Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people running for tank protectors? I've seen some pictures of interesting ones, but many of the threads I dug up on searches were older and had links that no longer work.

I've got a 2015, and I noticed that I'm getting some scratching a little further to the side of the tank than I expected, so I was thinking something that is fairly wide. On one hand, I like the idea of a clear protector, but also thought some of the grippy looking pads on the sides where legs touch the bike looked interesting.

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
143 Posts
The Tankslapper

Reactions: Oliver

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yep. Tankslappers are awesome if they stick to your tank. My N1K is great but I can't get them to stick to any of my other bikes and they're expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Here was my solution.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I went with old school tank pad... in silver carbon fiber. I've since added Techspec side grippers.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The OEM style tank protector gives good coverage.

---

There's also an aftermarket one from Motografix.

---

I use stomp grip but that is because I like the look of clear on the sides of the tank. The downside of stompgrips is that it is hard on leather pants. It really wears the leather down.

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
Before you stock anything down, order some of the 3m Venture shield, from ebay. This paint protection film is amazing. Simple to apply, and it's almost invisible.

Once it's in place, you cant see it. The cuts dont have to be accurate, or clean since the film disappears.

The tech spec pieces will stop pellets from an air rifle that shoots 1000 feet, per second.

·
Registered
946 Posts
The tech spec pieces will stop pellets from an air rifle that shoots 1000 feet, per second.
Surely you jest. :LOL:

Even a lightweight .177 pellet at 1000 ft/sec carries 12-15 ft-lbs of energy. It'll go right through the Techspec. FWIW, that's enough to put a nice dent on your typical exterior metal door. Don't ask me how I know.

My Hatsan Bully .30 will push a 50 grain slug past 1000 ft/sec, which is 111 ft-lbs of energy. That's into the range of .22 LR. I am pretty sure it will punch thru not only Techspec but the fuel tank it's attached to. Anybody wants to bring their N1k to try it out? :)

Reactions: Oramac

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before you stock anything down, order some of the 3m Venture shield, from ebay. This paint protection film is amazing. Simple to apply, and it's almost invisible.

Once it's in place, you cant see it. The cuts dont have to be accurate, or clean since the film disappears.

I'm seeing the 3m Scotchguard Pro paint protection film on Amazon, so I'm thinking maybe that for the actual rear of the tank to protect from zippers and such.
Llooking at where my legs actually touch on the bike it seems like the matte panel below the tank is where I really need the 'grip' type material.

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
202 Posts

Even a lightweight .177 pellet at 1000 ft/sec carries 12-15 ft-lbs of energy. It'll go right through the Techspec. FWIW, that's enough to put a nice dent on your typical exterior metal door. Don't ask me how I know.

My Hatsan Bully .30 will push a 50 grain slug past 1000 ft/sec, which is 111 ft-lbs of energy. That's into the range of .22 LR. I am pretty sure it will punch thru not only Techspec but the fuel tank it's attached to. Anybody wants to bring their N1k to try it out? :)
Penetration issues can be easily solved with a more effective "Tank Protector" such as this one .... 🤪

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I just reread your post and thought for a second; are you suggesting that I put a layer of the 3M paint protector on not just as protection itself, but that I put the 3m stuff on, then put whatever tank pad/tank grips, etc. on top of the film?
I know that when I put a tank protector on my last bike, I sort of worried about what would happen if I ever wanted to remove it later for some reason. It never ended up being an issue as I never removed it, but I suppose having the 3M layer in between there would make that a non-issue.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Penetration issues can be easily solved with a more effective "Tank Protector" such as this one .... 🤪
LOL... didn't think of it that way, but very true.

There was a thread a while back on the subject of carrying while riding: Carry ideas

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts

View attachment 31757
No, I'm not kidding. It was a strange situation that made me find out. They really will. My dad shot with an old Career 707. It was this goofy looking, pcp airgun. 22 caliber @ 1250fps. I still have a bunch of spring piston guns. At one point, I had every Beeman rifle from catalogue 25, including the FWB rifles. No **** airguns. German, only. Or Austria, and Steyr. The Air Arms stuff was hit, or miss as far as quality went. The tech spec worked well for any of those. But this Career 707 gun was super accurate, and fun to shoot. It was so .,,,..?? looking you didnt want anyone to see you with it. It could also be made to make almost no sound, and I'll leave that right there.

The pellet was loud when it hit the trap. This was no big deal until the neighbor lady stopped by. She sees my dad shooting this goofy/scary looking gun. He was afraid she was going to call the police.

I needed some heavy rubber to help with the sound. A truck mud flap would have been perfect I had nothing except the center tech spec piece from my sv 650. I tore it off and hung it from the center of his trap. The pellets hit it and didnt make the ring sound from hitting the metal trap.

For me, the airguns were about dead on accuracy, or Field Target competition. After my dad died, I sold it. I was afraid someone would see me with it, and the trigger sucked. Have you seen anything that's more goofy ?

·
Registered
946 Posts
That look like Korean Sam Yang PCP's. They make them with either 1 or 2 air cylinders. Yours has 2, may be that's why you think it looks goofy. They look fine to me. Sam Yangs are more field/hunting guns. Not exactly the most accurate, but pack a lot of punch.

Back in the springer days, German mfrs like FWB did make the best. These days, with PCP being the name of the game... not so much any more. UK actually account for many of the top mfrs, like Daystate, Brocock, Edgun, etc. They have a 12 FPE legal limit, so headshots on game are an absolute must. Accuracy becomes of upmost importance. We here in the US can have as much power as we darn well please. Heck, some of the big bore PCP rifles now pump out more FPE than a 9mm Parabellum. I've connected a .25 JSB Heavy on a starling's *** from 80yds, and the impact/shock made it DRT anyway. I still like a good bit of accuracy though. As Col. Whelen said, "only accurate rifles are interesting".

As for the Techspec... I see now what you meant. Sound deadening is not the same as stopping a pellet though. It just makes the metal target not ring as loud. It helped to absorb the high frequency vibration (the ping/ringing sound), but it did little to absorb the impact energy. That's why Dynamat is so popular in car audio circles, at least back in my days.

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
I just reread your post and thought for a second; are you suggesting that I put a layer of the 3M paint protector on not just as protection itself, but that I put the 3m stuff on, then put whatever tank pad/tank grips, etc. on top of the film?
I know that when I put a tank protector on my last bike, I sort of worried about what would happen if I ever wanted to remove it later for some reason. It never ended up being an issue as I never removed it, but I suppose having the 3M layer in between there would make that a non-issue.
Yes, do that. It really works. The real, 3m paint protection film is awesome. Buy way more if it than you think you need. Give it a weekqq× and you'll have this stuff on your motorcycle, your car, or any other painted surface you want to protect.

It cuts like stiff paper. It 98% disappears, once it's on, so the cuts dont need to be accurate. Many people buy pre cut kits, and those are expensive. The base material, on ebay, isnt that bad. For 20-30 dollars you can have enough to have fun with.

I tried to take a picture of my "work" I did such a bad job of cutting mine that its embarrassing. I would have done better if I knew it would have lasted 8 years, and still looked new.

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
I never felt like high powered airguns made any sense. They are like having the world's fastest moped. Accuracy, quiet, and a way to shoot at home was the best.

PCP was the same deal. So easy to be accurate with that it wasnt a challenge. Spring piston was. Your gun had to be tuned properly with custom springs and guides. Even then, the recoil happened in both directions. You had to do everything the same way, every time. A tighter hold, or one more lose would change things. They also tore scopes to hell. The class I shot in only let you have a 24x scope, maximum. I had 3 of the Bausch & Lomb 6-24X40, and one was always back for repair.

The tech spec piece hung in the middle of the trap, like a flap, or a dog door. The pellet hit it, with no backing, and it wouldnt punch through. If that isnt stopping a pellet, I'm not sure what would be?

Maybe deflected it is a better choice of words?

It's good stuff, if strength is all you want. The surface is also good. If it has a problem that would be that its thick. It's probably 5mm thick, at least, and it doesnt need to be to protect, or offer grip.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I still have a few break barrel springers in my collection. The simplicity of it does have some enduring appeal. And yeah, we all learned to shoot with a perfect artillery hold.

PCP is so much nicer. Never felt the extremely low recoil lacked challenge. Everything you do right up to the trigger break is exactly the same as shooting a 300 Win Mag. If you suck at trigger discipline, you'll suck at PCP rifle just the same. The difference is you get to watch the pellet fly out and impact the target - whether it's paper or a racoon - thru the scope... even at high magnification.

With a springer, even gas piston type, there is no way that'll happen.

Higher power lets you take larger game at longer distances. If you are just plinking or paper punching, nuh. There is something about sound of air rifles that don't scare game, especially with a good moderator. We have shot squirrels all afternoon. Tried that with a 17WSM... one pop and they were gone for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
202 Posts
ha ha ... the Tank Protector thread meandered into PCP vs Springer air-rifles. ;)

All I can say is that I used my Marauder PCP to pop crows in the backyard because they kept messing with my crops. Recoil is negligibly light (like you said) and accuracy is deadly good. I used to pick up crows and examine the entry and exit wounds to see which pellets are more effective. The only issue is that the o-rings inside the rifle do not last long and I had to do the painstaking process of overhauling the rifle to replace o-rings. It's very time-consuming. So, I gave up.

Of course, my face is on the Crow's Social Media Red Alert Wanted List. They all recognize me and my backyard is now relatively quiet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts