Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm about to install a GPS mount by SW Motech that mounts to the front tank bolts, and I have a question about the cable routing. I want to connect the GPS power cables directly to the battery as the mount itself does not drain battery, so the question is: Do I need to remove the side fairings in order to lift the tank just a bit so I can pull the cables from the mount to the battery? Or is there an easier/more sensible way to do this? My bike has the 12V accessory outlet in the front fairing so would it be easier to connect the GPS wires to the accessory outlet wiring?

·
Registered
367 Posts
So, I'm about to install a GPS mount by SW Motech that mounts to the front tank bolts, and I have a question about the cable routing. I want to connect the GPS power cables directly to the battery as the mount itself does not drain battery, so the question is: Do I need to remove the side fairings in order to lift the tank just a bit so I can pull the cables from the mount to the battery? Or is there an easier/more sensible way to do this? My bike has the 12V accessory outlet in the front fairing so would it be easier to connect the GPS wires to the accessory outlet wiring?
yes ez'er on the accessory outlet wiring.

You don't need to remove the side fairings to lift the tank up, but I would recommend doing so, so you can guide the GPS wire properly.

Reactions: JTL

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
You need to pop out the upper side pieces that wrap the sides of the tank. Each side has two posts that mount to the tank, into grommets. Go slow, and take it easy, don't want to pull too far and break 'em. Once you're that far, you can lift up the tank. From there, you have several options for wire routing. You can just go straight back, and around the airbox to the battery. Best part is, there's no need to remove the fairings for that path. If you decide to route the wires down one side, then all you need to do is remove the fairing on that particular side.

The fairings on this bike are quite easy to work with. Hardest part is the tabs that are near the headlights. But, even if those tabs get broken, everything still goes together just fine.

In this video I found, skip to 1:40. That covers the pieces I'm talking about. No need to do all the stuff the dude does before that though, unless you need it out of the way for wiring. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW5wS9S7rKc

My preference for wiring stuff up, is to hide as much of it as possible, as I don't like exposed wires in and around the handlebar area. Up to you though, of course.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to pop out the upper side pieces that wrap the sides of the tank. Each side has two posts that mount to the tank, into grommets. Go slow, and take it easy, don't want to pull too far and break 'em. Once you're that far, you can lift up the tank. From there, you have several options for wire routing. You can just go straight back, and around the airbox to the battery. Best part is, there's no need to remove the fairings for that path. If you decide to route the wires down one side, then all you need to do is remove the fairing on that particular side.

The fairings on this bike are quite easy to work with. Hardest part is the tabs that are near the headlights. But, even if those tabs get broken, everything still goes together just fine.

In this video I found, skip to 1:40. That covers the pieces I'm talking about. No need to do all the stuff the dude does before that though, unless you need it out of the way for wiring. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW5wS9S7rKc

My preference for wiring stuff up, is to hide as much of it as possible, as I don't like exposed wires in and around the handlebar area. Up to you though, of course.
That looks easy in the video, I'll definitely try it that way since I don't have a garage to work in... Since the mount itself bolts straight to the front tank bolts, not to the handlebar and the wiring starts under the mount, it should be pretty easy to hide the whole wiring set under the tank behind the airbox without removing the fairings.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I mounted my GPS on the left side and only needed to free the top of the left fairing; didn't touch the right; didn't remove the left.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts