Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been debating if I should upgrademy rubber brake lines to steel. Has anyone considered this mod? It's not a necessary mod, but I think all you can improve on your brakes and tires is not overkill, might not ever need it but it is mostly for my peace of mind...

What are your thoughts???

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you want it and have the money to spend I say go for it. Personally I wouldn't change the brake lines. It just doesn't seem necessary. i would rather spend my money on something that I would notice more about the bike. Like changing the exhaust, doing a tidy tail, changing rims. Something you can see, or something that improves the performance of the bike more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just purchased a front rim. The previous owner bent th crap out of it.
Tail tidy: check
Exhaust: check
Rim: check

For some reason I'm always concerned about a rock flying and hitting my brake lines!!! Chance of that happening, very very very slim, but still concerns me!!

Anyone has changed the stock sprockets?? I've heard some people go to a 16 front sprocket.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
If your bike is new, and the lines are in good shape, the improvement is minimal. The best benefit in a proper brake bleed and new fluid. You cna do this with old lines.

Most of the improvement people feel is due to this, not due to the line material. The lines are better, obviously, but its not especially worth the cost.

Actually, on a Ninja or z 1000, you'll get way more benefit from good brake pads. Steel lines, and the stock pads, still equal a big bowl of ok.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Its a relatively cheap modification and it improves brake feel. Its debatable if it really makes you stop shorter but it sure feels like you are stopping faster.

Just make sure you get good quality steel lines

In the auto industry there are always debates of steel lines vs rubber lines in terms of durability.

There is a good article on this topic on NSX Prime.

Brake Lines - NSX-Wiki

Personally I replace my steel brake lines every 2-3 seasons.

·
Registered
120 Posts
your brakes will be firmer. OEM rubber lines leave you with a spongy feeling. as was said above its a cheap and effective mod. Also I would recommend swapping to a higher temperature brake fluid, especially if you plan on tracking your N1K, the fluid wont boil until a higher temperature reducing your brake fade.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What do you guys think about cross drilled brake lines?
How much better would they be over the OEM lines?

:D

Ha, you almost got me there. I wonder if you could find some sucker to pay mad dollaz for some of those. You may be chased down by the police later, but it would be fun while it lasted.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ha, you almost got me there. I wonder if you could find some sucker to pay mad dollaz for some of those. You may be chased down by the police later, but it would be fun while it lasted.
Thats not good.
Cross-drilled brake lines....i wouldn't for a second take that seriously, seriously.
Just imagine brake fluid pouring out all those holes haha

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
If you take time to bleed the stokc lines, they feel just fine. You wont notice much of a difference, if any, between the two materials. I did it to my bike since I got the steel braid lines for cheap, but its not worth paying full price for.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you take time to bleed the stokc lines, they feel just fine. You wont notice much of a difference, if any, between the two materials. I did it to my bike since I got the steel braid lines for cheap, but its not worth paying full price for.
agreed. bleeding often is important.

the steel brake lines do add some feel but only under hard braking. in regular scenarios rubber lines are perfectly adequate and likely last longer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts