Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my K3 a few days ago. I always try to make accessories look like they are part of the bike. It took me a few hours to figure out an acceptable (to me) solution for the front camera. A rubber grommet and a few inches of 3/4 x 1/8 aluminum stock worked well. Had to be sure the camera would clear the headlight housing when reinstalling the cowling since you have to push it back then up a bit. It was a close fit. The hard part is out of the way and the rest should be downhill.

PXL_20210716_011526909.jpg PXL_20210716_010615032.jpg PXL_20210716_011108967.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Very nicely done. Looks like a factory installed option.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Superbly thought out install. Love the rubber grommet acting as a built-in dampener.

Have you done the rear cam yet?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. First thing I did was price a replacement cowling piece before I started cutting. Wanted to know if I messed it up just how expensive a mistake would be. :oops: It would only be $55 to my door. I did a similar install on my F6B. That Goldwing tupperware can get real expensive.

To see if the front cam was feasible, I cut a piece of 1" PVC to length at the same angle as the cowling. I attached it to the back of the cowling with double-face tape then slid the cowling back on. Then I inspected the interior fit with a borescope. All worked out.

Haven't looked at the rear cam yet. I'll post up when I get that figured out.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I had an older version of their camera. I needed service. Good luck with that. I gave up and trashed it after too many attempts. I now work with companies that actually want to help their consumers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Picked up my K3 a few days ago. I always try to make accessories look like they are part of the bike. It took me a few hours to figure out an acceptable (to me) solution for the front camera. A rubber grommet and a few inches of 3/4 x 1/8 aluminum stock worked well. Had to be sure the camera would clear the headlight housing when reinstalling the cowling since you have to push it back then up a bit. It was a close fit. The hard part is out of the way and the rest should be downhill.

View attachment 31750 View attachment 31752 View attachment 31753
Can’t wait to see a video! Nice job. Bravo !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had an older version of their camera. I needed service. Good luck with that. I gave up and trashed it after too many attempts. I now work with companies that actually want to help their consumers.
Sorry you had a bad experience with them. I had an older version K2 on my F6B. Did a lot of research before I pulled the trigger on it. After reading through the support blogs, it appeared most hiccups on the DVR were caused by bike startup voltage on the 5V power supply. I took the preventative measure of adding a time delay relay in front of the 5V power supply. It was set for 10 seconds. So the camera wouldn't power up until the bike was running for 10 seconds eliminating any potential startup surge. I ran that K2 for over 4 years with no issues at all. I'll be adding a relay to this installation also.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I had a defective camera lens after a good time of use. All I wanted was to buy another. No response after many, many attempts. Basically a screw you without saying so. All they needed to say was they no longer have them, if that was the issue. If that's a representation of their service then I'll find someone else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah. I understand the frustration. Customer service is so bad with so many companies these days. It's always a crap shoot. Certainly can't blame you for black listing them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts