Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the planet is on hold, and there has been "favourite bike threads" maybe would be entertaining to know what your least favourite bike was? Or maybe even the "good riddance" bike was anyone has owned?
I initially thought it was my Katana, bike after some thought was definitely Honda firestorm 1000. Maybe was just mine, but the seat was always a lesson on how to slowly neuter a man, and change the way he walks. Power was just under 100hp, lots of noise... no go! in the end had to trade it for a ninja 500! Which worked out as it got my wife into riding.
What was yours?

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
For a short time I owned a CX500, not a horrible bike by any means, just happens to be my least favorite.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
I know you probably meant streetbikes, but the 82 yz490 Yamaha was enough to make me swear off the brand. Not because Yamaha is bad. Any company who would sell that specific bike isnt worth dealing with, It was heavy, it had piss poor suspension, and was a 4 speed....a 4 speed dirtbike,no ****. It vibrated like a cement mixer. It handled like two motorcycles connected with a hinge.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haaa, now that's funny!
I always thought thy were straight line bullets

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Dennis, 40-45 hp, at most. Honda cr500 or kx 500 made 60, easy, and way more if you wanted it. The powerband was narrow. It made that from about 5000-5500. Poor low end. No top end. In a days riding, you had blood pouring from your hands. I had that on several occasions due to bad vibration. Yz400, 425, a d 465 were excellent bikes, but they really fucked up the 490.

If I had one now, I could fix a few of its issues, but back then there was no one to talk to. If the parts guy did not know what to do, that's where it ended.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
For streetbikes, I'm going with the 78-81 yamaha xs11. A very good engine wrapped in a mini bike like frame. That engine is only two generations away from the current fjr1300. The frame flexed enough to where I though it had defective paint. The ahit would fall off, right around the swingarm pivot. The bike had a lot of torque. Low end was very ninja 1000 like. Sadly, if you gave it any throttle, the shaft drive locked up.

The rear shaft tried to climb the pinion gear. This extended the rear suspension, and locked it up. If you hit a bump while this was happening, the bike threw you 75-90 feet. Yes, a highside when you were in a straight line. It broke three of my ribs, my right shoulder, punctured my lung, and to many other issues to mention. I bought an 82cb900f with the insurance money. Another **** you to yamaha.

·
Registered
559 Posts
My first bike was a 2003 Honda VFR 800. I am one of those that when I buy something I usually plan on keeping it for a long time and put 45,000 miles on that bike. But it was a bit heavy, made only about 100 horsepower and was gutless below 7000 rpm. Brakes were adequate, but barely. Put Helibars on it but always wished it was just a little more upright and had more power. I was happy with the bike while I had it but it ranks as the least favorite of all the bikes I have owned.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man, you should write articles! Maybe a new source of income during a global crisis..
growing up we had a community motocross track that everyone brought their push-pull-or drag to. Quads, trikes, enduro's, everything. One guy brought a barely together Suzuki PE 175 (Pee eww), bikes were crap but the track was a ligitimate track with a major jump at the end that would compress your suspension and rocket the bike into a stubble field. The guy on the PE hit the jump, the PE compressed, then the PE blew apart. As the PE was rocketed into the air, the tank and seat blew off (no joke) and the rider was frantically trying to find his foot pegs while in the air. Funny thing about these moments is how time seems to slow down so much that all of us watching felt like we had enough time to pull out our wallets and place bets. He did not find his pegs before he landed, that's the closest we came in our day to seeing a gender less man, as for the Suzuki PE 175...it did not gain a following that day. We all considered NHL jock cups as standard equipment though

·
Registered
871 Posts
05 R6S

I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Damn twitchy. Gutless. Crap suspension.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Highly tuned GSXR1000. It was the bike that made me realize I wasn't after all the power I could get after all. Many years later I have the most fun on bikes that are a fraction that size.
And I just love mine. It's why there are so many different bikes out there.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Zaph, I always felt the same way, and really likes the smaller, lighter bikes. . I had a kdx175, and 82 model. I bought an 81 kx125, and switched out its suspension and added the aluminum swing arm. I wish I still had it. The bike was awesome. I never ended up keeping my smaller bikes, and I'm not sure why.

·
Registered
507 Posts
And I just love mine. It's why there are so many different bikes out there.
Different strokes for different folks! Maybe if I had a newer model with traction control I might have liked it better. Damn thing wanted to fly out from under me every corner exit. It answered my question "what amount of power is too much?" For a little while lifting the front wheel with power in 2nd gear at 100 mph was fun, but I even got tired of that and found it more fun to row through all 6 gears in my 300 just to get to 100.

I also love small bikes. I'm working to get an RZ350 soon.
Now you're talking! put that one in the bikes I miss list. Damn I wish I never sold it.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
It is a love hate thing with me - the RD350. Loved it every time I rode it, hated it every time I had to take it in to the mech, which was as often as I rode it....

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
123 Posts
Man. I'm glad that I didn't scratch the VFR itch I had for years. Seems like the bike sucks. Such a disappointment to hear.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Man. I'm glad that I didn't scratch the VFR itch I had for years. Seems like the bike sucks. Such a disappointment to hear.
My VFR was not horrible, just the least favorite of all the ones I have owned. But compared to what is available today in the middle weight sport touring catergory, the VFR 800 is a poor performer. Surprised Honda has not killed it.

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
137 Posts
My first bike at 8 years old, a 50cc Honda Mini Trail. Loved having a motorcycle...hated the bike. Would not start. I would put it on the kickstand to try to kick start it. I would literally jump up off the pegs and use all my weight to try to start the thing. I would soak the spark plug in gas too. Not sure if that ever helped, certainly not a good idea!

Once started it fun to ride. The throttle would stick, so I had cruise control. So that was a plus!

Never missed it once i was rid of it. Had a Kawasaki 80cc after that. Loved that bike. Rode it rain, sleet, snow or shine!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Owned a 1992 Seca II for about a year. Was a big Yamaha fan up to that point, and that bike kinda soured my enthusiasm. Air cooled 600cc I4 was weak and cold blooded. Suspension ho-hum. Head stock would wobble at some speed range if I let go of the handlebar - not to the point of being dangerous but annoyingly unsettling nevertheless. Just an all-around meh bike.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts