Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Have you thought of how your griping the bars and if your anchored solidly on the bike? Its possible If your being buffeted by the wind and transferring that to the bars through a strong grip

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'd still check and re-set the steering head bearing preload...

·
Registered
454 Posts
This sounds like the same thing I have been complaining of since I went to the larger rear tire with Roadsmart III tires

very slight front-end wobble under hard acceleration
more front-end wobble at speeds > 125

Dunlop sent me a new front tire and we replaced same - it has helped a little, but it still exists

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've had the same wobble on mine with two different sets of tires, OEM's and the Angel GT's (55 rear)... Checked the steering stem bearing preload and it was way loose to spec. It's much better now, Before I could induce it just by trying to wiggle the bars.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
118 Posts
<<snip >>

A damper is a great mod, and everyone should have one. They are awesome. Much better to be able to use them rather than to "need" them. Adding one now is a band aid over something else. Hundreds of these ninjas have made this change with no issues, so its better to find out whats up with yours.

I've not seen a steering damper for the N1K, are they available ?

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
You cant start diagnosing handling issues before setting suspension sag. Also, dont do much work if you have stock tires with a few thousand miles on them. It's somewhat pointless. The tires are bad, and do not last long enough to mess with.

Also, it's really hard to talk suspension without rider weight. I remember trying to help someone, on a PM, and finding out they were 6'7" and 335 lbs. He said his suspension was too hard and the bike was not stable.....probably true when your suspension is bottomed when you climb on..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Maintance

I decided to change my spark plugs. So now i am learning how to remove the fuel tank, and air box. I have never done this before. Got the tank and air box off finally. Next is the stick coils. Any tips I should know? Thx......

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
Mr sand, you are all set. That stuff you take apart is built so well, it falls back into place. I use just a tiny bit of that electrical grease on the stick coils. I'll wipe the left over I side of those boots you slide back on. Dont forget the plug on the back, left side of the airbox. The bike will throw a close when you forget to plug it back in.

Murph, gpr makes a nice damper for the ninja 1000. Like this:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gpr-v4-stabilizer-kawasaki-ninja-1000-2011-2015

Now, besides the safety factor, these dampers are one of the nicest things you'll ever bolt to your bike. I bought mine and had very little experience with them. I bought it because everyone said they are awesome, and that's about it.

My bike is light because of all the things I've done to it. It's not a heavy, stable touring machine by any means. When you turn the damper up, it is. It tracks as well, or better than my concours 14 with a stiff setting. If I were doing high speed runs or touring, it would be manditory.

You can also go down a typical, shitty, chopped up road and the damper makes it feel like its smooth, brand new pavement. It's one of those products that once you try it, you are hooked, and dont want to be without....no matter if your bike needs one, or not.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I wish they made a slide type one that would hide below under the fairings. I haven't really looked hard but I never liked the stem nut mounted ones. Plug I'd have no good place to mount my phone :p

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
I wish they made a slide type one that would hide below under the fairings. I haven't really looked hard but I never liked the stem nut mounted ones. Plug I'd have no good place to mount my phone :p
I dont care for the look, either. They dont look right mounted on the nut. At least the gpr is available in colors. You can choose a color that blends in . Not like the gold Scott's that I have that just sits there.

The problem with burying them is the adjustments. The aftermarket dampers have a massive adjustment range.
Although you could leave one set, in one position, it's just not something you'll want to do if its easily accessible. If I leave my house, I'll make it stiff for the freeway. As soon as I'm in the canyons, I'll back it off until I have the feel I'd like. If it's on the stem, I can do this as I ride. I would have to stop if I had to reach into the fairing.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts