Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Route: The Cascade Loop
Distance: around 436 miles
Duration: Took me around 12 hours
-----------------------------------------------
This is probably one of the more famous routes in WA state and the first half of it covers (probably) the longest Butler Map Grade1 route, which is most of SR-20. In fact, Butler Map said that the SR-20 route is classified as the Top 5 must-try motorcycle routes in the entire US.

Even though I enjoyed riding whole day, if I were to do this type of route again (i.e. more than 10 hours route), I would certainly sleep overnight somewhere. I'm too old to ride 12 hours in a single day. The final last 5 hours became a chore because I was racing against the setting sun; mainly, I do not like to ride after dark.

If anyone in WA have not tried this Loop or if you are visiting, you should try it. You will feel a little small, surrounded by the giant sky-scraping mountains right after you pass the Washington Pass Overlook. I can park on the side and just marvel at those giants forever ... it felt amazing to soak it all in.

Sky Mountain Natural landscape Road surface Asphalt

Water Sky Mountain Water resources Cloud

Plant Mountain Sky Vehicle Cloud
Sky Mountain Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle

Sky Mountain Plant Road surface Asphalt
Sky Cloud Plant Mountain Infrastructure

Vehicle Land vehicle Motor vehicle Car Wheel
Sky Plant Water Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Sky Mountain Plant Asphalt Road surface

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've definitely got to do that route. Out of curiosity, was there any fire activity along the way. I was thinking of heading that way a month or so ago, but was under the impression that there was still a large fire NW of the Twisp/Winthrop area.

Regardless thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've definitely got to do that route. Out of curiosity, was there any fire activity along the way. I was thinking of heading that way a month or so ago, but was under the impression that there was still a large fire NW of the Twisp/Winthrop area.

Regardless thanks for sharing.
Nope, all fires are gone in this area --- all clear.
Some hotels (like the Sun Mt. Lodge) are in the middle of fixing smoke damages. I ate lunch at Winthrop. Downtown area looks fine to me.

Reactions: FeralRdr

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation. Don't know if the weather will hold off long enough to make a run this Fall, but maybe next summer if not.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the rain is returning and it will become harder to find long stretches of sunshine. 2-3 days stretches of dry spells may still be found in the weekdays if you search deep enough.
SR-20 is usually closed somewhere around mid-Nov at the Washington Pass area and I think they also block it from the Mazama side.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Fires didn't really dampen this route all year this year. Just a bit of smoke by Chelan once. It's about a 410 mile loop for me (excluding Whidbey Island) but I always peel off on 530 at Rockport and head southwest (assuming 2 east, 20 west). We lunched in Twisp on Thursday. It's getting kind of late in the year now. It's an easier ride in June, July & August with the longer daylight hours but often hotter than hades on the east side.

Republic or Kettle Falls are decent overnight stops. 20 is pretty nice (if not as scenic) on the east side of the state as well.

Another sweet overnight loop is up and over Canada 3 through Manning Provincial park. Stay in Osoyoos/Oroville or on to Republic and then back over 20. That's a 650 mile loop for me in Everett.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the wild fire situation. My plans have been along what Kenors recommends. I'd rather do it in two days with an overnight in the Winthrop/Twisp area, or extend it into a two night trip by going farther East towards the areas Arthury recommended in previous threads. If we hit a long enough dry spell in the next few weeks, I just may have to head North.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Yeah, the riding season ended here at about 1PM today. Glad I got in one last donut run out Hibridge/Ben Howard this morning. Looks like a full week of nasty weather ahead...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any video from the trip? What’s the round gadget on your windscreen?
The round gadget is the Beeline Navigator from England. It's pretty useful and I use it as my primary navigation device for all of my trips. Garmin is my backup.

As for videos, I have a ton: 2 goPro Hero9's and goProMax360.
Just didn't have to the time to edit them. I'm planning to do the editing when the riding season is officially over for WA State, which I think @kenors has declared it today. Video editing (is very time-consuming) usually occurs when I'm in winter hiding, no where to go and stuck at home.

I'm still hoping for some Indian summers along the way to slip in more ridings.... we'll see ...

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I usually consider the "real" riding season over when they get snow in the passes and I'm limited to local only rides. I never put the bike away and any time a nice (def: no rain) day comes along I'm out for a putt. That's what the heated gear and touring screen are for!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I usually consider the "real" riding season over when they get snow in the passes and I'm limited to local only rides. I never put the bike away and any time a nice (def: no rain) day comes along I'm out for a putt. That's what the heated gear and touring screen are for!
I should consider getting some heated stuffs.
Thanks for bringing those up.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Great pictures - thx for sharing!

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
125 Posts
Dang. That's really beautiful. If it wouldn't take me all day just to get to Washington, I'd go riding with you all the time :D

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
See... this is why I'm so glad I live here in flat-as-Mariah-Carey-before-surgery Gulf Coast.

If I live where y'all live, I would take a wrong turn on the commute to work, and end up in the mountains all day.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dang. That's really beautiful. If it wouldn't take me all day just to get to Washington, I'd go riding with you all the time :D
I'm sure you have mountains just as good as ours among the Rockies in Colorado.

See... this is why I'm so glad I live here in flat-as-Mariah-Carey-before-surgery Gulf Coast.

If I live where y'all live, I would take a wrong turn on the commute to work, and end up in the mountains all day.
ha ha ... depending on where you are in the Gulf Coast, you may end up in the hill countries of Texas (like @jjscsix) ... you'll still not be at work. :ROFLMAO:
I'll leave Mariah out of this.

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
181 Posts
I regret never riding through North Cascades while I lived somewhat closer. Always passed by the turn off on my mad dash to the border.

What's the latticed extension you have going from the GoPro to the ram mount?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I regret never riding through North Cascades while I lived somewhat closer. Always passed by the turn off on my mad dash to the border.

What's the latticed extension you have going from the GoPro to the ram mount?
it's this one ... (Korean made, I think)..

It's most useful for the goProMax360.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts