Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many, I wasn't a fan of the way the Kawi seat pushed my equipment forward into gas tank. Comfort was lacking also. So, I sent my '14 seats to same guy who modded my FZ1 seats. Asked for contour change, lime green piping & extra pillion padding for passenger. His name is Eddie Copeland & I highly recommend his work!! All the other positives, quick turn around & secure shipment. My bony, flat *** is very happy. He can be reached at his email, [email protected]. Also less expensive than seat replacement from the aftermarket. I love carbon fiber so he covered mine in a fabric which looks like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
627 Posts
Seat

The workmanship looks outstanding..........maybe you could give the forum a
review after a couple of thousand miles of riding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Seat Upgrade

Eddie and I have known each other for 40 years. He modified and recovered more motorcycle seats and truck seats than I can remember. Excellent workmanship, reasonable price, if it can be done Eddie can do it. My '13 came with a Sargent seat and if it needs tweaking I'll have him do my Ninja seat. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you looked at Laam seats? I had mine done and haven't experienced any discomfort since. Longest ride day 485 miles and in six months I have amassed just over 19K. Only about 12K on the Lamm seat and man did my bum have some sore red painful areas for about a month after I got rid of the stock seat. If I was smart, I would have had the seat made before the first ride. Absolutely excellent workmanship and it just cups you in so perfectly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I may be going against the general consensus here, but I think the passenger seat looks horrid and do not like the way it looks on the bike! OK, I can see how it would be more comfortable but that is because it's about 4 times the thickness! The rider seat looks better, but it would be interesting to know how it compares to other after market; does anyone have experience of this and any others, especially the Kawi gel seat?

·
Registered
11,465 Posts
This is a tough situation, with the passenger seat. You can have either soemthing that looks nice (stock) or something that works. The gel passenger seat is not much of an upgrade vs stock. I think this one is much better.

Plus, if you buy the optional tail cover, you only need the passenger seat when your carryign a passenger. It stays in the garage most of the time.

·
Registered
11,465 Posts
Storage? You would think so until you see the bracket that holds the cowl on.

Serious, if anything there is less storage when its on.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't carry a passenger (my wife hasn't been on the back of a bike since I had a YZF that I traded in for a ZX-9R E1 in 2001!), but I do use a Cortech tailpack on a regular basis and with the stock seat it is rather secure in place. Not exactly in keeping with the theme of this thread, but it's my 5c worth!

·
Registered
11,465 Posts
Well that's disappointing; seems hardly worth the $200 then.
Yes, in function, its a looks only item. I'll bet its even heavier thna the seat.

The bracket that hold it on is amazing. It does nothing except hold the plastic cowl in place, and thats it.

Its strong enough to support saddelbags. Its heavy and complicated.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Reactions: mrsand

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Cool! If you don't mind, will you share an estimated total cost of materials? MSRP for a set of OEM gel seats is (holy cow) $324.95....

Also, what was your source for the gel? Thanks man!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Reactions: sprockethead

·
Registered
93 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: sprockethead
1 - 20 of 22 Posts