Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I obviously wasn't thinking when I got an incredible deal from my dealer for the Kawa panniers. I had the Motodynamic fender eliminator kit which can re-use the stock turn signals, but the problem is that the turn signals now moved far towards the front of the bike now block the panniers from being put on. Even if I redrilled holes in the plate support and moved them as far inwards as possible, they still get in the way. So asking anyone who wants the same clean look I want, plus still being able to use the panniers what they have done to accomadate both issues. From my own research so far, it looks as if Evotechs might work, stating it works with the panniers, but looking for all possible solutions from the knowledge base. Unless it's possible that there's some turn signals our there that's be a solution using the MD tidy I already have. Anyway, open for answers if you've got some, and much appreciated. From the Ninja money pit cellar, or maybe seller is better put. Evotech Tail Tidy

·
Registered
386 Posts
AFAIK, there aren't any separate turn signals that work with the MD tidy and the panniers. That said, there are options. I think the most common thing is to pick up one of the MD Integrated Taillights and just remove the outboard turn signals.

·
Registered
386 Posts
As in this Aramac? The weird thing is that in the video at the bottom, you can see the original turn signals, but not flashing, so not sure why they didn;t remove them unless it was for comparative reasons. MD lights
Yep. That's the one. No idea why they didn't remove the OEM fender for the video.

Reactions: Ninja Raven

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
As in this Aramac? The weird thing is that in the video at the bottom, you can see the original turn signals, but not flashing, so not sure why they didn;t remove them unless it was for comparative reasons. MD lights
/safety mode on
Maybe because in the USA turn signals MUST be separated by a minimum of 9" and they don't want to run afoul of the law?

I know for many of you it's better to look cool than to be safe and these lights do look great sitting in the driveway or to your buddy right behind you but under less than ideal conditions (glary sun, fog, overcast, at a distance) they don't do much to signal your intentions. At least they flash so folks around you can tell something is going on.
/safety mode off

·
Registered
386 Posts
/safety mode on
Maybe because in the USA turn signals MUST be separated by a minimum of 9" and they don't want to run afoul of the law?
/safety mode off
Got a link to that law? ;) I know some states mandate that, but not all of them do, and I'm unaware of any federal law mandating it. I could easily be wrong though.

In either case, I had an ITL on my ninja 650 and no other rear signals for a couple years and never got pulled over for it. I even got in a small accident with the bike (minor scuffs on both vehicles) and the officer didn't comment on it at all. No ticket for the ITL either.

Reactions: Riv

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Got a link to that law? ;) I know some states mandate that, but not all of them do, and I'm unaware of any federal law mandating it. I could easily be wrong though.

In either case, I had an ITL on my ninja 650 and no other rear signals for a couple years and never got pulled over for it. I even got in a small accident with the bike (minor scuffs on both vehicles) and the officer didn't comment on it at all. No ticket for the ITL either.
Got me! Googled "USA federal turn signal spacing" and then hit their suggested "How far apart must turn signals be on a motorcycle?" link and it gave me a nice paragraph about it and I didn't notice it was part of California's regulations. Good catch.

I thought it made sense because Washington (my state) also has the same regulation. This one I know well.

It doesn't negate the fact that the single light spot in less than ideal conditions is attracts less attention than spread multicolor lights. e.g.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
386 Posts
It doesn't negate the fact that the single light spot in less than ideal conditions is attracts less attention than spread multicolor lights. e.g.
Oh that's absolutely true! My wife has pointed that out to me several times. :ROFLMAO: I've been slowly creating a plan to make pannier mounted turn signals. Just need to find the right parts.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Oh that's absolutely true! My wife has pointed that out to me several times. :ROFLMAO: I've been slowly creating a plan to make pannier mounted turn signals. Just need to find the right parts.
My wife got me one of these for my BD a couple years ago. My main riding buddy got one after seeing it. I must say, it works GREAT and is very attention getting. It's right up in the line of sight and flashes very bright. It detects deceleration so it comes on any time you slow. An hour's charge on a USB cord and it's good for an all day ride. No wiring to mess with and every time I get to the end of the driveway and brake it lights up and gives her piece of mind.

Reactions: Oramac

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. Kenors, I'm in Ontario, so no idea about whether that law you cited is extant in some form or other here or not. Scouring the net, I just found this very elegant looking solution which would obviously run afoul of the law you cited. :ROFLMAO::unsure: Anyway, have a look at these: Turn and brake light
Lets be honest, if we followed all the laws this would include no cardo allowed on the exterior of the helmet. At some point you will bend the law. Just be smart With the choices. I just deleted the turn signals and went with a better tail light with integrated signals and 3 flash break warning. No more issues with signals hitting my cases.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Lets be honest, if we followed all the laws this would include no cardo allowed on the exterior of the helmet. At some point you will bend the law. Just be smart With the choices. I just deleted the turn signals and went with a better tail light with integrated signals and 3 flash break warning. No more issues with signals hitting my cases.
We all have our experiences. I only had to be rear-ended once 27 years ago to have my priority changed. Nothing to do with the law. Truth be told, my amber rear running lights are against the law in Washington but every bike since that evening in 1993 has had the rear turn signals turned into running lights even before Blinker Genies and I had to make my own circuitry. The hyperlites beside the license plate act as continuously blinking brake lights.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My wife got me one of these for my BD a couple years ago. My main riding buddy got one after seeing it. I must say, it works GREAT and is very attention getting. It's right up in the line of sight and flashes very bright. It detects deceleration so it comes on any time you slow. An hour's charge on a USB cord and it's good for an all day ride. No wiring to mess with and every time I get to the end of the driveway and brake it lights up and gives her piece of mind.

Those are pretty slick. I've been thinking about getting one for me and the wife. Sadly, she puts this wacky ponytail thing on her helmet, so the brake light doesn't fit. :ROFLMAO: I'm far more concerned about her than me. Though I suppose the reverse is true for her.

·
Registered
2022 1000SX Green
5 Posts
View attachment 33874
Nice looking bike. What model are your tank pads?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quick update guys, I ordered the brake and integrated signal light which I cited in the link a few posts up. Kills two birds with one stone- and two less turn signals 😹 -but I also ordered the electronic flasher relay they make too, which deals with the replacing the OEM relay to regulate the signals frequency. The programmer included allows for 11 different lighting sequences too. I was really impressed by the company in general, reading their thoughtful perpective on the clear vs smoked lens and what they did regarding that issue. Bonus for anyone interested: both are on sale at the moment. The deal I got for the panniers pays for this and 2 times over, so not too concerned about the money when I'll now be able to use the damn things. Integrated brake and signal light

1 - 20 of 29 Posts