Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A story for you, please stay awhile, and listen...

TL/DR: Ducatis look great, but suck and the Ninja 1000 is the best sport "touring" bike on the market. Hands down.

Back in 2011, I started my riding experience on a ninja 250. Looking back, that was an amazing little motorcycle. A great starter bike for anyone out there. After a year on that bike, I was ready for more power. I went to the local dealer and picked up the new black and white 2011 gsxr 600. It was a N00b mistake at the time because they had the 2012 750 for only $600 more. Oh well. After riding gsxr 600 (Isabelle) for 6 years and modding the triple tree w a spiegler lsl handle bar riser system, it was time for an upgrade. I wanted a bike that had the sportbike engine response found in the 600cc+ models it w a sport tour body position. The 600 had been great on and off the track but lacked the power I wanted.

Then came the darkest time of my motorcycle riding career I've experienced so far. In 2019, I had thought about and decided on buying a 2018 Ducati Scrambler 1100 for $8600. It was a very stupid stupid stupid mistake even though the price was amazing. I'd had a great demo ride on it and I thought I would like it.

I was wrong. So very very wrong.

Don't get me wrong, Ducati bikes, across the board, look amazing, but that, to me, is where their appeal ends. Ducati, on principal, do NOT like their owners doing their own maintenance or their own modding. You will be hard pressed to find the service manual or similar info. On top of that, the "new" scrambler is that unwanted family member that you have to deal with but can't fathom how you are even possibly related to them. They really are. An underpowered, uncomfortable, but good looking bike. Her name was Gloria and she was that ex you had that just don't/will want to/not talk about. Just an overall bad mistake that you want to move on from asap.

That brings me to the present day. So, because of the microchip shortage, and a ton demand, the used motorcycle market is great right now if you want to sell. At least in the Twin Cites. So I sold the ducati and went searching for a new bike. Years back, when I had the gsxr, I got to demo a 2013 maroon/red ninja 1000. It was AMAZING and I remembered that moment as I begin my search. The search didn't last long. I was able to pick up a 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS w only 12k miles for $5600. She needed some love (new tires, brake bleed, and suspension tuning), but I was able to, unlike the ducati, find the information I easily w very little effort. Her name is Esmeralda after her pretty green color. After a year and a half outside the sport bike world, I forgot what it was like to be happy. To roll on the throttle and the power flows. To have a bike that responds to you is the greatest gift ever.

So all in all, I made some mistakes, really bad ones, but I have learned my lesson. I can't wait to put some serious miles on the bike and to make some new memories.

See ya all on the road and may your search for the perfect twisties be bountiful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had the same kinda of problem with the VFR800. Bought it a year ago. Did ride 10k km on it. But had to rise steering. Stock is like riding a sport bike. Had a FZ6 before that which was great. almost 100bph. Good rider position. When I sold the VFR800 which was a great looking bike. Had a white model 2016. I made a test drive on the 1000sx 2021 model. First ride I made, made me smile. I was sold. Bought it that day. Two things I dont like is the resonation at 130km/h. And it feels like at higher speeds the steering wants to wobble. Maybe do something about my dampning. But won't look back. Happy with the bike. Cheers.

·
Registered
2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had the same kinda of problem with the VFR800. Bought it a year ago. Did ride 10k km on it. But had to rise steering. Stock is like riding a sport bike. Had a FZ6 before that which was great. almost 100bph. Good rider position. When I sold the VFR800 which was a great looking bike. Had a white model 2016. I made a test drive on the 1000sx 2021 model. First ride I made, made me smile. I was sold. Bought it that day. Two things I dont like is the resonation at 130km/h. And it feels like at higher speeds the steering wants to wobble. Maybe do something about my dampning. But won't look back. Happy with the bike. Cheers.
The resonating at 130km/h (80mph) is just the bike telling you need to go faster especially on that fast corner. ;) I’m glad you enjoying your ninja 1000 to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Haha its tempting to go faster. Reducing speed to 120km/h Also works. Still havent had any fines in 5 years. Want to keep it that way.

The story you told, can relate to it. It's a difficult decision when buying a motorcycle. Testriding it for half an hour. It feels good, but when touring its horrible. Atleast mine was. The SX is one of the last real sport tour bikes. I didnt have any choice, choosing a sport tour. Only bike availeble is de kawa sx. No other brand makes sport tour anymore. So I knew If I still wanted to ride a full fairinged bike with al the nice addons like cruise control. Only one bike would tick the boxes. VFR is a nice bike but not a tour bike. Yamaha honda suzuki, all the big brands dont produce the sport tour anymore. Such a shame. But hey. Happy I switched to kawasaki. Now considering a steering damper for higher speeds. Higher speeds remove the resonation, Ive heared. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts