Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I bought a 2021 N1k at the beginning of may. On the drive home I noticed a surging sensation at highway speed. I thought it was only while using the cruise control but it is in any gear at lower rpm up around 3000-5000 rpm. Even doing 110 km/h in 6th gear. With or without the cruise control. Around town doing 50km/h in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear it does it

That’s the best way I can describe it. It doesn’t feel like a misfire. It feels like surging. Like the fuel system isn’t delivering fuel consistently. The throttle position is probably only open 10-20%. I would have to go start it and let it warm up but I think it does it at idle as well.

It currently only has about 580 kms on it. I just want to know if this is a normal finding or if I need the dealer to look at it when I get my first service at 1000kms. I don’t have much faith in the dealer either lol.

Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey everyone,

I bought a 2021 N1k at the beginning of may. On the drive home I noticed a surging sensation at highway speed. I thought it was only while using the cruise control but it is in any gear at lower rpm up around 3000-5000 rpm. Even doing 110 km/h in 6th gear. With or without the cruise control. Around town doing 50km/h in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear it does it

That’s the best way I can describe it. It doesn’t feel like a misfire. It feels like surging. Like the fuel system isn’t delivering fuel consistently. The throttle position is probably only open 10-20%. I would have to go start it and let it warm up but I think it does it at idle as well.

It currently only has about 580 kms on it. I just want to know if this is a normal finding or if I need the dealer to look at it when I get my first service at 1000kms. I don’t have much faith in the dealer either lol.

Anyone else experiencing this?
I think I am. It seems very minimal, but I can feel it surging at low RPM. Wonder if there's a recall coming?

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
347 Posts
Interesting report.
I have had 3 rides on my new 2021 so far and I did not notice any surging when I'm holding the throttle steady.
No such behavior on my bike.
Sounds like your fuel system has some "dirt" or something that is lingering somewhere.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not normal, Have the shop check it out.
I had it at the dealer for its first service and was told if there is no code showing then there was no way they could do anything about it. It is very mild, almost one of these things where you think your imagining it lol I don't notice it as much now, maybe it is going away or maybe I am getting used to it.

The dealer I bought it from does very little sport bike work. I have little faith in them. my whole experience dealing with them from the very first day I called and wanted to order my bike to getting my first service last week hasn't been great. One screw up after another. At this point I wouldn't buy a pair of socks from them. The nearest Kawasaki dealer besides them is over 300 kms away. Oh well I guess it is what it is.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Here is what I found when searching for 'fuel injected engine surging'... fuel injection engine surging at idle - Google Search

On a new bike it is unlikely that parts are bad, but one can never tell especially if parts are marginal... or cable connections are not secure
Bad fuel can also cause problems (or so it says in some of the hits I found)

Maybe you can get some clues from this...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hmmm ... I think I understand what you are describing now.

I thought I felt the same thing on the road even at 45 MPH; there was a tiny amount of surge -> no-surge -> surge cycle, similar feeling like on a trotting horse but at a much smaller scale . I have never had this before on my Honda CBR1000RR.

When I left that particular road and moved on to a smoother road, that surge/non-surge feeling went away. It may be the road that is causing the bike to behave this way. It is a weird behavior, though, I must say.

I would suggest going on a really smooth road and ride steady to test this theory out.

·
Registered
179 Posts
What rpm are you at when doing 45mph in 6th gear?
RC, at one point, talked about an emissions related 'dead-spot' at around 2k RPM when the engine seems to want to pause...and then catch it's breath again... I've had this happen once when the bike was new and being broken in... Haven't noticed it since..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine seems to be doing it all the way up to about 5 grand.
If I hadn't come from a 2014 that had no hint of it, I'd probably never even feel this, it's that minor. I have about 2500Km on mine now and I can still feel it occasionally.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What rpm are you at when doing 45mph in 6th gear?
Don't recall the RPM but may be 3-3.5K at 5th gear.

RC, at one point, talked about an emissions related 'dead-spot' at around 2k RPM when the engine seems to want to pause...and then catch it's breath again... I've had this happen once when the bike was new and being broken in... Haven't noticed it since..
Who is RC ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm ... I think I understand what you are describing now.

I thought I felt the same thing on the road even at 45 MPH; there was a tiny amount of surge -> no-surge -> surge cycle, similar feeling like on a trotting horse but at a much smaller scale . I have never had this before on my Honda CBR1000RR.

When I left that particular road and moved on to a smoother road, that surge/non-surge feeling went away. It may be the road that is causing the bike to behave this way. It is a weird behavior, though, I must say.

I would suggest going on a really smooth road and ride steady to test this theory out.
yes I felt it the very first day doing 100 km/h (60 mph lol) but I have over 2000 kms on it now and I really don’t notice it anymore. Not sure if I’m just used to it or it’s gone. Ill have to pay attention next time I’m riding and see.

I never really felt anything was wrong or broken or an actual mechanical issue. more like it was a software or computer issue that affects fuel metering or something either way I will keep an eye on it.

Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine seems to be doing it all the way up to about 5 grand.
If I hadn't come from a 2014 that had no hint of it, I'd probably never even feel this, it's that minor. I have about 2500Km on mine now and I can still feel it occasionally.
it is very minor! I almost thought I was imagining it. But after a while I noticed it more. It was always at steady throttle and the throttle was only open enough to maintain my speed. Doing 40km/h or 60 km/h or 110km/h. The gear I was in didn’t seem to matter either. I had a few faster runs doing 140+ km/h and didn’t notice it. Prob because rpms were higher.
I mentioned in another post I think it’s going away because I don’t notice it much anymore.

Dave

·
Registered
179 Posts
it is very minor! I almost thought I was imagining it. But after a while I noticed it more. It was always at steady throttle and the throttle was only open enough to maintain my speed. Doing 40km/h or 60 km/h or 110km/h. The gear I was in didn’t seem to matter either. I had a few faster runs doing 140+ km/h and didn’t notice it. Prob because rpms were higher.
I mentioned in another post I think it’s going away because I don’t notice it much anymore.

Dave
So you are saying that you have this surging going on even when you have the throttle open steady beyond idle?

If that is the case, I'd guess that you might have a fueling issue (kinked fuel line) or a flaky fuel pump or some sort of air leak (which, beyond idle rpm should become a non-issue)

·
Registered
137 Posts
So you are saying that you have this surging going on even when you have the throttle open steady beyond idle?

If that is the case, I'd guess that you might have a fueling issue (kinked fuel line) or a flaky fuel pump or some sort of air leak (which, beyond idle rpm should become a non-issue)
If it was only one bike doing it, that might be the case, but lots of them? I suspect this is a software issue.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I went for a long ride today on my Ninja and I noticed that this trotting horse phenomenon has disappeared.
Not sure if it has to do with the break-in period.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
I went for a long ride today on my Ninja and I noticed that this trotting horse phenomenon has disappeared.
Not sure if it has to do with the break-in period.
Where did you go. I went up to Mazama for lunch today. Kinda warm right in town but very pleasant going over 20 and back.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Where did you go. I went up to Mazama for lunch today. Kinda warm right in town but very pleasant going over 20 and back.
I went from the Redmond area to Washington Pass and back. It was 345 miles. I agree with you, the weather was nice and it was cool on the west side of the Cascades. At the Pass, it was quite warm so we turned around.
My butt cannot handle the Ninja OEM seat when it is this long. I think OEM seat is fine for rides under 100 miles, or may be even 150.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts