Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
2013 Triumph Tiger 800 XC. It was hot.....REALLY hot to ride and I sold it for that very reason!

Recently sold my 1990 NSR250R (Smoker) sadly. Dreamed of having one for many years....finally got one a year ago and although fun to ride, at 6' tall it I felt like a clown riding a circus bike! A good friend wanted it, I let him have it, lol.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The two Goldwings I owned should be the ones I said good riddance to, and I guess they were. But I knew what I was getting into and I only had them for two up riding, and I had other bikes.

The bike I bought for myself when I got back into riding after a 16 year hiatus was an ST1300. That was a mistake. In fairness, I knew about the FJR and even found a used one to test ride. But that was when FJR was only shipping them to dealers with customer orders (supposedly) and only making them in batches. I would not have been able to buy a new one for six months.

An earlier response mentioned the RD350. I bought one new. I had no problems other than the fact I was constantly replacing fouled plugs. It was easy to fix by putting hotter plugs in it, but the bike ran two miles an hour faster with the colder plugs. Always chasing more hp.

·
Registered
871 Posts
It is a love hate thing with me - the RD350. Loved it every time I rode it, hated it every time I had to take it in to the mech, which was as often as I rode it....
Fortunately, I'm my own mechanic. My first street bike was an H2. I loved that bike and wish I hadn't sold it. Having said that, I had to split the cases three times to fix a broken first gear. The fourth time I just took off in second. I wasn't splitting those cases again.

Fouled plugs
Cold blooded
I never could get the carbs right
It was like having a propane stove under my ***
I burned my legs lots of times on the chambers

I love me a 2-smoker!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Had a 01 (I think) Katana 750, tea pot, can of tuna...all the sayings. Heavy, not very good handling at all, with the Alberta winds we get, the bike sometimes felt like you had a sail up, and would want to be blown off the highway. Almost every othe bike on the road was quicker, wasn't difficult choice to sell....However, with a supertrapp exhaust on it, that 750 made the sweetest Suzuki scream that was fully intoxicating! The sound said "Hyabusa" the momentum said "Vespa"

·
Registered
696 Posts
This has been discussed elsewhere but I'd have to vote for my short time with the BSA 441 Victor. It's the only bike that ever HURT me before ever rolling out of the driveway. The oh so awesome torque riding that bike (compared to the little 2 stroke singles I had been riding) did NOT compensate for the number of times it tried to break my leg during the starting process.

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
Kenors, I know the Victim was so far in the lead, it's not a fair contest, but what bike ranked above it....the second to the worst?

The 80's had a lot of bad, parts bin bikes. My 86 fz600 was pretty bad. It had this amazing chassis. For its time, it was decent. I believe it was steel made to look like aluminum. Sadly, it needed an engine, and Yamaha found one. It was an old tech, air cooled piece of ****. I'll bet it didnt make 45 hp. Especially at my altitude. Yamaha basically gave these away, and I found out why. I know it wasnt as fast as an old 82 Kawasaki gpz550. Sad because the technology advances from 82-86 were way more than we saw from 2005-2020. Just not on that bike.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not Liked

For me it was a 1975 Ducati 750 GT. The bike was never set up or fixed as far as the twin Del Orto carbs. The guy who sold me the bike was a good mechanic and racer. He could not get them to run right. The 1973 Ducati 750 Sport I had right before however was a ANIMAL. Even back then it would run 12 second quarters and top out at 130 on the speedo.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Kenors, I know the Victim was so far in the lead, it's not a fair contest, but what bike ranked above it....the second to the worst?
Well, in the late 70's I got back into biking after a 3 year hiatus from biking to finish school, get married, get a job, buy a house. It involved moving and when I went to move my old SL-350 my bro-in-law was storing in a barn I found the rats had eaten every scrap of rubber/plastic/foam on the bike and I just left it for scrap.

Other than the Victor, every bike kind of did what I expected it to do. I've never had a lemon. From '83 on I had a string of V4 Hondas, which, contrary to folks on this thread were great all around bikes. It hurts my heart to hear people talk "POS VFRs" when it was my favorite ride (and a lot of folks) for 15 years. I know, they're talking about >2002 models which, frankly, killed the line IMHO. But my '87, '90, '98, '99 & '99 were great bikes. If, in 2002 Honda had listened to me (and a lot of VFR folks) and gone the route of a non-VTEC VFR1000 w/ ABS, adjustable (or updated) suspension, optional luggage all weighing in at 502# (like my '98s all did), I'd have never heard of this forum. Ah, the what could have been's.
So the second worst bike I never owned (but rode a few times) was the 2002+ VFR800. After all my happy years and miles on VFRs I must say I almost cried the first time I flogged a 2002. It was not better in ANY way from previous models and the disconcerting power step when the 4 valves opened up was right in the MIDDLE of the power band. Same braking, suspension, inferior engine (IMHO) and more weight. So...I kept finding (nearly) new '98/'99s until 2012. Now here I am...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Without doubt a dirt bike I had in the 60s. A Hodaka Combat Wombat. No one could get that thing to run right. LOL like to have it back and give it a try now tho.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I might get some grief for this... but the only street motorcycle I've owned so far and was disappointed in has been the only non-Kawasaki I've ever owned: a Yamaha FZ-07. The motor was a gem: torquey and sounded beautiful. The suspension was just not up par with the rest of the bike. I felt it was the weakest link and I never felt confident on it. The other point of contention for me was the lack of wind protection on such an upright machine. I added a MRA windscreen and that still couldn't help resolve the vast amounts of wind noise and buffeting. Yeah I know naked bike, but my past experience on a few Harleys told me it shouldn't have been THAT bad. The FZ-07 was unbearable at 70+ even with my Shoei helmet. I did not enjoy any time on that bike over 60mph. I don't miss it. It just wasn't the right type of bike for my style of riding. Photo is the last day I owned it, before trading it in for a Ninja 650.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Indeed, I noted it in a few reviews prior to the purchase but thought to myself I'm just an average rider, and I wouldn't notice the weak suspension. The FZ-09 would likely have been the better choice!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I had owned both, true story about the 07, great overachiever engine, but suspension never gave confidence, I agree with that. So I thought the fz09 would be the better choice, gave it the ackra exhaust treatment, PC5 and ecu flash. Now if your thinking "power freak", well, maybe but the reason was because the bike had such terrible fueling. At about 5k rpm if you did on/off throttle the bike would leap forward so violently that it would take the bars out of your hand if you were not on the ball. Poor front suspension that one magazine described as"front always fight the rear". Killer engine though... really makes me appreciate the N1k. Yamaha ironed out issues in later years, but that thing should have illegal, dangerous and makes you wonder how a manufacture can release something with that much of a problem

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had owned both, true story about the 07, great overachiever engine, but suspension never gave confidence, I agree with that. Poor front suspension that one magazine described as"front always fight the rear". Killer engine though... really makes me appreciate the N1k. Yamaha ironed out issues in later years, but that thing should have illegal, dangerous and makes you wonder how a manufacture can release something with that much of a problem
Glad to know I'm not alone on this. I always felt like that bike was fighting me, never could corner smoothly and closely like I wanted. There were some corners that the bike felt totally loose and disconnected. I tried several adjustments to preload with no real change. Don't miss it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The fz07 sells for about 6k? Best engine in the class, by a mile. You cant help but wonder if a 6399.00 price might let it have a better shock and fork?
While the FZ-07 had a better engine than the Ninja 650, I felt the Ninja's suspension was vastly superior. Then you look at the price spread between the two and have a better understanding of where the manufacturers spent their money.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like all the bikes I've owned. For me it's not about what bike I don't miss it's what mod I don't miss. My first bike was a cruiser and I made the mistake of putting a Vance & Hines Pro Pipe on it. It looked and sounded good; the problem is I soon grew tired (and even irritated) by how much louder my bike was. I couldn't put the OEM pipes back on because I had already sold them (and quite a few people on eBay bid on them). When I eventually put the bike up for sale on eBay, I got a number of messages from people asking me if I still had the OEM pipes and if I was willing to sell them. No joke. Where I'm going with this is I clearly wasn't the only one that felt the way I did.

·
Registered
275 Posts
For a short time I owned a CX500, not a horrible bike by any means, just happens to be my least favorite.

And yet it is now one of the most sought after bikes to transform to a Cafe Racer. Which I did. And so did thousands of others. Take off all the crap, seat, gauges, lower the front end, rear monoshock if you have the dough, exhaust, carb rejet and you really got something.

The CX500 is very simple and runs forever. Was very popular as a messenger bike in London. My main problem is it's geared so low that the Tach is screaming on the freeway. And since it's a shaft there's really no way to regear it. I think the CX650 is preferable.

As far as bikes I've owned, there was an '88 Honda CBR1000 Hurricane. Didn't handle well, endless CCT issues even after a Honda funded replacement. Looked kinda cool at the time, didn't keep it very long. And then of course my first bike, 1978 Suzuki GS550E. You gotta love your first bike, because you don't know any better! Rode the crap out of it, and then the well documented voltage regulator failure stranded me. And then it got stolen, recovered and sold. Bye-Bye!

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 2014 FZ-09. It was a basic platform bike, powerful for two up riding but little room for passenger, fast but unable to ride over 70mph because of lack of wind protection, quick but terrible suspension, small but uncomfortable in city riding due to crappy fuel mapping and lack of abs or traction (again mine was 2014 ... and yes I had even remapped the ECU) ... it was cheap but there was a reason it was cheap so you would spend on improving it ... don’t miss it at all.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts