Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 15 has a 190/55 rear, 16t front and 39t rear sprocket. The indicated speed is 2mph faster than the gps speed.

According to gearing commander going to a 40t rear would put it dead equal to the gps. I had it changed out today to a 40 and it's showing the same 2mph difference vs the gps. Any ideas?

It's not a big deal but I kind of ocd about some things. I'd really like the display as accurate as possible. I still have the original 41t rear sprocket.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Is that 2 mph throughout the range of speeds, or just at highway speed?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Throughout the entire range. It actually seems a little closer to 3mph with tbe 40t.

·
Premium Member
3,631 Posts
2 mph off at what speed?
You'll get 2mph difference between a new tire and one ready to be changed around 70ish.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Throught the entire range. From off the line to around 75 or so. The tires are Pirelli Angel GTs with less than 3k miles. They have alot of life left.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I haven't tested my N1K, but on previous bikes like my ZX14r it is always off more the higher the speed, for example 2mph fast at 60 mph and 5 mph fast at 185. I was just wondering about it. Fortunately I'm not ocd over the speedometer error, but it doesn't seem right when you change sprocket teeth and it makes no difference.

·
Registered
877 Posts
So my 15 has a 190/55 rear, 16t front and 39t rear sprocket. The indicated speed is 2mph faster than the gps speed.
On the '14 & newer Ninja's sprocket gearing makes absolutely no difference in the speedo indication. It takes the speed off the rear ABS ring. A /55 rear tire changes the speed by 3.1%. On my '14 the /55 tire brought the speedo to within 2 mph but it was still reading high compared to my GPS. It was a pretty constant 2mph off up to ~80 or so.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the '14 & newer Ninja's sprocket gearing makes absolutely no difference in the speedo indication. It takes the speed off the rear ABS ring. A /55 rear tire changes the speed by 3.1%. On my '14 the /55 tire brought the speedo to within 2 mph but it was still reading high compared to my GPS. It was a pretty constant 2mph off up to ~80 or so.
Ok that explains it then. I can do simple math on the fly. Thanks

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't tested my N1K, but on previous bikes like my ZX14r it is always off more the higher the speed, for example 2mph fast at 60 mph and 5 mph fast at 185. I was just wondering about it. Fortunately I'm not ocd over the speedometer error, but it doesn't seem right when you change sprocket teeth and it makes no difference.
I've had mine up to 125 indicated on the speedo today but it was before the sprocket change and I didn't have the gps on so wouldn't know how far off it was. I have checked it up to 90mph or so and it was a consistent 2mph off. I do ocd but it's not a huge deal.

Reactions: Eagle Six

·
Registered
145 Posts
It’s kind of strange that all of our bikes over all years seem to be off about the same. Is it that hard to have the factory get this better tuned in?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Read that some bikes get their speeds from the transmission whereas our uses the ABS ring as Kenors stated. Those that get their speed from the transmission can be easily fixed with a speedo healer or altered with gearing changes. Ours not so much. The article did say tire size does effect the speedo though.

·
Premium Member
3,631 Posts
Throught the entire range. From off the line to around 75 or so. The tires are Pirelli Angel GTs with less than 3k miles. They have alot of life left.
The only other thing you can do is step up to a 200 55. You'll find it almost dead on.

·
Registered
923 Posts
It’s kind of strange that all of our bikes over all years seem to be off about the same. Is it that hard to have the factory get this better tuned in?
European law requires that a speedometer never display a speed lower than actually traveled. With variables like tire diameter been manufacturers, tire wear, inflation, etc. all vehicles I've checked display a safety margin. I haven't heard of other countries having such a law, but regardless it just makes sense. How pissed would you be getting a ticket thinking you were going the speed limit?

·
Registered
145 Posts
How is that different from a car? If you put different tire size from factory, then your speedometer is usually off. And that is by your choice, as you chose different tires. All I'm asking is why does it seem that at factory specs, the speedometer is off on all our bikes? I would think they'd be a little closer to actual, but no biggie. I just know how much mine is off, and do the math in my head. I guess if you forget, it does keep you on the safer side of the radar man.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree goatdriver. A 10% variance is fairly large at 70 or 80. If they'd come accurate from the factory and you choose to add a different size tire that would be on the operator not the manufacturer.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Older, none ABS Ninja's uses the primary sprocket bolt to read the speed. The newer ones uses the ABS rings. So no gearing changes will make a difference in speedometer accuracy. Only tire circumference. will make a difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts