Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been way too hot here for much riding, so haven't had much chance to stretch the legs of my 1000SX, beyond the 1.5 day 500 mile trip home after buying it in June.

The weather is finally breaking for the better - it's a cool 87 degrees outside right now with low humidity, and the riding season is beginning.

Planning a roughly 1200 mile 3-day trip up to the Sierra Nevada area from Tuesday to Thursday - not going to be any interstate slab, and even the more boring parts of the run up and back are still decent riding.

Cleaned and lubed the chain, checked the tires and fluids, and getting my noble steed ready to ride:
Automotive parking light Photograph Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX
14 Posts
Great photos and looks like a good trip! I love that part of the world. Mecca, really.

What exhaust do you have on your 2021 in the photos?

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
Very cool. We did a ride in June 2019 and coming up from So. Cal. and couldn't do 120 because it was still closed (snow) but we did 108 west, stayed in Jamestown (actually Sonora), then 4 east, 88 west and 50 back east to my bro-in-law's place in Reno. It was already hot but being at altitude most of the day was great! We like mountain roads too!

Reactions: NinjaJoe

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great photos and looks like a good trip! I love that part of the world. Mecca, really.

What exhaust do you have on your 2021 in the photos?
It’s a Delkevic slip on - came with the bike (I bought it with a whopping 409 miles on the odometer)

Sounds pretty good - maybe still a bit too tame/quiet - the huge bread canister cat under the bike seems to do a good job keeping the bike quiet.

Definitely looks a lot better than the stock exhaust Ray-gun/bazooka that Kawasaki put on the bike - dreadful styling there IMHO.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is the plan for day 1:

Looking forward to the ride through Yosemite.

Day 2 is where the real fun is:

And day 3 will just be back the same way as day 1 to get home - I ride through Death Valley several day trips a year and it's a great ride in and of itself.
Absolutely agree on Day Two being the fun ride. Monitor Pass (89) is one of my favorite roads but the whole day should be incredible. Enjoy!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see you have added a deflector to the wind screen. Do you notice and difference while traveling at highway (+:D) speeds in regards to air flow? For reference I'm 5'9" and have a Puig sport screen on my 20'

TIA

David
Hey David,

Actually just put the deflector on - had it for a couple of years, was like $30 off eBay - and have put it on other bikes for multi-day trips.

Actually haven't even ridden with it on yet, and have only done a few hundred miles with the Puig screen - which in and of itself was already a great improvement over the stock screen IMO. I'm 5'11". I've found the Puig works best in one of the two middle lean angles that are available - while most of my head was still in the airflow it was overall a much smoother ride than the stock screen.

Will play around with the height and angle on the deflector tomorrow and see if it is better or worse - have a set of Allen wrenches in my bag in case I decide to remove it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts