Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today, Kawasaki Italia leaked this video teaser for a new Z-series machine with supercharger, thought to be a naked literbike.

wowZa

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
I remember someone making this picture , back when the h2 was released. I wonder if we will see something like this? It would also be cool if they downsized it...maybe 600cc and 125 hp.

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
A 130 hp and 70 tq 600 with real would streetable power close to our N1Ks I think..... would sale. The insurance savings (for some of us) would be worth trading in for a new bike IMO.

Reactions: RobertL

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No details yet, but expect a premium product with performance (and price!) to match.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
I dont thing were in a spot to view a 600, or 800cc bike as "premium", so that small idea probably doesn't work with "premium" in mind.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kawasaki lacks an entry in the highly competitive (and lucrative) open-class naked bike market, and they have lacked one for quite some time now. I think that's about to change, especially if they produce a highly effective backroad weapon.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Up until now, all of Kawasaki's supercharged motorcycles have been physically large machines. I'm curious to see if they can implement this technology in a more compact package.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I saw one foreign site speculating this to happen with the Z1000 SX, which is called Ninja 1000 here in the Americas. This could get interesting.

·
Registered
601 Posts
If they actually super charge a Z900 engine, then may as well use this for the Ninja 1000.

Having said that, supercharging a Z900 motor would be a big deal. Because it will require an all new engine with the supercharger drive coming from the crankshaft. I mean I don't think it's possible to just "re-engineer" the Z900 engine without significant cost....may as well start from scratch or maybe a sleeved H2 SX motor to bring its displacement down from 999cc.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All of the current supercharged Kawasakis are fully engineered integrations of this technology and I'd expect nothing different for this Z. Perhaps the motor will have some similarities to an existing mill (?) but a vastly different list of part numbers.

Another model possibility? A supercharged version of the Z900RS! There is no more beloved model at Akashi than the Z-1, and to push Z900RS performance towards contemporary super-naked levels seems entirely plausible. I'd love to see that, more than another bizarre implementation of origami styling.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Well exactly. When you have a vastly different list of parts, the price goes way up because you can no longer spread the cost across a long list of models. That's why the H2's are so expensive. It's not just a ZX10R motor with a gear drive for the super charger. OTOH, the Z900 is a Ninja 1000 motor fitted with sleeves to narrow down the bore. Minimal cost to do that.

I'm not being a naysayer I'd love to see it happen. Just saying it won't be a sub-$10k bike. It could possibly be an $16k bike 900cc Super Charged if it were to happen. I'm quite sure they need to put forged pistons, crankshaft, and a new block and that gear drive mechanism to the SC. Plus the SC.

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
They also know people are going to flash supercharged bikes, so durability has to be there. Theres already at least 2 h2sx that have blown up. They removed the threads on the forum to avoid warranty problems.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A sub-$10K supercharged Kawasaki will be available someday. It's previous owner will be a trailer park crankhead who redlined it every night and never checked valve clearances.

"Looks like new"

You betcha.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I can see them developing a 700,800,900cc supercharged engine for use in a number of bikes including a naked Z, a future SX and who knows what else, a powerful engine in that size range could be the way of the future for all kinds of different models,,.

Reactions: Rickifumi

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shared engine platforms can make excellent economic sense for manufacturers and owners alike.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The car guys are all doing it,,. The 12 & 10 cylinders are now 8's with turbos,,. The 8's are all 6's with twin turbos,,.
The 3.7 liter 6's are now 3 liter twin turbos and the 4's are becoming more and more plentiful and not just in entry level gas misers versions,,. Less material, less weight and more efficient with similar HP,,. Turbos don't work as well on a bike but Kawi must be happy with their blowers if they are adding another one?

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
I think the real money, now, for these companies is in side by sides...Google "honda tallon". Theres enough tech there for several new motorcycles in that machine.

As fun as the small idea sounds, this will be an h2sx with high bars. The euro 5 emissions idea makes sense, but Yamaha's 2020 r1 meets euro 5. They said it now has 5 cats.....kawasaki can do the same to the ninja 1000. Actually, the 2019 ninja 1000 wont need to meet those rules until Jan of 2021.

Lag, I like your thought. Can that be done for reasonable money? Maybe so?

1 - 20 of 126 Posts