Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not one, but 2 bolt holes, on the frame for securing fairings that are now stripped or semi-stripped. It's not urgent but I will have to fix this eventually.

Saw this on YouTube & I thought it was one way to fix it.

What are your thoughts on the best way to deal with this?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Heli coil type repair works well when there is plenty of metal around the damaged thread. It's good when you need to be able to maintain the same thread spec, in order to use the original fastener. This would be the case if the original fastener is one of those that has a shoulder on it. You likely will not find a replacement bolt with the exact same shoulder dimensions.

If OTOH, the original fastener is a standard straight screw/bolt, then you might be able to retap for the next size up fastener, say from M5 to M6. Simply drill out the boogered up old thread, then retap with the new larger threaded tap. Then go buy a new screw/bolt that's the right length and head type.

If you have access to the backside of the thread hole, then you might consider just drilling out the old thread, buy a longer bolt, and put a nyloc nut on the back.

Reactions: arthury

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have not one, but 2 bolt holes, on the frame for securing fairings that are now stripped or semi-stripped. It's not urgent but I will have to fix this eventually.

Saw this on YouTube & I thought it was one way to fix it.

What are your thoughts on the best way to deal with this?
As Volfy said, determining which is the 'best' way to deal with it depends on a couple of things, whether you need to have the same diameter hole in the end (to reuse the original type of fastener), how much material is left around the original hole, how deep the hole is (and how deeply it is damaged). Sometimes if just the outer couple threads are stripped or cross threaded, you can get by cleaning up the original threads.

Which of the mounting holes are stripped out? Do you have a picture?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts