Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
@azwindsock what did it say?
It tells you to park the bike facing into the sun not away from it as the rays of the sun may focus on one paint due to the convex shape of the screen - other recommendations are to drop the screen to its lowest setting when parking.

I usually put my gloves over the screen when I am parked up just in case now too.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
It tells you to park the bike facing into the sun not away from it as the rays of the sun may focus on one paint due to the convex shape of the screen - other recommendations are to drop the screen to its lowest setting when parking.

I usually put my gloves over the screen when I am parked up just in case now too.
Minlak, does this happen on your MT?

·
Premium Member
15,203 Posts
I wonder if a smoked screen might help avoid this?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Minlak, does this happen on your MT?
There was no waring on the MT screen like there was on the NINJA screen - I think the screen sits too vertical for it to be a problem - it cant really focus the beam anywhere as not concave enough

Reactions: MarkOne

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Keeping the tall vstream windscreen in the lowest position helps, my screen has survived being in the sun a couple of times now - you just gotta remember to do it.

·
Registered
To be delivered when released 2023 Ninja 1000 SX
37 Posts
This happened at in Norcal last week (Saratoga, few miles west of San Jose). I arrived at a Starbucks at around 1pm, and had my bike parked outside in the sun, I figured it should be okay.
3 hours later I get up to leave, and I see the sun has scorched my TFT screen and melted the top part of its plastic cover!
I had very recently installed the V-stream tall windscreen I bought off this forum (thanks bmac) and it may have something to do with the windscreen refracting the sunlight in just the wrong way. It was set to the highest position, in case someone wants to know.

Will I be able to get this replaced for free? I paid $1.5k extra for the extended warranty too.

View attachment 33722

View attachment 33721

I would suspect that you would get a warranty claim but before taking it to the dealership I would just change the screen back to the OME one just in case they want to use that as an excuse, not to play.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Step 1 is to get rid of the polished edges. That causes most of the problem.

The shield itself is clear, but the polished edges is where the magnification happens.

I saw that on my bike and caught it before it did any damage. I think this is why our stock shields don't do this nearly as often. They are thinner and have unpolished sides.

Park your bike in the sun, when it's overhead and look around. You'll see a beam, somewhere, from the polished edge. If that hits something important, it's a problem.
The person mentioned he had an extended warranty so I would not be touching it until I saw if I could claim it.

·
Premium Member
15,203 Posts
I was talking about his aftermarket shield. The one that caused the damage. Pointless to fix the display, no matter who pays, and have the problem repeat.

Reactions: Geoff C

·
Registered
37 Posts
Has anyone had this happen with the Puig racing screen? I have the clear one and this thread has made me a little paranoid.
I am considering something for mine once I get the bike. I want a screen that is around 1` taller and if you can get a 1 wider one, so getting to the point of what you asked McWoody, I was looking at the very screen you mentioned but in black as I won't need to look through the screen but want the added wind protection to reduce the wind noise more than anything. I know the Kawasaki Touring screen is 1` taller but not sure about the width of it so anyone that can tell me about the OME touring screen would be nice to know. If you are worried about the same thing with your screen maybe just take a microfiber cloth with you when you're stopped throw it over the screen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Crap!! Vstream sport touring windscreen shot its death ray at my meter. Only had the bike for 3 weeks :mad:. I stumbled upon this thread and now I understand what happened. At first, I thought somebody heated a key, and then pressed into the plastic. All the years of having the Vstream mounted on my previous FZ1 never caused any issues. Yeah, I know parking the bike to prevent certain angles of the sun will help, but knowing me I'll forget, and then come back to another scar. This thing is coming off.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Trunk Motor vehicle

·
Registered
37 Posts
Crap!! Vstream sport touring windscreen shot its death ray at my meter. Only had the bike for 3 weeks :mad:. I stumbled upon this thread and now I understand what happened. At first, I thought somebody heated a key, and then pressed into the plastic. All the years of having the Vstream mounted on my previous FZ1 never caused any issues. Yeah, I know parking the bike to prevent certain angles of the sun will help, but knowing me I'll forget, and then come back to another scar. This thing is coming off. View attachment 34283
I feel for you also confirming that the screen was an issue at least you now know that it will be your cost to fix it and that's never going to be good news. Good luck with getting a cheap fix or if it is not affecting any functions it just might be worth living with it for now. I would be pushing Vstream to see if they are aware of it or willing to pay for the replacement or part of it as you now have 2 bikes on this forum both with the same issue and both with the same screen. Who knows they just might help you also if they are not awear of the problem make it known that the screen is not suitable for that model of bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would be pushing Vstream to see if they are aware of it or willing to pay for the replacement or part of it as you now have 2 bikes on this forum both with the same issue and both with the same screen.
Geoff, yes, I do plan on contacting Vstream to push for some sort of remedy. More than likely nothing will happen, but it can't hurt to try. Thanks for the suggestion.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts