Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came off the Ninja 400 thread and I didn't want to usurp the thread so I'm starting a new one. I've quoted the original note from LSX_Cherokee.

A week ago a short afternoon ride ran a little longer and farther than expected. I left the house around 4:00 pm for a ride around town and returned around 3:15 am logging a little over 320 miles. I don’t think I have been to Galveston Island since Hurricane Ike. This picture really captures the mood of the night for me.
You have the fever my son, you're almost a Jedi!

This reminded me so much of an episode early in my life. I'd bought a 1987 VFR700 and was planning to tour on it so I'd welded up a rack/sissy bar to hold soft luggage and strap a tent/sleeping bag to. I wanted to test it out but it was a cloudy drizzly day. It cleared a bit in the afternoon so I took off on a short jaunt up and down a few local roads but...next thing I knew it was getting dark and I was 300 miles from home so I grabbed some junk food at a gas station and headed for Nicola Lake campground near Merritt, BC. I still think about sitting beside the campfire looking at the stars and the white VFR in the moonlight. Falling asleep warm and dry as a rainstorm blew by was icing on the cake. I have planned and executed a lot of trips before and since but that spontaneous outing still stands out.

The next day was beautiful and sunny and it somehow took >500 miles to get home.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
214 Posts
Cool story Ken!
My story is not memorable from a good point, but from a "I will never do that again". It was probably the fall of 1997 in So Cal and I had been riding my 1985 Magna VF700 for about a year. The neighbor I purchased it from called me and asked if I wanted to join him for a short ride. I was excited and went along.

The short ride ended up being through Joshua tree on an unfaired bike and I was wearing thin gloves, half helmet, jean jacket, jeans and some ankle level boots. I don't know the exact temperature but I still remember how cold I was.

A lot has changed since that time and I know to always ask more details but most of all, read the weather report and always be prepared!!!

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
ahh, the one I remember... the one that got away....not really

a few years ago this women I met on the local hikers club meet up rode as well and PM'd one day me to aske if I wanted to ride up in the mountains then park, shed our gear, and go for a hike.. she was cute, I was like definitley.... ah, it was a lovely ride, espeically since I was certain to get laid in the woods... why else would she have asked?

Well, about half way in this trail that went in deep and had very few pople scattered about, she decides to start complaining about life.. .about why little trips like this are necessary for her right now... First the job thing... okay, that all women ***** about... then it came... oh it came.... "me and my girlfriend have been at eachother's throats for months now..." Uh, girlfriend? "we've been living together for over a year and were talking about marriage until recently...' and so it went....

Upon hearing that about 17,000 of my sperm cells immediately commited suicide and my boys crawled back inot my body for a week and stayed there shaking... WHat a momumental let down! A great spur of the moment ride, great hike, cute chick who rides and hikes and wants to be alone in the woods with me (doubted her sanity) all to come to find out she's a full-time beaver trapper who needed a pal to vent on. F*ck me! Not.

Well, that was my best spur of the moment sponaneous ride up until about half way in.... but hey still a good ride and made a "good" freind, even though I contemplated jumping off a cliff while she was yapping about "her." If there is a God he (actually I'm thinking he's a she at this point) was laughing his *** off.

From now on I'm checking if there are unwanted parts, and orientation, BEFORE I am stuck alone with a women!!! :mad:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Rock haha. It was on a different forum that I noted that the majority of women who ride are lesbians. I caught some heat for that statement, yet the few chicks on the forum came forward and waved their rainbow flags. Don't be fooled if they are hot or pretty.

That said I don't really care, I just know what to expect. Over the years I made a few friends with boobs who happen to ride, and they are really just cooldudes who are fun to ride with, hang out and talk shop. Heck I even joke with them, "you're pretty hot, let me know if you decide you like dick, ok?" Hahah.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Im in my service truck, headed home from Elko Nevada. Friday night. Truck had a blowout about 65 miles from home. I pull off and change tire. No problem and I drive home. We fly to Los Angeles, Monday morning, so Im looking forward to a vacation.

Theres the driveway. Its about 830pm ...****.... my wallet is missing. I know where it is. It fell out as I changed the tire..probably. This is right at the edge of our salt flats. I have to find it find it, or I cant get on the plane. I grabbed 40.00, in cash, and hit the gas station and filled up the c14. I jump on I 80, and pinned the throttle.

About 40 miles out, I realize im not going to make it to the next gas station because the fuel mileage, at 130-140, is not very good. I slowed down to 90 as the fuel light glowed. I was only about 25 minutes away, but the bike took 4.5 gallons. A few minutes after fill up, I see my blown tire and a cop sitting there waiting for speeders. I told him what I was doing and he used his light to scan the area....no wallet, Im fucked. At that point I remember opening my truck door, about half a mile from this turn off, when the tire exploded. It felt like forever, but I eventually see this black square, laying there, beside the road. My fucking wallet.

At this point, I realize how fun this ride was. I could drive home like a normal human, or I could beat the time that I just set. about 20 minutes from the gas station to my houses exit, 50 miles away. So i did.

This was all before Ivans flash. I need to see if I can make this in under 20 minutes. Nothing about it was really unsafe, other than the whole idea. The road was not crowded and the semi trucks helped me do it. As I pulled along side, they gave me thumbs up and turned their brights on.,

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Rock haha. It was on a different forum that I noted that the majority of women who ride are lesbians. I caught some heat for that statement, yet the few chicks on the forum came forward and waved their rainbow flags. Don't be fooled if they are hot or pretty.

That said I don't really care, I just know what to expect. Over the years I made a few friends with boobs who happen to ride, and they are really just cooldudes who are fun to ride with, hang out and talk shop. Heck I even joke with them, "you're pretty hot, let me know if you decide you like dick, ok?" Hahah.
Yeah, Zaph I concur. A good riding buddy is a good riding buddy... Just don't get your hopes up :grin:

·
Registered
151 Posts
IHearyou

ahh, the one I remember... the one that got away....not really

a few years ago this women I met on the local hikers club meet up rode as well and PM'd one day me to aske if I wanted to ride up in the mountains then park, shed our gear, and go for a hike.. she was cute, I was like definitley.... ah, it was a lovely ride, espeically since I was certain to get laid in the woods... why else would she have asked?

Well, about half way in this trail that went in deep and had very few pople scattered about, she decides to start complaining about life.. .about why little trips like this are necessary for her right now... First the job thing... okay, that all women ***** about... then it came... oh it came.... "me and my girlfriend have been at eachother's throats for months now..." Uh, girlfriend? "we've been living together for over a year and were talking about marriage until recently...' and so it went....

Upon hearing that about 17,000 of my sperm cells immediately commited suicide and my boys crawled back inot my body for a week and stayed there shaking... WHat a momumental let down! A great spur of the moment ride, great hike, cute chick who rides and hikes and wants to be alone in the woods with me (doubted her sanity) all to come to find out she's a full-time beaver trapper who needed a pal to vent on. F*ck me! Not.

Well, that was my best spur of the moment sponaneous ride up until about half way in.... but hey still a good ride and made a "good" freind, even though I contemplated jumping off a cliff while she was yapping about "her." If there is a God he (actually I'm thinking he's a she at this point) was laughing his *** off.

From now on I'm checking if there are unwanted parts, and orientation, BEFORE I am stuck alone with a women!!! :mad:

Thanks for sharing. That was a unusual event wasn't it. I rather share a event where the guy gets the girl.and she likes it. But thats a cool story anyway bro..

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Sorry, that story didn't have a happy ending, no pun intended. But it was my most memorable spur of the moment ride.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The last spontaneous long distance road trip I took was back in 2014 when I was living in Saint Paul, Minnesota. I literally had nothing to do one Saturday and so I looked at a map, checked the weather forecast, made a decision, and off I went.

As usual, I have nothing but good things to say about Canada and its people. Excluding Edmonton and Calgary, I've been to every major Canadian city and these two are on my list of where I will go next.

The first pic is my crossing the border and the second is downtown Winnipeg.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Can you try to cross the border now and let us know what happens? :devil:
Nice pics.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really like riding in Canada but mostly not cities. My riding is mostly the western quarter (BC, AB, YT) with a circumnavigation of Lake Superior and shot across to NY years ago. I haven't missed at least one trip to Canada every year since 1985.

I doubt the claim it was for my mental health would get me through the border, though... :(

Reactions: Rock
1 - 12 of 12 Posts