve check and throttle synch, in my experience you don't need it at this mileage but I'll run a quick diagnostic and let you know. If it checks out ok (which it did) then this will save you a ton of money by not doing this now".

Well, needless to say I found my service shop and also the dealer where I'll buy all of my future bikes. Besides being a great and honest diagnostician, the tech must also have a savvy business sense because when trust is established you gain a customer for life.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hopefully the owner will continue to own, the service manager will continue to manage, the service tech will continue to tech! Time has a way of changing things. I had a Yamaha dealer nearby. They could do anything on my bikes except warranty repair. None of my bikes were under warranty so it didn't matter. They did good work, recognized me as a valued customer and treated me well. Then the service manager took a job at 6 times the pay (can't blame him for that!), then his replacement service manager (a good guy as well) shortly retired. The hot shot mechanic that always worked on my bikes landed a job with a race tune company 200 miles away, and then the owner sold out to a multi-dealer owner. They had no experienced race techs, they doubled the prices (doubled!!), and it's not even worth stopping by to talk!

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I have stopped by there a few times, great people working in there. Just to far for me to leave it there for service....I have a small shop out here that is the same way. Great service and attitude. glad you found a place near you that you can count on.

Just don't count on the places in Gonzales to be that way they all suck and have a bad mojo about them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts