Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my suspension set at what came in from the factory. All stock. I weigh about 225 lbs. do you think I need to get the suspension tuned? I'm most interested if guys around my weight or heavier had it tuned. My bike doesn't quite keep the line I like in turns. I have read some say the front tire on the 2014's is the issue. Should I also put 40 psi up front?

·
Registered
206 Posts
You most definitely need to get your suspension adjusted for YOUR weight, including your gear.
the "stock" or "factory" settings are just an average, which may, or may not work for someone of larger proportions, or someone that rides harder than the average joe.

The front tire is not the issue with the 2014, I have found the rear tire width to be the cause of the front end pushing in the turns. The tire is too wide, I replaced mine with a 180 and the push went away. My Ninja almost handles like a real sportbike now. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
The rear tire is a 190/50 if you go up to a 190/55 the higher profile will help your turn ins a lot. I'm 230 on a '14 and the stock settings work pretty well for me. Not saying I've done track days, just so far so good.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Suspension/Tires

I ride a 2014 Ninja 1000, I have about 5500 on the bike now. I am by no means a racer or track guy...except in my mind..hehe. I am a spirited jockey though..I enjoy high speed, acceleration, and fast cornering. I enjoy working on my riding skills. Now I understand setting up the suspension is only good for skill training and getting the most out of the bike. I run Perelli Angel GTs at the moment with a 190-50-17 on the rear. I understand the theory about turn in occuring quicker with a 55 profile. What I would like to know is...does the profile change make the contact patch at the road/tire point any different..or is it just a faster turn in.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
the contact patch is larger. some road race tires are 60 series.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone running the 40 psi in the front tire rather than 36? Does it help and do you notice any unusual wear issues?

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
the recomended tire pressure keeps the proper profile. i would not over inflate. Turn the chain adjusters 180 degrees that will raise the rear. i would rather lower the front myself.

·
Registered
197 Posts
the recomended tire pressure keeps the proper profile. i would not over inflate. Turn the chain adjusters 180 degrees that will raise the rear. i would rather lower the front myself.
Which is funny because in my old days of racing you regularly ran 5 psi lower figuring heat increase and seeing tire pressures this high has me doing the zoinks lol. Even racing supermoto we'd run 15psi. Yep.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I was told by a Bridgestone rep to run 36f / 42r to keep the tire profile proper. now this is a touring tire were you are trying to get max tire life and not wear the center out so fast.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Tire PRESSURES

The original Bridgestones were S-20 Hypersports...I tried to keep 36 in the front and 42 at rear. They were both done at just before 5000 miles.

I had my dealer mount Perelli Angel Gts..the mechanic told me that he filled each tire at 36 psi. I tried that and if was fine, however, I think I will run 36 39 and see how i like that....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm 5'9 and 215lbs I set the rear preload at 10 clicks instead of the stock setting and find it to be less shock on the knees. I haven't adjusted the front yet, but I tried 11 clicks on the rear and felt the back end of the bike was high compared to the stock front settings and went back to 10 clicks. Next I'll tune the front to see if it evens out the balance between front and rear. I've been riding 39 psi in front and rear stock tires with 2300 miles on a 2015 N1K, but after reading this thread will lower the front to 36 psi. Thanks for a thread that's informative without being long winded.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
my s20 oe tires made it to 4700mi and i put on the angels. I love these tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I see this an old thread and probably covered somewhere already...

Looking for suspension setup recommendations for a Gen-2 (2019)

I am an honest 160 lbs with helmet, boots and gear, mostly commuting and hitting the on/off-ramp apexes, occasional Sunday ride that has become fewer and far between after grandkids born.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts