Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
To be delivered when released 2023 Ninja 1000 SX
37 Posts
Geoff, yes, I do plan on contacting Vstream to push for some sort of remedy. More than likely nothing will happen, but it can't hurt to try. Thanks for the suggestion.
I would think if you approached it correctly they should do something for you, who knows they may not have known about this themself. I wish you all the best and look forward to seeing a positive result for you.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Has anyone had this happen with the Puig racing screen? I have the clear one and this thread has made me a little paranoid.
I have both the Puig and Vstream screens and I don't think the Puig is going to be an issue. It has significantly different curvature. I'm thinking about flat black paint on the inside bottom half of my Vstream.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have both the Puig and Vstream screens and I don't think the Puig is going to be an issue. It has significantly different curvature. I'm thinking about flat black paint on the inside bottom half of my Vstream.
Just interested in why you would not use a Vinyl over paint?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I feel for you also confirming that the screen was an issue at least you now know that it will be your cost to fix it and that's never going to be good news. Good luck with getting a cheap fix or if it is not affecting any functions it just might be worth living with it for now. I would be pushing Vstream to see if they are aware of it or willing to pay for the replacement or part of it as you now have 2 bikes on this forum both with the same issue and both with the same screen. Who knows they just might help you also if they are not awear of the problem make it known that the screen is not suitable for that model of bike.
Geoff, yes, I do plan on contacting Vstream to push for some sort of remedy. More than likely nothing will happen, but it can't hurt to try. Thanks for the suggestion.
I would think if you approached it correctly they should do something for you, who knows they may not have known about this themself. I wish you all the best and look forward to seeing a positive result for you.
I know its super annoying to actually read your installation instructions - but these are the instructions for the V-Stream screens - The bit in bold at the bottom is the bit you want. It sucks that you have damage and I am so stressed everytime I get my bike serviced that the dealer will mess up - I always put my screen in the lowest position when parking it now.

Font Screenshot Parallel Document Symmetry

·
Premium Member
15,203 Posts
I don't recall anyone talking about this issue on the older bikes. It was common on the concours 14, with an aftermarket shield. The new display must be large enough to where it moved into that dangerous area.

If you take a stock shield off he bike, you can hold it up to the sunlight and see what it does. Look for the well named death ray.

Now try it with the aftermarket shield that as thick, polished edges. Watch the deathrays you can create.

For gods sakes, do this in the back yard so no one sees you. They will think you lost it. When you do this you'll see the screen itself is mostly harmless. Our case don't burn the dashboard when we park them. The polished edges are where you can find the best death rays. If you sand those off with some 200 grit , it helps.

Both Zero G and Puig have warning stickers on them.

Reactions: Northwest

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
I don't recall anyone talking about this issue on the older bikes. It was common on the concours 14, with an aftermarket shield. The new display must be large enough to where it moved into that dangerous area.
You missed it. I posted long ago about my 2014 Ninja display getting a melted divot in it and there were a couple others.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Premium Member
15,203 Posts
I googled it and the 2020 era bikes were much worse. Now that you mention it, I do remember yours. Do you suppose the stock shields are built with this in mind? Rha might explain why the 2020 shield isn't large enough to make a good paper plate substitute.

·
Premium Member
15,203 Posts
This was puigs response to someone who had this happen on a cbr 600. They are saying the inside of the screen is the problem?

"Yes, double bubble screens (no matter what brand) can burn the top of your
dash. We supplied a warning sticker and/or a paper with the screen that
recommend the following:
- don't leave the bike where sunrays can hit the inside part of the screen."

Reactions: kenors

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Just interested in why you would not use a Vinyl over paint?
Because I never heard of it. Why would it be better/easier than spray paint?

Wait, are you referring to Vinyl as in vinyl wrap? To me, that's harder to use than paint.

Reactions: Geoff C

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
This was puigs response to someone who had this happen on a cbr 600. They are saying the inside of the screen is the problem?

"Yes, double bubble screens (no matter what brand) can burn the top of your
dash. We supplied a warning sticker and/or a paper with the screen that
recommend the following:
- don't leave the bike where sunrays can hit the inside part of the screen."
Absolutely. It's the REFLECTION from the inside of the screen that focuses the light to a point. Park the bike facing towards the sun or almost any angle except directly away from the sun.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Because I never heard of it. Why would it be better/easier than spray paint?

Wait, are you referring to Vinyl as in vinyl wrap? To me, that's harder to use than paint.
Yes, I was referring to wrap but go with what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know its super annoying to actually read your installation instructions - but these are the instructions for the V-Stream screens
@Minlak, I'm the stereotypical guy that throws instructions and warnings away before assembling or installing things. This one bit me in the arse. I did find the sticker shipped with Vstream and in VERY FINE print, far below several paragraphs is the warning for sunlight damage. This really should be in bold print, separate from all the legal jargon. Oh well, could have been much worse.

·
Registered
519 Posts
@Minlak, I'm the stereotypical guy that throws instructions and warnings away before assembling or installing things. This one bit me in the arse. I did find the sticker shipped with Vstream and in VERY FINE print, far below several paragraphs is the warning for sunlight damage. This really should be in bold print, separate from all the legal jargon. Oh well, could have been much worse.
The PUIG screen has a sticker over the mounting holes so you can't miss it.

Just today I fitted Lightech chain adjusters and the factory spec for the axle bolt is 190NM or 137ft-lbs - I had to use a rattle gun to get the nut undone it was that tight - I tightened it to 110NM - 86ft-lbs and spoke to some people that all said 190nm was way too tight and they would not go higher - I rang Yamaha and spoke to the service department but the guy I got was clearly not the service manager and said well if that is what the book says that is right.
I don't have a big enough Torque wrench and was about to go buy one - i then happened on the instal instructions on the bench that said in bold letter "Do not torque past 100NM" and a quick google search has people damaging the adapters at 190NM lol - So will leave it where it is and just check it after a few rides

41 - 54 of 54 Posts