Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I act like im out there, pushing limits. Really, I'm more like the embalmed guy, 90% of the time. I have not had too many street rides where consequences didnt factor in, somehow. There were a few times when I didnt care, or didnt have time to care, but finding a place where you can use these bikes, in their upper 25% is difficult. We had open roads, years ago, but those are filled with Wal Mart and Applebees.

That's why dirt riding is better. You might risk physical injury, but you can find the bikes limits, and use them.
I have been away from bikes for about 11 years - went back and joined a few Facebook groups to find riding buddies - realised I now talk like a sports bike rider but ride like a Harley touring rider :)

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I"m getting a little bored with the street. Either I need to do some track or hit some dirt to perk things up a bit. And the street wouldn't be as boring if there weren't so many turds in the way and I could open it up more.

It's getting more stupid as well. Ever since covid the twistie areas are strewn with a-hole hikers, even on weekdays, who pull off to the side of the road to park when looking for a trail. Then they pull out in illegal u-turns right in front of you when they're leaving, as you're coming around a blind corner. I lost a riding acquaintance from that very same thing a few years ago, and it's worse now. I'm all for hiking, do a decent bit myself, but I don't treat mountain roads like they are my driveway. When I pull out on the road I turn around when/where it's safe to do so, not a u-turn from a dead stop on the side of the road across a double yellow.

I would kill for some dirt roads to be able to tool around on.

·
Premium Member
13,501 Posts
Rock, even our local dirt areas are not what they once were. Our state pretty much watched the places where riders were riding. As soon as they saw any sizable amount of riders there, they put up a ranger station and started charging $$ to ride there.

It's not much money, but its money that is stolen. They dont spend the money on the riding area. How would you improve a pile of sand?

I enjoy the machines, themselves, too much to not own something. If working on my bikes, in my garage , was a career, that's what I would do.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I'd pay a "toll" to be able to use dirt roads. Will never happen around here though. They don't even want bicycles off road.

·
Premium Member
13,501 Posts
Years ago, our local police departments would close down a section of the highway. The money went to charity, but for 5k, they let the cars drive as fast as they wanted to on this 13 mile section of closed road.

They have not run it after this guy crashed.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Years ago, our local police departments would close down a section of the highway. The money went to charity, but for 5k, they let the cars drive as fast as they wanted to on this 13 mile section of closed road.

They have not run it after this guy crashed.

I remember that. If I recall correctly, he spent a fortune rebuilding the Enzo because it had the serial number to make it back to a “real” Enzo.

·
Registered
729 Posts
It's tough here, no public offroads and few race tracks. At this point I don't even let myself go on the highway because I go way too fast and the cops stake it out, and people can call the cops and record on their phones. There's some nice roads further out that are deserted. It does get old though, riding the same few roads over and over. And at this point, just riding around the town isn't fun anymore.

·
Premium Member
13,501 Posts
I only had the one night where I used the concours 14 for what it was built for. I had lost my wallet, along I 15, near the Nevada border. It fell out of my pocket when I was changing a flat tire. We were flying out, on Monday. This was Friday, so replacing my drivers license wasn't an option.

I held 130-140 for a total of @180 miles. I had to slow down to avoid running out of fuel. You only get about 20-30 minutes before you have burned up 4 gallons at those speeds, and I really didn't know what sort of range I had, riding like that.

Driving out to get it was so much fun, I drove home the same way. The bike was brilliant. You could tell that the suspension was designed around these speeds as was the fairing, seat and even the riding position.

It wasn't scary and the traffic was minimal. It sucked when the night was over. I knew I really couldn't do this again as the legal risks were too great, and I've got this amazing bike that I can use to about 30%, legally.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Different strokes I guess. My one and only sustained very high speed jaunt came when my riding buddy's father had a heart attack in Chicago. We had to get from Seattle to Chicago stat! Since he refuses to fly we took the bikes (him: Concours 1k, me: VFR800). Hit Montana on I-90 and it was 120-125 until I ran low on gas. Gas up. Repeat. One short night in SD and off again. Thrilling for 15 minutes and then it became a complete tiring drag. He had the same reaction. It probably didn't help that it was near 100 degrees but we've never been tempted to do it again. We both like to wring it out from time to time and on most riding days there are times... but speed alone just doesn't do it for us. 2 lane scenic curvy mountains for 10-12 hours a day is much more appealing than WFO until you drop. We took two days to cover 2100 miles going and 4 days coming home with a lot less freeway miles and a lot more curves, corners and scenic views.

BTW, like RC, the VFR and Concours both felt right at home at those speeds. In fact, I remember thinking exactly what he said about the suspension. At speed, things were smoother than they felt at regular freeway speeds. I felt like the VFR was made to run like that. The other thought was how much more capable the bike was than I was.

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
riding scenic roads for hours at 35 mph gets old real fast. I'll take my convertible if that's what I want to do. Taking in the scenery isn't exactly optimal for motorcycle safety anyway, but at slow speeds I'm sure it's not as much an issue.

I'm usually focused on what's in front of me while in the twisties and I enjoy them at a speed that doesn't allow for any significant break in focus, so scenery is of lesser importance then the riding itself, but that's just me and the limitations I have to deal with. In the really tight technical stuff I'm not exactly scraping knees, but not exactly putting along either, and casual paces get boring after any significant length of time. No where in that implies speeds of over 100 mph have to be maintained, but as fast as "possible" is always ideal. Maybe that's 20mph, maybe it's 120 mph. It's all relative.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You have to love the new Suzuki display and app integration for maps and phone compared to the Kawasaki Rideology. Night and Day.
I think going forward that will be something we start to see as updates to all bikes - Its not that hard for them to add the integration at a factory level and people can choose to use it or not. Apple Car Play / Android would be awesome on bikes.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You have to love the new Suzuki display and app integration for maps and phone compared to the Kawasaki Rideology. Night and Day.
To be fair, it's not hard to be better than Rideology. That app is hot garbage. Like saying Derek Jeter is a better ball player than my 8 year old nephew. :D

But yes, I do hope they get the integration right. Primarily for navigation, at least for me. I wouldn't use it for calls or what not. Maybe music.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Unless the app tracks 0-60/100, GPS speed, don't care. I will go deaf in a year if I listened to music and rode.

And I probably shouldn't have those tracked anyway lol

·
Premium Member
13,501 Posts
I think Suzuki made a huge mistake when they didnt include the cornering abs and six axis imu. I wouldnt buy a new, big bike that didnt have that system. It's a safety issue.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think Suzuki made a huge mistake when they didnt include the cornering abs and six axis imu. I wouldnt buy a new, big bike that didnt have that system. It's a safety issue.
A big issue I'm seeing is a lack of a "Suzuki Performance Package" that includes an extended swingarm, New York Yankees stickers, and chrome rims. They really failed to appeal to their Puerto Rican fanbase.

·
Premium Member
13,501 Posts
I know this bike looks taller, more adv like, and it is basically an African Twin, but is it in the class? Would it be in the conversation if you were looking at the Ninja, or a Suzuki? I think Honda is calling it an NT1100. If you look up "cb1100" you get the old, retro bike.
Tire Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive lighting

81 - 100 of 136 Posts