Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,835 Posts
Gary, I always do the same. It makes me look forward to the new season start.

Sadly, looking forward to the new season makes it start later than it normally would. The last time I left old tires on, I was able to ride each and every month. I rode 200 miles on Thanksgiving day.

If I had new tires, no doubt it would have been snowing with a chance of tornadoes.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Sure, no problem. Almost any of them from about 2000 on will. They are lighter and make a lot of HP but at very high rpms. They'll need to be spinning at least 10k though before they can pull you.

The latest ones will run mid 10's. A N1K is low 11's, high 10's depending on how you believe. If you believe Sportrider mag, a late 90's Gixxer 600 will spank a stock N1K in the 1/4. Heck my 2003 Suzuki SV1000s v-twin will light it up quite easily as well.

Just for reference, go here.
Sportbike Performance Numbers | Sport Rider

OTOH there are few bikes better in a roll-on contest. So if you are going to play with a Super Sport 600, they are definitely going to pull you if they have the revs up.

·
Premium Member
12,835 Posts
You find the American magazines use corrected times when doing 1/4 mile times.

Thats fine, and probably the only way to do a comparison that lasts years. Proof is, we're right here now quoting times from the year 2000.

Truth is, if you take your bike to the strip, you'll never come close to those times you see printed. Heres z 1000 thats mostly stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5OJweaLsmc&list=UUwPtxhNqdiAgz0zdld4JxyQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Its interesting to see the faster times of the z 1000 vs the ninja. Only real difference is the ninjas extra weight.

What the quarter mile times wont show is the roll on time. If you are riding next a 600, at lets say 50 mph. If you both roll on the throttle, he wont catch you until top speed.

We'll leave it at that with my bike vs a 2012 zx6 (636 model)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
My 11 gsxr600 felt significantly faster than my 14 n1k... but its also about how they make power and gearing. My 600 would go just over 80mph in 1st gear. I believe the n1k is right around 70. So the number of shifts could also be a factor. As far as rollons - well on a perfect match the n1k demolishes 600's but generally its who ever jumps first that wins... its just too close. It is entertaining to watch 600's literally scream to do what we do effortlessly but if you are on dragstrip that is a whole different set of rules.

The n1k wrong gear torque is very nice... the scream of 14K rpm 600 is just f!n awesome though :)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Bought a liter bike to not fall out of power if I decide to ride 2 up, and to have a motor that doesn't need to be at 8-11k to make any kind of power.

A 600 would work if I wanted to be in a ball and high RPMs all of the time.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've always thought of our N1K's to be faster/quicker than a 600 but just under a 750. Guess I need to rethink that. I bought my 2014 N1K instead of a Gixxer 1000 I was looking at. I liked the upright riding position. Guess the performance I love of my N1K would be far better on the Gixxer. Hmmm, makes me think I might need two motorcycles.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Depends on your priorities when you ride. There is always a trade-off. I went for the total package, not just pure acceleration. Granted I do have faster bikes but I end up riding my N1K & K16GT the most even though they aren't the fastest, then again they aren't slow.

It comes down to how much can I really exploit the performance of a SS 1000 in most riding situations? Not so much on the street. I loved my S1000RR which was a super fast motorcycle and surprising comfy for what it was. At the time I was spending most of my time in the Midwest with no really great roads to ride AND super strict law enforcement coupled with low speed limits. Not like in Texas were you can run 85 mph all day long. I commuted a lot for a while between Houston, Dallas and Corpus Christi. I love some those Farm to Market roads and I spent a quite a bit of time in Austin as well. Love the hill riding there.

From my perspective where I noticed the pull on my old ZX12R and S1000RR was obviously much better once I got about 90/100 mph. Up to that speed the N1K really isn't that far behind. In roll on the N1K is right in the hunt with some of the fastest bikes out there. I use the roll on performance most of all. I just pretty much put in 6th and leave it there. It pulls well from almost any speed.

OTOH if you have room for another bike in the garage, why not? Fortunately I had my addiction before my wife and she knew it when she married me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm going to sound old here. The Ninja 1K gives me 90% of the speed I could ever want. My next bike will be a .....Goldwing. Haha...got some of your attention here didn't I? My wife and kids like to ride with me at times and having something bigger and more comfortable for us would be a nice addition. I just can't believe how expensive those are both new and used.

·
Registered
828 Posts
If you wand to have a more sporting bias, yet coddle your wife, look at the BMW K16GT. It can definitely hustle down a backroad yet very comfy on the superslab and probably the broadest torque peak I've ever ridden with 1600cc of 6 cylinder goodness to back it up. Not to mention it is as narrow as a 4 cylinder.

So don't quite head for the GW yet... If I didn't have to deal with heavy LA traffic and splitting lanes for hours on end some days, it would be the bike I ride every day. It isn't terrible there, just a bit wide.

Besides saying the N1K gives you 90% of the speed you need is like saying Heidi Klum is 90% of the hotness you need for a wife. Sure there are hotter but nobody is going to complain if you rolled up with Heidi on the back of your N1K instead of Jennifer Lawrence or Kate Upton...

·
Premium Member
12,835 Posts
I'm going to sound old here. The Ninja 1K gives me 90% of the speed I could ever want. My next bike will be a .....Goldwing. Haha...got some of your attention here didn't I? My wife and kids like to ride with me at times and having something bigger and more comfortable for us would be a nice addition. I just can't believe how expensive those are both new and used.

Old? I dont know. Ive never seen anyone get off of a Goldwing that was not impressed. The BMW is better if your in big cities, with bmw dealers and covered under warranty.

Im not sure its for me when there is a facebook page dedicated to faults, failures and recalls of your specific bike....https://www.facebook.com/BMW-K1600-Faults-Failures-and-Recalls-1410210559197155/

·
Registered
828 Posts
I've had great luck so far. Can't complain at all. No issues in 3 years now.

I've had GW's in the past and worked for Honda so I am not really anti-GW. It really feels like more of a car. I don't like the GTL version of the K16 as much as I like the GT. I can ride all day long at triple digit speeds with no issues and quite comfy.

If I dial back the speed I can get over 50mpg and get 350 miles on a tank. Normally I am at about 250-280 with some reserve. The lights work great, good ABS & traction control and the electric suspension works amazing well but I did upgrade to Wilbers as I wanted to push it pretty hard. Wilbers turned it into an magic carpet on the highway and very close to a hard core sportbike on the backroads. The headlights work great as well. The seeing through the turns isn't a gimmick.

So far the best bike I've ever owned.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Im not sure its for me when there is a facebook page dedicated to faults, failures and recalls of your specific bike....https://www.facebook.com/BMW-K1600-Faults-Failures-and-Recalls-1410210559197155/

The BMWs are great handling bikes, always get great reviews in the moto rags and lots of farkles. Unfortunately they also have a lot of problems. According to Consumer Reports they have a failure rate of around 40 percent by the fourth year of ownership. That combined with their high purchase price and cost of maintenance takes them off my short list.

If I were to buy a big comfy touring yacht I'd probably buy an FJR1300...

·
Registered
162 Posts
You guys are over here talking gold wings, am I the only one that always has an Enduro as my second bike? XR650R with both off-road and SM setups.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts