Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
So many great roads in that area. The Dragon is good during the week but usually a mess on weekends. Glad you had a safe trip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So many great roads in that area. The Dragon is good during the week but usually a mess on weekends. Glad you had a safe trip.
We arrived on Sunday and left on Thursday, so the traffic wasn't bad at all. We ended up spending most of our time on the Cherohala.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like a fun trip.

What seat are you running?
I have a sargent. For this trip, I also used an Airhawk air cushion. It worked ok but 550 miles is a lot in one day. The problem is the seat pushes into the tank and the air cushion doesn't work properly.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a sargent. For this trip, I also used an Airhawk air cushion. It worked ok but 550 miles is a lot in one day. The problem is the seat pushes into the tank and the air cushion doesn't work properly.
I was having a similar issue; the sargent seat is more comfortable, but the somewhat slippery surface meant I would slide forward into the tank whenever I would slow down, particularly if I was wearing my textile riding pants. I was able to pick up one of the Sargent seats with the grippier cover, and it has helped quite a bit with that.
I've only ever tried one of those air cushion things briefly. Have you tried a sheep skin? I know a lot of long distance and rally riders swear by them.

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
If you buy a Sargent, you want the DTX cover. It's not like a dirt bike, gripper seat cover, but it's not slick. You have to use rhe custom option to get it, but it's a better cover.

And damn the guy who had Sargent add 1 inch of foam. I wont be happy until I do the same.
Bicycle Bicycle saddle Grey Bicycle part Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
If you buy a Sargent, you want the DTX cover. It's not like a dirt bike, gripper seat cover, but it's not slick. You have to use rhe custom option to get it, but it's a better cover.

And damn the guy who had Sargent add 1 inch of foam. I wont be happy until I do the same.
Me neither. I had the DTX cover on my 98-99 VFR seat for 12 years and when I ordered one up for the Ninja, Sargent didn't mention it and I forgot. Mistake with a textile suit. Not nearly as slippery now with 120k+ miles on it. :)
But I do miss the extra foam. I was thinking of getting an extra 1/2" but I keep putting it off and just add a piece of sheepskin. Having them build up the front a half inch would be nice.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
17 Posts
Always a great time heading down there. Like other have stated the Cherohala is probably one of the best roads worldwide. Early morning no traffic is amazing!

·
Registered
2018 Versys 1000 & 2021 Z900RS
19 Posts
Yepper.....the Cherry-Cola Skyway is awesome in many ways. The Richard Russell Skyway outside of Helen Ga is great also. (y) (y)

·
Registered
823 Posts
The Dragon is fun but can be a bit of a workout when ridden fast. It never lets up!!

The Cherohala is probably the best motorcycle road in the area. The Foothills Parkway is nice, especially the new section between route 321 and Wears Valley which has some great curves and billiard table smooth asphalt.

Going up the south side of Blood Mountain in Georgia is a blast!

Reactions: savedzrex

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Dragon is definitely a workout for my fat, out of shape ***. Cherohala is a fast, fun road. I really wanted to hit Wayah rd, but we never got the chance. It looks fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts