Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks @FeralRdr
Very Helpful! Clears my doubt about fitment of Nelson Rigg CL1060S & ST on Ninja 1000. Must be mighty durable too if you have been using it for 4-5 years now.
Actually, I've only had it a little over a year. I got it last June (2016) to replace an old AXIO Hard Shell Tail bag that never really worked well for me.

Here's a tip. If you want a relatively easy and secure way to mount the bag onto the rear seat, take a look at both picts above where the tail bag is by itself. I use 1/2" Velcro Cable Ties (Hook on one side, Loop on the other) to secure the tail bag to the seat. I'm not saying that it is theft proof, but it definitely stays put when riding. Also, if you do want to pull the bag off and take it with you, It only takes a minute or so to pull the seat and unvelcro the straps.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have the Kriega US30 that I use on my custom rear seat rack and it's done probably close to 10,000 miles. It's a very tough, waterproof bag. The only thing to note is that depending on how full (or empty) the bag is, it may change how much tension the mounting straps provide. It's usually not a problem, just something to be be careful of.

The trick with these bags is getting the mounting right. Attaching one to the stock seat may not work really well unless you have a rear rack, then it becomes much, much easier to setup, especially for the daily load / unload.

Another thing I like about them is at the end of the day, you attach the shoulder strap and throw it over your shoulder, something you can't really do with hard luggage.

Here's a pic from a couple years ago. My setup has evolved a bit but it shows the general setup.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I too have a Nelson-Rigg, although a much smaller bag. I bought it to replace KAWI's OEM tail bag, which I'm happy to report I was able to sell. I've used the Nelson Rigg for 3 years (never take it off the bike) with no sign of wear tear. I bought a sheet of industrial strength velcro and cut it to the size of the passenger seat and bag, and unless I put a lot of weight in the bag that's all, otherwise a bungee cord.

·
Registered
2014 N1K
58 Posts
Nelson Rigg on my 2016.... its expandable, hold alot of stuff. I would recommend it.
And coming in 5 years later!! I also decided on the Nelson Rigg Commuter tail bag. I chose the largest of their 3 variants; the Commuter Tailbag 1060-ST2. Clean install (straps run under the passenger seat), looks good and expands well.
Grille Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Expanded!!

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Expanded!

Green Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Gas

Fits a Large HJC helmet easily.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Ninja 1000SX
18 Posts
Oliver....that one looks awesome. I use a Moto Fizz SMALL

Camera accessory Luggage and bags Material property Backpack Bag

·
Registered
2015 Ninja 1000SX
18 Posts
That bag looks very nice! This is why I like this forum; I wasn't familiar at all with the Moto Fizz brand.....then I spent about 30 minutes looking at all of the other stuff on the Aerostich site after I Googled that bag!!
EBay has them listed under the manufacturer's name (that I can't recall, same bag though....the MEDIUM is big, the LARGE, well......

Aerostich.....I have several suits (and tested them on pavement twice), they are indeed that good but the prices have climbed steeply in recent years.

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
175 Posts
I used both the medium and small size Moto Fizz bags for a while. My only complaint was that the rain cover that they provided was a joke. It was like a big shower cap that didn't fit properly at all and needed to be tucked in and bound up with straps or bungee cords to keep it in place. A real PITA when trying to do that in the rain on the side of the road! The Nelson Rigg bags come in 3 sizes and each has an easy on/easy off well fitting cover that stays on without any strapping.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
569 Posts
I did not see anyone highlighting SW-Motech.
Take a look at their website.
There're quite a few tail-bags and they tend to be a little pricey but they are solid quality products designed in Germany.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts