Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

Tail Bag

19K views 52 replies 29 participants last post by  jps 
#1 ·
Does anyone use a tail bag or have a recommendation?

I liked the kawi tail bag but it seems small and limiting. The Ogio seems to be the right size and gets great reviews.

#8 ·
Hey thanks George! Do you leave the Kawi on when you go inside somewhere? My tank bag is scratching the crap out of my tank. I need to get it off there. However I do carry a GPS, my wallet, and iPhone in my tank bag and would want those in my tail bag now. So do you lock yours up if valuables are in it or does it come off easy enough?

#9 ·
I leave the bag on but I put my valuables in my side cases. It's made that you can only get it off when you pop the back seat. It has a lip that slides over the back part of the seat and 2 velcro straps that secure it. I don't think anyone could rip the bag off BUT I'm sure they can open it no problem. It takes 10 seconds to take the bag off so I would carry it with you if you couldn't lock up your valuables. I really like the bag though. It looks really good on the bike. Don't know how weatherproof it is yet though.

#11 ·
I have a Ventura Imola.
Imola - motorcycle luggage - Ventura - Ventura

I use it every day, I clip it on and off multiple times at home and work etc. It's the perfect size for me to carry my phone, wallet lunch and bits and pieces to work and can be expended to carry a helmet if required.

At first I thought it was low quality and I didn't think it would last long but it has actually been great. I got caught in a REALLY bad storm (the worst weather I've ever ridden in) and while I was absolutely soaked by the time I got home, the bag kept the contents totally dry. I was amazed.

The trick is routing the tie straps so you don't rub paint though and I've got that sorted out by using the pillion handles. The only criticism I have is it needs 2 or 3 internal pockets for keys, phone etc. It only has one small pocket for keys.

#15 ·
I use the N1K for a 100 mile round trip work commute (and local rides), so I opted for the top rack. I like having a locking case as I street park and it also keeps the bike narrow for lane splitting. For over-nighters and longer trips, I ride a 2011 Concours. The 39L case fits both bikes. I like the N1K side cases and figured if I used it for multi-day trips I'd eventually sell the C14 (but probably won't as it's a sweet bike) If I need to go overnight on the N1K, I'll just strap an overnight bag to the pass seat or get soft side-cases. I may swap out one for a Versys 1000 in a year or 2 if it turns out to be a winner, though. (and the color scheme works.

#20 ·
This is from the "kawi tank bag review" thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN-rtuMCMEQ
rapid transit recon 19

The kawi tail bag does look better and fit within the bike's profile but it doesn't have the capacity of others. If you need more than just a tank bag why not use the kawi tail bag in addition? Some people don't like swinging a leg over a tail bag if they don't have to. Some don't like a tank bag in their space up front or they don't like magnets. For short commutes that don't demand full capacity storage, it's either tank or tail, one or the other, but not both.

#39 ·
Amazon.com: Nelson-Rigg CL-1060-S Black Sport Tail/Seat Pack: Automotive

Great price and perfect fit on passenger seat. I returned the kawi tail bag and got this. I think it's better for the N1K.
Hi Tony

I booked my Ninja 1000 a week back. Expecting Delivery by first week of October. I was considering the Kawasaki Tail bag however it does seem a little too small for weekend trips hence, was checking out the Nelson Rigg CL-1060-S & ST tail bags.
I love the way the tail bag straps go under the seat and keep that flawless clean look of the bike. I know the Kawasaki Tail bag goes under the seat and does not have any issue with the locking mechanism as it is OEM fitment.

Since you own the Nelson Rigg 1060-S I was wondering if you could share some pictures of the tail bag mounted on the Ninja 1000. Does the straps allow the rear seat lock to be in place?

#29 ·
I just bought this tour Master slect tail bag for a three night trip to Pennsylvania, thunder in the valley, and at first I thought it was to big but after putting it on the bike I think it's a good fit for a few nights out if you pack light. The dimensions are 11.5"L x 14"W x 9.5"H it says 23 liters. My trip is at the end of the month I'll let you know how it worked.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.