Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone,

I bought a 2021 N1k at the beginning of may. On the drive home I noticed a surging sensation at highway speed. I thought it was only while using the cruise control but it is in any gear at lower rpm up around 3000-5000 rpm. Even doing 110 km/h in 6th gear. With or without the cruise control. Around town doing 50km/h in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear it does it

That’s the best way I can describe it. It doesn’t feel like a misfire. It feels like surging. Like the fuel system isn’t delivering fuel consistently. The throttle position is probably only open 10-20%. I would have to go start it and let it warm up but I think it does it at idle as well.

It currently only has about 580 kms on it. I just want to know if this is a normal finding or if I need the dealer to look at it when I get my first service at 1000kms. I don’t have much faith in the dealer either lol.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Hi

I have experienced the same issue have been told by the dealer that it is "normal" - did you get yours checked out?

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
113 Posts
Hi

I have experienced the same issue have been told by the dealer that it is "normal" - did you get yours checked out?
I wonder at what point a dealer's response of "that is normal" begins to equate to "lazy and not going to spend any amount of time looking into it"

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
347 Posts
I wonder at what point a dealer's response of "that is normal" begins to equate to "lazy and not going to spend any amount of time looking into it"
I have seldom ever met a dealer (motorcycle or cars) who is really interested in troubleshooting my vehicles like the way I do. There's simply no ownership of the problem and looks like there is not a lot of financial incentives for the dealers to do so either. In short, I seldom ever see passion in troubleshooting customers' vehicles.

I have one exception, though, and it was BMW Seattle after I bought one of their Certified Pre-owned (CPO) cars and there was clicking sound that kept coming out from the front suspension. The chased it down one layer at a time, replacing parts along the way as they dug into it and finally found it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi

I asked about it at my first service. The service manager basically shrugged his shoulder and said he didn’t know. He asked if the engine light was on I said no and he replied with we can’t diagnose it if there are no codes. But I wasn’t surprised with his response. The service has been awful there. I’ll never buy anything from there again.

It doesn’t seem to affect the performance of the bike. It is more prominent with cruise control on. I feel it’s a fuel metering issue when it’s trying to maintain a certain speed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
This type of thing happens because of emissions. You cant have euro 5 compliance, as well as meeting California air standards , and have a bike that runs perfectly. Pl g
This even happens with IVAN's Flash until the bike warms up...then good to go!! The flash made the bike so much smoother...

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
347 Posts
No sure if it's because the engine is fully broken in but my 1000SX at 2600 miles is no longer doing this anymore.
Don't recall observing this behavior lately.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I thought I felt the same when I took a demo bike out before buying an n1k. I was testing the cruise control at a steady 35mph. However, when I pulled the clutch, I had the same sensation. I think it's the way the stock suspension manages bumpier roads at low speeds.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts