Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the riding season is coming fast to a close here in eastern Canada, I was just wondering who is still riding these days?

I no longer ride into work in the mornings, just too darn cold, here in Ottawa.
But I am hoping to get out this Sunday for a little ride.
Not ready yet to throw in the towel!
Lol

Cheers,
Den

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Still riding... the desert east of San Diego is just now cooling off enough to ride comfortably. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
im the new guy with my first post. living in north west ohio, and picking up my new 14 n1k tomarrow. riding season isnt over for me just yet. just makes the first modification happen quicker, the heated grips, must have for me. i know its not canada, just on the opposite side of lake erie.....

·
Registered
229 Posts
I, too, stopped commuting to work. In the AM's, it's dark and lots of deer on my 30 min hwy commute to work. No fun.

Getting cool but still riding weather here. It's winding down tho.

What I've noticed too is with the angle of the sun changing later in the days, it creates lot more shadows making it trickier to read the road conditions.

Going to get out 2moro. 8 deg C and sunny. Gotta get out there while I can !

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sorry guys, But On my side of the Equator riding depends mostly on nothing. The winter creates no real change, nor does any season. Its Kinda Sunny Year round. So I ride at least twice a week. Keep in mind though, I was born in a seasonal East Palo Alto California...... But since age 10 been in the 808 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Lucky I live Hawaii, I guess

·
Registered
82 Posts
Still riding down this way (Southern Az).. Was around 90f this last weekend. It's cooling off though.. only going to be 82f today.. (didn't ride today, had to carpool).

I can't imagine living in the snow belt.. too much non riding season..

~Mark

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Last year in 6 that i haven't ridden all year because of my knee replacement.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Rode to and from work today, will continue doing so until either dead, or ......

can't think of another outcome.

It's glorious to live in a place where you can ride all year long, and to be old enough and have enough life insurance to not worry too much

·
Registered
11,288 Posts
SLC, Utah. I really never stopped last year. There was always one more ride possible. By the time March showed up it was like..... WOW! Mark this season in the history book.

Im hoping for the same this year.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Year round in Phoenix, just hitting our sweet part of the year now. Summers are freakin hot but not impossible.

Guess thats why i have 30k on my 2012 already....

·
Registered
483 Posts
OHIO - tires are crap and its raining/windy/cold every **** time I get the chance so took the insurance off today :/

Past few years I have been able to ride at least once every month. Guess I need to wait for the salt to get washed off the road in March before I am back on it :/

·
Registered
828 Posts
Still riding in SoCal and plan to all winter long. I will be adding heated grips though to make the trips up north more tolerable. It was already down to the 40 degree range in one of the mountain passes I ride through. Not too much longer and I might have to take the longer way up north and follow the coast as much as possible. I've had my share of riding in snow and below 0F temps. I will avoid it as much as possible now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay I started this thread for us Canadians stuck in the great white north and the majority of the replies have been from you Americans.
Not that I don't appreciate your interesting local climate comments but now you guys are really rubbing our Canadian faces in it!
Okay already I get it, it's beautiful and sunny and year round riding in your cities!
Geez!
I would love for you guys to come up to Canada and ride in our frigid temps, then you will see what cold really feels like.
It is December now and very cold but I still haven't surrendered yet, Saturday will be plus 4 celcius, not sure what that is in farenheit but it will be cold and I still plan to ride!
Thanks for the comments but please it would be more appreciated if you posted pics of you guys freezing your balls off on a cold ride instead of sunny Hawaii!
Lol

·
Registered
828 Posts
While I am not in Canada, I have already ridden in some cold temps. It was -3C the other day where I was at in California. Not exactly warm to say the least. Where I lived in New Mexico, I often rode in sub 0 temps F just had to watch the snow and glad I had heated gear.

I love riding in Canada as well other than law enforcement is so strict. I've had too many encounters with the OPP when in Ontario. I did enjoy quite a bit riding in Halifax. I was on a project for some time there and it was an amazing place to ride. Now I have easier access again to Banff, Lake Louise, Vancouver and that area and plan to head back there new summer.

To be honest, I've had enough of cold weather. I lived in Siberia for some time and if you want to talk about cold, that is really cold there. I was one of the few people riding as late as I could and that meant on into snow. When it got really bad I would take out my 2WD Ural with a sidecar. Surprisingly I wasn't the only one.

So NinjaDen, believe me when I say I feel your pain. At least you can get out on a snowmobile and ride. I enjoyed that for many years as well. Now I just try to avoid snow and cold as much as I can. The only plus I can think of for snow (other than water supply in the summer) is it makes for good snuggle weather...

·
Registered
206 Posts
NinjaDen,
I was born in Sherbrooke, Quebec. But have lived in the states most of my life.
Once you enjoy a full winter of riding, you never want to go back...
I just completed a 4600 mile ride, pulling a trailer with my Yamaha Tenere from New Mexico, to Myrtle beach, down to Key west, and all around the gulf to South Padre Island. At times, it was cold, windy, and rained. But all in all, a great trip.
It was certainly great relaxing on a beach in 70 degree weather sipping on a cold beverage, while reading of the snow back home in New Mexico ;-)

It was 28 degrees when we left, we were running from the storm that just came through and dumped snow on the midwest, and returning through Texas were rained on the last two days. It was still an enjoyable trip, and I'd do it again.

Take some vacation and come on down!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts