Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Swapped the OEM windscreen on my 2017 Ninja 1000 for the Puig Racing (Dark Smoked) screen. I like the way it turned out. I forgot to really test it. It seemed like the middle height setting on the stock one worked the best for wind deflection for me. Tomorrow I’ll get out on the road and compare how this one does.

Attachments

Reactions: jr_tx and N1KLife

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Looks good, I put one of those on my bike and the daughters bike, I like the looks of the puig the best it compliments the bikes for sure.

Reactions: N1K1LE

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks great, i ordered the same one a few days ago and it is on it's way, can't wait to fit it on my bike.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m not going to get to ride today and compare the two wind screens. I did a couple of miles yesterday as an errand on city streets on the lowest setting and it seemed fine, but the real test will be highway. On the highway the OEM screen blasted me in the face shield on the lowest setting. The medium setting seemed best. The highest setting created a buffeting effect that was bad. I’m hoping the Puig performs better, since it looks good on the bike and isn’t as prone to scratching as the OEM shield.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Any update on this? I'm planning on replacing the stock one this spring, the buffeting off the OEM kinda sucks... I don't want a full touring type one as I like to have it down on the low setting in the summer in the heat and at lower speeds, but have a little better wind protection for cold mornings on the ride into work down the highway.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I put the Puig on my 14 and it is much better then stock. Low and middle settings provide clean non-turbulent air without a ton of wind noise and the high setting is not perfect but way better then stock and is actually usable in cold or rain conditions without the buffeting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any update on this? I'm planning on replacing the stock one this spring, the buffeting off the OEM kinda sucks... I don't want a full touring type one as I like to have it down on the low setting in the summer in the heat and at lower speeds, but have a little better wind protection for cold mornings on the ride into work down the highway.
Sorry, the weather has been terrible around here, and I’ve been working long hours. The weekend is looking good, so I should get a chance to test the new shield.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Puig rocks on the '14 N1k.

No idea what issue you're trying to correct, or we have the same taste in airflow. For me it's Puig.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Puig rocks on the '14 N1k.

No idea what issue you're trying to correct, or we have the same taste in airflow. For me it's Puig.
I wanted a little more protection from the wind, less buffeting and a better look for the bike.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I went out for some “spirited” riding tonight for fun and to get a feel for the new Puig Racing windshield. This is obviously subjective opinion after only about 20 miles of mixed highway/city. Keep in mind I was in cool weather clothes so basically no skin was exposed since it was 45 degrees Fahrenheit out there, and after dark. I also had my top vents on my helmet closed, so my perception of where the wind was striking me at the various settings may be slightly skewed. I did hit some relatively high speeds though.

1. On the lowest setting the Puig seemed to match the OEM on the medium setting for protection and practically no buffeting.
2. On the medium setting the Puig seemed great as well. There didn’t seem to be a huge difference in feel from the low to medium settings, so I will probably stay on low more with the Puig.
3. On the highest setting the Puig seemed to create less buffeting at highway speeds, although a lot more than on the medium and lowest settings which were smooth as glass. I think I’d reserve the highest setting for rain riding only.
4. The Puig dark smoked racing screen looks WAY better than the OEM.

In my opinion so far I would say it was well worth the price on looks alone, but the performance over the OEM unit seems to be outstanding. I don’t think I’m sugar coating it too much, but if upon further riding and many more miles I feel differently, or notice more points worth mentioning I’ll come back and chime in again. This weekend is supposed to be perfect riding weather so...

Reactions: scubasteve711

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar wind protection experience plus I think it's easier to see the dash in sunny conditions with the dark windshield and it hides the dirt on the back of the dash that you can't reach when washing the bike.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
The looks are worth the price alone.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a similar wind protection experience plus I think it's easier to see the dash in sunny conditions with the dark windshield and it hides the dirt on the back of the dash that you can't reach when washing the bike.
There you go. I think the Puig Racing Windscreen/Windshield is a winner; experienced by me and confirmed by others.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The looks are worth the price alone.
I agree, but the fact that the looks aren’t even the best part makes this an aftermarket mod worth getting. Plus, it takes all of 10 minutes to swap if you take your time.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've had one of these hanging in the garage for awhile, now it's mounted up. Straight off, the Puig's screw drillings were not so precisely placed and took full advantage of the flexible well nuts...and then some. In the lowest position its profile is taller (and wider) than stock, with a slight reverse curve flip-up approaching the top edge and smaller lateral cut-outs. I'm hoping it's smooth and quiet, because it cannot be lowered as much as the stocker if cleaner helmet airflow is desired.

Looks are entirely subjective...I had the stock smoke tint Kawasaki Europe screen on there before and loved its sharper aesthetics. The Puig is a little less distinctive to my eyes.

Ride report to follow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had one of these hanging in the garage for awhile, now it's mounted up. Straight off, the Puig's screw drillings were not so precisely placed and took full advantage of the flexible well nuts...and then some. In the lowest position its profile is taller (and wider) than stock, with a slight reverse curve flip-up approaching the top edge and smaller lateral cut-outs. I'm hoping it's smooth and quiet, because it cannot be lowered as much as the stocker if cleaner helmet airflow is desired.

Looks are entirely subjective...I had the stock smoke tint Kawasaki Europe screen on there before and loved its sharper aesthetics. The Puig is a little less distinctive to my eyes.

Ride report to follow.
Not sure what year N1K you have Rickifumi, but the holes for mine were pretty much dead on, on my ‘17. In fact I was expecting fitment issues but had none. I’m not new to aftermarket parts in the automotive world. Let us know what you think. I’m sold on it for my 17. It is staying on for sure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also I would say, for 92 bucks shipped to my door this is one hell of a value mod. Form and function... BTW, did I mention I love my N1000? Anyone on the fence about getting a 17-19 Ninja 1000, should get off the fence. Get it. While I do see an H2 of some sort in my future, the N1K was the perfect returning bike for me. So glad I didn’t settle for the N650.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Not sure what year N1K you have...
It's a 2018.

Just eyeballing the Puig, being created from plastic sheet it has a lot flatter profile than the compound curvature of the molded stocker. From experience, flatter screens generally create more turbulence and this increases as they're tilted upright (think of the typical flat and upright ADV screen).

Outwardly, the Puig reminds me of the 2017 Aprilia Caponord 1200 Rally's stock screen- rather flat and angled high enough to absolutely bash the eardrums and neck with roaring turbulence. Ironically, I fixed that by swapping to a much lower MRA with more compound curvature and no up-flip. With my helmet out in the smooth airflow I was much happier!

We'll see how this goes, I won't decide too hastily unless it's like that Caponord.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Everyone has their airflow and styling preferences. Personally, if the windshield can't lift the airflow at least to helmet level I have no use for it. The stocker hits me below the helmet so bugs, dust & grime and rain all hit the chest and blow up under the helmet. The Puig, especially with an added winglet solves that. Keeps 90% of the bugs off the face shield as well. For winter use up here the Vstream touring screen works even better! For me "It is better to feel good (warm and dry) than to look good."

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's a 2018.

Just eyeballing the Puig, being created from plastic sheet it has a lot flatter profile than the compound curvature of the molded stocker. From experience, flatter screens generally create more turbulence and this increases as they're tilted upright (think of the typical flat and upright ADV screen).

Outwardly, the Puig reminds me of the 2017 Aprilia Caponord 1200 Rally's stock screen- rather flat and angled high enough to absolutely bash the eardrums and neck with roaring turbulence. Ironically, I fixed that by swapping to a much lower MRA with more compound curvature and no up-flip. With my helmet out in the smooth airflow I was much happier!

We'll see how this goes, I won't decide too hastily unless it's like that Caponord.
Nope, I would not call that flat at all. Less turbulence. All around better. You should probably experience something before passing judgement.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts