Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo....
I was at the end of a 120 mile ride back to my hometown on the interstate and hurrying to beat the storm behind me. Well, I went to pass a few cars and just kept going faster and faster. That's when the blue and whites flash in my rear view mirrors. I pull over and officer asks me calmly if he knew why I got pulled over. I said no I'm not sure.
He clocked me doing 156 mph!!!!! In a 75!
He said "This is gonna be an expensive ticket Sir!"
So now I have a $1,068 ticket for 81 miles over the speed limit!!

I'm thinking of diversion if possible so it won't go against my insurance. Any suggestions besides the obvious: Slow Down! Is it worth fighting? Should I go to court and hope he doesn't show up?

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I dont think fighting it is going to work the judge will probably throw you under the jail at 156 mph, most places have a driving school you can go to and attend a course and the ticket want go against your record i would check on it, your insurance company probably want be happy about it either. I also hope your interstate isnt crowded as ours is. I cant believe they didnt impound your bike and take you to jail, **** i cant believe he even caught up with you.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've had a couple of good experiences with Ticket-Clinic type law firms. I got off both times with no involvement or appearances on my part. Both my situations were far different than yours though.

I think they go over the official info and paper them over with loopholes. With the money involved in your case and like Mark59 brought up I don't know the severity of this in TN. If it starts looking bad I would at least talk to an attorney.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
ALWAYS FIGHT.

Even if you do not hire someone, go to the prosecutor and talk to him. Tell him how sorry you are, and ask for another chance. Usually they will. Agree to a high dollar/low points fine, and move along.

As you talk to him, remind him its "just a 1000" Its not a 1400 Harley, or such.

This accomplishes two things. Many of those guys own Harleys, so you have complimented his ride. Second, if he knows its BS, he might own a japanese sport bike. If he has, hes done it himself.

Good job. You will be able to talk abotu this for your entire life. Its not particularly dangerous, its illegal, and there is a difference.

·
Registered
23 Posts
156 in a 75 ouch

If I received a ticket like that I would be more afraid of what my wife would do to me. Probably take my toys and ground me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The speedometer works the same on all bikes if you use your head when u need to go fast u can avoid this stuff.

also passing cars in such a low-speed area like that your looking to get yourself killed

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
In TN it is considered a criminal offense that can stay on your record, they classify 30 mph over the speed limit as wreckless driving, i know a guy they caught running 153 mph in his ZL-1 camaro and he is trying to sell it before his court appearance, and he wasnt on a interstate, plus he has $ 65,000 tied up in the car. Plus they had the whole sherriff department after him

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Yeah, flashing lights just don't come out of no where at that speed which means you were being pursued(which means evading), and he'd need to be close enough for the radar to be conclusive... eh, I dunno about this one.

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
I had my dream race today. A beautiful, black Ferrari 458 convertible. Looked like a Dr, and his son. It's on a very strange, and new road here in the valley. An expressway.

I started next to him, from a stop light. By 130, I had him by a long way. We stopped at the light, and I flipped my helmet up. I said, "Wow, that's pretty fast."

He asked, "Is your bike a 1000?" He had a not pleased look.

I said, " no, the 1000 was too expensive. This is the 650."

If looks could kill.

Keep it under 130, or just keep going.

Ferrari story is 100% true.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Batman,

AFAIK, in just about every state, driving over 100mph gets you a new set of bracelets. However the officer can, at his discretion, lower the listed speed on the citation, or just give you a warning.

I know the CHP usually lowers the listed speed for my tickets (by about 10 mph), I suspect for court fights. But 156mph, I cannot see them letting this go at all. I would be riding in the back of their cruiser, my bike would be impounded, and my license suspended.

What state were you in when this happened?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha call BS all you guys want, but I'm pretty sure I will never forget what happened yesterday.

He said he clocked me at 156 mph, this was a Kansas State Trooper on the Interstate.

I'm chalking it up to me getting very lucky and him showing me some sympathy. I explained that I had just got this bike and that I wasn't used to its power. Plus there was a big storm behind us and I was trying to get to my destination before it nailed me (this was true). I was pulled over literally less than a mile from my exit.

You can say it was dangerous and it was, but there were three cars in the slow lane and I passed in the wide open fast lane towards the left side of the lane incase anyone suddenly turned into my lane (it's a habit). Yes I knew I was doing well over 100, just didn't think it was over 150, felt more like 120 or 130.

I think I will talk to a lawyer and see what I can do. The listed charge on the ticket is "Speeding in excess of the maximum posted speed limit." AKA speeding.

Believe me, when he pulled me over I was sure I was gonna go to jail and get the bike impounded. Maybe he was a biker too. He said he knows is a race bike and made to do that, but he just didn't want me to have a tire blow out at that speed and me kill my self and/or others. There are decent cops out there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
156mph? is the bike stock? And let you go with a ticket?

This story is very hard for me to believe. Post a pic of the ticket.
No, my bike has full Akra exhaust, Ivan's flash, Airbox mod, Power Commander, and K&N. Even without those, the N1K tops out around 160 stock. After the mods, I have topped it out at 171 (downhill with wind at my back). There is definitely more sport than touring in this bike.

Reactions: bras515

·
Registered
291 Posts
No, my bike has full Akra exhaust, Ivan's flash, Airbox mod, Power Commander, and K&N. Even without those, the N1K tops out around 160 stock. After the mods, I have topped it out at 171 (downhill with wind at my back). There is definitely more sport than touring in this bike.
No without the flash the stock bike tops out at I believe 152, and takes forever to get there.

The difference here is you are going by speedometer speed, which in not what a radar would pick up on. A police radar picks up on true speed, not displayed speed.

I think you are completely full of it myself. I doubt you have ever been a real 156 mph on this particular Ninja 1000.

Again post a pic of the ticket, that will clear it all up. But you won't, because you cannot. You never got a ticket.

I have been doing this a really long time.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It was this one:

Not sure if interior was the tan color, it might have been red.

http://www.europecarnews.com/wp-content/gallery/ferrari-458-spider/ferrari_458_spider-1.jpg

Anyway, is it as fast as a ninja 1000, up to 130? The answer is...... NO!
I freaking LOVE those cars. They drive very well for sure. No where near a 10 second car though :)

And listen if you wanna chase down to man touchers in a Ferrari then thats your business RC...LMFAO

I got a chance to talk to PUAL the other night, and that freaking guy is coolas a fan. Really cool guy for sure. I need to come up that way so we can all have a beer.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Your first post said you got a ticket for 156 in a 75, you said you got a $1,068 ticket for 81 mph over the speed limit.

Now you are saying you were given a "speeding in excess" ticket.

You sir, are not a truth teller. You are trying to be something you are not. It never works well.

I cannot stand people who lie. It just clouds real life for everyone else. Plus it is a huge time waster.

I am guessing the truth is something more close to, you saw 156 mph on your speedo, you right after that got pulled over, the cop was very cool and instead of giving you a ticket that would wreck you let you go with a warning, and then you came here and tried to make the story better than it was, when the truth is there is a way to tell the actual story in a way that is amazing and compelling. How far off am I?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts