Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a week ago I sent off my seat to Spencers Moto seats (Page 1)

The whole process was excellent, Spencer was quick to respond to email and explain the whole process. I sent the seat out on a Tuesday, it arrived on Thursday and was back out to me same day.. I got the seat back on Monday (Fedex 2 Day) so if you use fast service he may be able to turn it in a week...

My Seat looks nearly identical to stock, but you can tell the padding definitely has changed. I had the Touring mod done with SupraCor and I have ridden about 50 miles on it so far..

Thoughts:

Way better then stock.. Seat doesn't feel like it bottoms out and the molding keeps you more in the middle then it does towards the tank.

After 30 minutes I didn't even shift once and i'm still breaking the material in.. It will only get better but so far, awesome..

Overall I grade the process an A .. Great Fast service, low price, huge upgrade without breaking the bank, preserves stock look.

Give him a shout if you want the mod.. WHole cost about 90$ with the shipping back / forth included.

C

·
Registered
456 Posts
My Seat looks nearly identical to stock, but you can tell the padding definitely has changed. I had the Touring mod done with SupraCor and I have ridden about 50 miles on it so far.. >>>

Let us know again when you have had a 200+ mile day. I bought a Sargent (which is a big improvement) but 250 miles in a day with lunch, and a morning and afternoon break, pushes my comfort limit. P.S. I'm a septuagenarian.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Seat looks nearly identical to stock, but you can tell the padding definitely has changed. I had the Touring mod done with SupraCor and I have ridden about 50 miles on it so far.. >>>

Let us know again when you have had a 200+ mile day. I bought a Sargent (which is a big improvement) but 250 miles in a day with lunch, and a morning and afternoon break, pushes my comfort limit. P.S. I'm a septuagenarian.
Will Do.. This weekend probably.. But old seat after 30-40 miles I was squirming a bit to find the right spot.. This one.. Didn't even squirm once..

·
Registered
828 Posts
One suggestion I'd have for anyone who is getting their seat custom done, have them round the edges where it meets your butt and rolls down to the side. Alleviating that sharp edge really helped with my seat.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One suggestion I'd have for anyone who is getting their seat custom done, have them round the edges where it meets your butt and rolls down to the side. Alleviating that sharp edge really helped with my seat.
This is where the mod is great.. The Supracor doesnt have that edge... The stuff is fantastic..

90 bucks.. A steal for this upgrade..

·
Registered
951 Posts
Now I am confused. Does he work on the seats or not?:confused:

·
Registered
270 Posts
He got new material that is better and yes he does now.(Supracor)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now I am confused. Does he work on the seats or not?:confused:
Mark what is confusing? Spencers Mod takes the original seat and upgrades it with Supracor (http://www.supracor.com/) replacing the stock crappy foam..

It eliminates the edges and is way more comfortable.. He uses the stock seatcover to recover the seat when done and ships it back.. All for (in my case) 90$..

The gel seats run you 200+, Corbin seats (Which have mixed reviews) will be 400+ and Sargent seats which do great work will be 400+..

Best bang for buck IMO...

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had two, (yes two) Corbin in my Ninja 650R, they sucked (well pushed ) so hard to the seat that was dangerous. Seriously. Yes comfy but safety first, I used a anti-slip cloth on top of it.
So now the N1K saddle is on his way (Spencer's).
Please hold your orders until mine is done.... LOL

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had two, (yes two) Corbin in my Ninja 650R, they sucked (well pushed ) so hard to the seat that was dangerous. Seriously. Yes comfy but safety first, I used a anti-slip cloth on top of it.
So now the N1K saddle is on his way (Spencer's).
Please hold your orders until mine is done.... LOL
lol..

He's a good guy.. Good luck.. I think you will love it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok 300+ miles on the seat now..

The seat is getting more and more comfy, I suspect the break in process is coming to a close..

Nothing but rave reviews here..

Let me clear up some things for folks ;

Q - Does this turn the seat into a touring seat.

A - NO.. You need a completely restructured seat for that and it will cost ya.

Q - Is there gel in the seat and will it alter the seat and the cover.

A - No, Slightly, No. During the process Spence will ask you for pics and also ask you where you like to sit on the bike.. All this may factor into the inserts.. As for Gel.. He uses SupraCor - a much more comfy padding that conforms to the user.. (They use it in fighter jets, and those guys sit for 10 hours)..

Q - Will this lower the height/Raise the height -

A - Spencer asks if you need it lower but I believe if you go lower it lowers the overall padding insert.

Q - Will this make my *** not hurt?

A - It will cut down on the asspain thats for sure -but outside of a full on mod seat (For big $) its not going to cure ironbutt issues.

Q - How much does this cost?

A - I paid about 90 including shipping both ways.. Can be lower depending on where you live and speed of shipping/service..

Q - Why not get the stock gel? Or Sargent or Corbin?

A - Well first of all the cost.. The Gel is a stock seat with a gel insert, and the price is literally 3 of these mods. The Sargent and Corbin are total seat mods, and may be more comfy overall, but for me the cost is huge.. I figured id try this first and see.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Dang, Cerwin, that sounds like a **** of a deal. I may have to look into this further.

Reactions: Cerwindel

·
Registered
270 Posts
Miles update?
Mine is taking longer than expected (issue with the label), ended up shipping via ground ..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Miles update?
Mine is taking longer than expected (issue with the label), ended up shipping via ground ..
About 400 now.. Been under the weather so not much riding. Seat gets more and more comfy every ride..

It needs about 2 maybe 3 tanks of riding before it gets just right.. Won't seem all that diff right off the bat because the material has to break in.. Its worlds different now..

Still not a touring seat... But a 2-3 hour seat it is for sure!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ok received it.
Because of a label issue took more than a week to arrive...

It feels good. rode for a while and no pain at all.
I can feel the surface being a bit flatter. or maybe "contoured" when you are seating on it... (while it still looks stock)

The best improvement is that when you brake hard, you stay in place and don't roll forward towards the tank.
I also feel is lower, but not sure, as I was riding with a different seat (DIY) and plus I'm more used to the bike now.

For the money, I think is very good investment.
If it gets better with more miles, then I really think you don't need to buy an expensive seat.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Next mod, change the seat cover wrapping with green Alcantara!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Update:
So the outcome of my long ride, about 3 hours ride (and smaller ones) is that I no longer feel pain... (i used to get pain after 10-20 minutes on the stock seat)

Also, no longer I get pushed to the tank while breaking, which was my complain about the stock seat and the worst thing on the Corbin on my previous bike (so bad that I needed an anti-slip mat on it).

The seat is perfect.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Sounds interesting. Does he increase seat height if you want?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts