Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, has anyone mounted a steering damper on the new 2020 model ninja1000sx?
I have looked for type gpr and sccot but I cannot find anything, and if I have mounted it, you can provide me with the reference of the steering damper.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Glad you posted about it. I think it needs one also.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
The aftermarket dampers are nothing like an oem damper. You can lock them down to where the wheel if very difficult to move. A small bike, like this ninja, feels like a concours 14 when you do that. Nice for top speed checks.

You can turn them down to almost nothing, if you want to, but the areas in between work really well on chopped up roads. I bought one just to try one, and it's been one of the best pieces I bought for my bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For what it’s worth, I have had my 2020 1000sx up to 135mph on the track and I didn’t feel any instability or need for a steering dampener.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
Most modern bikes really dont NEED one. It does do a few things. Many tracks wont let you ride without one. Especially as you get into the more advanced stuff. Even at that, the crap ones that dont have much adjustment will get you by.

If I were selling them, I would set up two identical bikes. One with, one without. If people rode and compared each bike, I would be taking orders from anyone who had the money to buy them.

Once you ride with one, it's feels more like something was left off the bike rather than something you added on. Cost would be the only reason to not have one as they dont do anything wrong. I should sell them. It would be one product you could sell to any street rider and not feel like you screwed them, or that they wouldn't like it. I'm pretty sure you could offer a 100% money back sort of thing and never get one back.

·
Registered
302 Posts
For what it’s worth, I have had my 2020 1000sx up to 135mph on the track and I didn’t feel any instability or need for a steering dampener.
I’ve had my bike faster than that with no problems. And I don’t fear an accident without one. But where they payoff is if you are on certain types of “wavy” pavement in a fast curve where things just feel a little j settled. A curve I ride multiple times a week is like that.

To repeat, I don’t think the bike is unsafe, I just think it could stand some improvement. Unfortunately, I’m not going to pay $500+ for one.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Like others have said above, if you ride aggressive in the twisties or you ride fast on undulating roads with less-than-perfect surface level, you are bound to, one day or the other, feel the need for a damper. This bike is a sporty tourer and the frame has some flex built into it to allow for comfort. It’s not a stiff frame. You will get head shakes and worse when you are gunning the bike hard even through perfectly paved curves. A steering damper is like insurance, you never really want it but you really do need it. Like insurance, once you have it, you will never go off it. Aftermarket dampers have an amazing range of adjustments so you can set it perfectly for the given road condition and your riding mindset of the day. And yes, as RC said, it gives you the big bike planted, secure feeling. Go for it.

Reactions: Murphyau

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much for your answers, I have decided that if I would like to mount one on my motorcycle, but in the European market (I am Spanish) they do not sell the 19/20 gpr model, and I am not able to find an adapter for my motorcycle to put One universal type Ohnis, does anyone know of a manufacturer or model that can mount on my motorcycle? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
Do you really think the company would do that? They make a damper kit, for that specific bike, but will not make it available to Spanish people who live in Europe? With this in mind, I dont know what to suggest other than to slow down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello, I think that no one who buys a motorcycle that has 142cv, I buy it with the intention of going slowly jajajaj
and if the model for 2020 is not on the gpr page for Europe, I attach a photo, however in the usa it appears but they do not send to Spain, I see myself in a want and I can't

·
Registered
683 Posts
Here you go, one of the the best dampers on the market, the HyperPro RSC (damping effect adjustable with 22 clicks) with mounting kit. I have the same damper and I bought it from the same vendor. The link is for the 2020 Ninja 1000.

·
Registered
592 Posts
IMO too many riders see steering dampers on 600cc and 1000cc race replicas and think it's a performance "upgrade" for their road bikes . More often than not, adding one does no harm, but do they really need one?

Race replicas have them primarily because their steering geometries are typically more aggressive to aide in steering response. Upon corner entry under heavy braking, the rake angle could steepen and trail reduce to a point of causing the front end to lose stability. So to guard against tank slapping under those conditions, a steering damper is a excellent tool. Still, it is typically tuned to come into effect ONLY at high slew rates (when the front end begins to oscillate), but otherwise has little to no effect under normal riding conditions. You certainly don't want steering response to suffer when you are cutting through tight chicanes.

N1k's 24.5°/4.0 in are actually between ZX14R's 23°/3.7 in and ZX10R's 25°/4.2 in. Wait a minute?! The ZX14R (no stock steering damper) is actually more aggressive than the ZX10R (stock steering damper). How can that be?! Well, the answer lies in the ZX14R's longer wheel base (58.3" vs. 56.7") and lower center of gravity, compared to the ZX10R, so the front end geometry steepens less and so tends not to lose stability as readily under heavy braking.

FWIW, the ZX10R does have a reputation as being not as sharp at the track compared to its rivals. I think its more relaxed front end geometry certain plays a part in it. Dunno why Kawi decided on that. My guess is that the street version probably doesn't really need a steering damper. Not when you compare to Daytona 675R's 22.9°/3.4 in and 54.1 in WB. But... every potential buyer will cry foul if there isn't one front and center. ;)

So... does the N1k need a steering damper? For the vast majority of riders? No. I certainly don't see a need for one. Are there benefits to having one on the N1k? Perhaps. However, I would set it like I mention above - come into effect ONLY at high slew rates, per its primary intent. The N1k is already a bit of a pig with tip-in and side-to-side transition, I wouldn't want an over-damped steering to make it any slower.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
Actually, weight on the front end makes a motorcycle less likely to shake its head. The problem is when there is a lack of weight. Typically under acceleration. Under braking is fork tuning issue. If a person buys a damper to fix that, it's a band aid on a real issue, and a poor understanding of motorcycle chassis dynamics.

Steep geometry can cause this, but plenty of people died on the old choppers that were popular in the 70's, too. They would shake so hard that their front wheels would break apart. If you guys are old enough to remember the country singer, Buck Owns. One of his band members, Don Rich, died on his chopper from an incident like this. A big, heavy guy, poor geometry, and a heavy *** , cast front wheel. If you ever survive a good one, you would be surprised at how cheap a 650.00 damper really is.

I went to the ridiculous level to get the mount kit for a Scott's damper. I dont believe there are more than 5 of the mount kits, in the usa, for a Scott's damper/ninja 1000 combination. A few of us had them custom made, in Taiwan.

The feeling of having it be too strong just doesnt happen. You have full control over a good damper, and a motorcycles bars turn very little in most turns where you want a damper.

The Scott's has a range adjustment so you dont have to have it active throughout the entire range that the bars will turn. They call it sweep control . In real life testing, you rarely break out of the 34 degree setting. For most bikes, its bot a big deal. But, when you start to add 190/55 tires, saddlebags, passengers, tail trunks, that's when you start chomping into that "safe zone"

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with RCannon on this...I have a 2019 and added a GPR Stabilizer, and while it may be need versus want, I am glad I added it to my bike. It also made me think about some of the tire threads I read and posted to...my bike is very stable and tossible, but as a caveat, I have always had bigger bikes I guess, I bought a GSXR-750 as my first bike and learned to throw that around, but I have no problem throwing the NK1 around, and it does wander a bit in the corners, but it goes where I point it if that makes sense. Not sure how much the damper is part of that equation. Anyway...I do like the ability to adjust the damper.

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
Cj, after spending years with mine I feel like the damper really is a part that should be on every motorcycle. They dont include them to save money.

Also, theres no way you could ever make an oem damper as stiff as we can with ours. People would hit things and blame the damper. If you didnt know better, like someone on a jury, or someone cutting and pasting damper talk, it sounds reasonable and would cost them a lot of money when they lost these cases.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, new guy here. Had my 20 for 3k miles. About 3-4 months I think. Was looking and thought, why not join? Anyway been 130s, 40s, 150 two or three times and 155 this morning, on a kind of ok highway. There's a reason I'm looking at dampers. It doesn't feel dangerous or anything, but you get that little ghost feedback that's just a little unnerving. I thought about the difference between a damper and the alternative aaaand...here I am. I seem to really notice when I pass and have it leaned just a bit hitting the seams in the road. Not bad, but enough to get my attention. Idc how much it is, what is everyone's go to brand? Is there a specific model that's better etc? Any suggestions on instal, or settings? Thanks for any advice, and for having me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hola a todos, al final he podido encontrar un distribuidor en Europa, concretamente en Francia que pueda suplirme el shock que quería, un gpr para la ninja 1000 sx 2020, he optado por este por la estética y la coleccion que se queda en manillar, en unas semanas llegará, subiré algunas fotos para que vean el montaje y como queda, gracias por sus respuestas me han ayudado mucho, saludos y gas
Pd Para los interesados, repn1k, esta es la referencia del artículo.
SKU: 5011-4137 and this is its page

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello everyone, in the end I have been able to find a distributor in Europe, specifically in France that can supply me with the shock I wanted, a gpr for the ninja 1000 sx 2020, I have opted for this one for the aesthetics and the collection that remains on the handlebar, In a few weeks it will arrive, I will upload some photos so that you can see the assembly and how it looks, thanks for your answers they have helped me a lot, greetings and gas
Pd For those interested, repn1k, this is the reference of the article.
SKU: 5011-4137 and this is its page Find all GPR products that fit your bike - GPR Stabilizer

1 - 20 of 20 Posts